Mens Tennis Forums banner

gasquet/ginepri: a similar version of federer/roddick?

1K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  silverwhite 
#1 ·
gasquet is pure talent as well. just like fed. ginepri is like the blue collar player, just like roddick.

discuss...

#2 ·
I think that's too big of a generalization to be made. I can see the comparison between Federer and Gasquet, though they have differences, too. However, Ginepri doesn't have a game like Roddick's - his serve isn't as big, his backhand is probably better, he's more of a scrambler/poor man's Agassi with better defensive technique, etc. (I'm sure you can put it more eloquently than I did.)

#3 ·
GAsquet is pure talent. He hit some unbelieveable BH's tonight. Ginepri is getting the most out of his talent but he is no comparison to Roddick. Although Roddick lacks a lot of things, the things that he does do well i.e. the power game is so big that it separates him from the likes of Ginepri.

#5 ·
Gasquet is simply talented.

Ginepri isn't extremely talented. Like James Blake, he is having a good season. However, Roddick is still more gifted than Ginepri.....................hence Roddick top 10 and Ginepri ???............I don't know his ranking.

#6 ·
Comparing Gasquet to Fed is appropriate - his shots and point construction are remniscent of Fed but I don't agree with the Ginepri/Roddick comparision. They are different players. Ginepri is a grinder on HC just like a grinding player on clay for example. He reminds me more of Davydenko than Roddick.

#7 ·
mangoes said:
Gasquet is simply talented.

Ginepri isn't extremely talented. Like James Blake, he is having a good season. However, Roddick is still more gifted than Ginepri.....................hence Roddick top 10 and Ginepri ???............I don't know his ranking.
ginepri's talent is being underrated. he has always had ability and been a talented shotmaker. this summer by all accounts he settled down and has had a great run. you cant do that without some natural talent. he beat safin and roddick and also came unbelievably close to beating federer. not bad for a guy with such limited ability...

#8 ·
The 3 match points that an indifferent Roddick wasted and a bad line call in Indianapolis (Ginepri served the ball 2 inches out) saved Ginepri from losing. That's after Roddick barely had any practice time and did a lot of partying before the tournament. More like the umpire beat Roddick.
Don't make me laugh.

#9 ·
don't compare ginepri and roddick on the serve alone. of course that would be different.

what i meant here is the "blue collar" factor.

if fed is a white collar due to the graceful way he plays, roddick and ginperi have grind and grit in their games. meaning a lot of effort is being used to win points...

#10 ·
Roddick was & never is athletic & very fit. He treated tennis as a joke for 2 years. Careless serving & tanking matches aren't what I call a lot of effort. If he had loved tennis & had a real coach, not a clueless buddy, maybe we can describe him as a fighting grinder.

In contrast, people like Nadal, Verdasco & Massu are going to play for more than a decade.

Ginepri's not winning when he faces a solid hardcourt player. He's not winning clay events. He has only 1 grass title in Newport.

#12 ·
Ginepri is the sexiest thing out there. And he has a nice game too. Where are the haters now :boxing: :mad: ? Robbie reached QF on a GS :bowdown: :yeah:

#14 ·
federer express said:
ginepri's talent is being underrated. he has always had ability and been a talented shotmaker. this summer by all accounts he settled down and has had a great run. you cant do that without some natural talent. he beat safin and roddick and also came unbelievably close to beating federer. not bad for a guy with such limited ability...
Is he really underrated that's the question? Maybe it was because he was overrated previously. The guy is a pure hardcourt player, not that this is a bad thing in the tennis world and he is getting his best results here and that's not surprising. You make him out like he's a talent like Verdasco or Berdych, he's not.
He's fast, fit and mechanical and does well on hardcourts.

#15 ·
Gasquet showed his talent in the last match against Ginepri..it's not like Ginepri has no talent at all, but in the first place he's a strong shotmaker machine..that's what he relies as a basis..i am not a fan of Gasquet , but he's got a respected ability to make out beautiful shots, and tactics, so far his temporarily loss of concentration, and fitness are his biggest minuses..but honestly i don't see him as Federer the second..and for me, it's too early to judge Ginepri as a similarity of Roddick,

#16 ·
megadeth said:
don't compare ginepri and roddick on the serve alone. of course that would be different.

what i meant here is the "blue collar" factor.

if fed is a white collar due to the graceful way he plays, roddick and ginperi have grind and grit in their games. meaning a lot of effort is being used to win points...
Just because someone isn't as graceful as Fed doesn't mean they are blue collar. Blue collar would be someone like Hewitt or Nadal or Coria.

#17 ·
Hardly. Gasquet can hit the ball with power off both wings (along with all the other guys in the top 100) and that's about it. No weapons. No serve. I lost count how many times his serve landed in the middle of the service box. Which brings me to Ginepri. How can a player who doesn't register and take advantage of such poor serves go higher than the 30's in ranking?

To get into the top 10, especially top 5, it takes the right kind of mind for the game. I've seen no evidence that Ginepri and Gasquet have such minds. Not in the same league as Federer or Roddick by a long shot.

If Gasquet ever wants to get into the top 5, he has to change that serve and he better get started on it right now.

#18 ·
wcr said:
Hardly. Gasquet can hit the ball with power off both wings (along with all the other guys in the top 100) and that's about it. No weapons. No serve. I lost count how many times his serve landed in the middle of the service box. Which brings me to Ginepri. How can a player who doesn't register and take advantage of such poor serves go higher than the 30's in ranking?

To get into the top 10, especially top 5, it takes the right kind of mind for the game. I've seen no evidence that Ginepri and Gasquet have such minds. Not in the same league as Federer or Roddick by a long shot.

If Gasquet ever wants to get into the top 5, he has to change that serve and he better get started on it right now.
do you watch tennis? gasquet has a great serve...

#20 ·
federer express said:
do you watch tennis? gasquet has a great serve...
Yes I was watching the match last night on TV until USA Networks cut it off. Like I said, I lost count how many of Gasquet serves never went deeper than halfway in the serve box. Weak. He hits the ball above his head. That's sort of OK for topspin second serves but certainly not for first serves. Could not believe how Ginepri let him get away with it.

#21 ·
wcr said:
Yes I was watching the match last night on TV until USA Networks cut it off. Like I said, I lost count how many of Gasquet serves never went deeper than halfway in the serve box. Weak. He hits the ball above his head. That's sort of OK for topspin second serves but certainly not for first serves. Could not believe how Ginepri let him get away with it.
well you should also know that gasquet is injured presently. judge a shot in future on more than just one match.

#23 · (Edited)
federer express said:
well you should also know that gasquet is injured presently. judge a shot in future on more than just one match.
Ditto Gasquet has a great serve, just watch his matches prior to Toronto and you can see the difference in his serving

wcr said:
So it's the injury that caused the weak serves that I pointed out? What kind of injury? How does it impact his serve and the rest of his game?
He has been battling a tennis elbow which really hampers his lifting and rotation of his elbow. His strokes may be not as effective but its more prominent during serve because of the rotation, I believe. Plz correct me someone if I am wrong :wavey:

#24 ·
oneandonlyhsn said:
He has been battling a tennis elbow which really hampers his lifting and rotation of his elbow. His strokes may be not as effective but its more prominent during serve because of the rotation, I believe. Plz correct me someone if I am wrong :wavey:
Tennis elbow? How bizaar. He should review his technique if he's getting tennis elbow as a pro. Especially if it's affecting his serve.

The only folks I know with tennis elbow are amateurs who are either hitting the ball behind them or too earlier. Shouldn't be the case with Gasquet given his training. Come to think of it, this is the first time I've heard of a pro with tennis elbow. Are there more cases of it out there?

#25 ·
wcr said:
Tennis elbow? How bizaar. He should review his technique if he's getting tennis elbow as a pro. Especially if it's affecting his serve.

The only folks I know with tennis elbow are amateurs who are either hitting the ball behind them or too earlier. Shouldn't be the case with Gasquet given his training. Come to think of it, this is the first time I've heard of a pro with tennis elbow. Are there more cases of it out there?
It could be due to the huge swings he takes on the BH.

Baghdatis suffered from it too, I heard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.