Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gasquet is pure talent as well. just like fed. ginepri is like the blue collar player, just like roddick.

discuss...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,235 Posts
I think that's too big of a generalization to be made. I can see the comparison between Federer and Gasquet, though they have differences, too. However, Ginepri doesn't have a game like Roddick's - his serve isn't as big, his backhand is probably better, he's more of a scrambler/poor man's Agassi with better defensive technique, etc. (I'm sure you can put it more eloquently than I did.)
 

·
Fed Fo Mod
Joined
·
11,233 Posts
GAsquet is pure talent. He hit some unbelieveable BH's tonight. Ginepri is getting the most out of his talent but he is no comparison to Roddick. Although Roddick lacks a lot of things, the things that he does do well i.e. the power game is so big that it separates him from the likes of Ginepri.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,772 Posts
ginepri gets no credit at all on this board. for a guy who serves well, is strong off both wings and moves very well i think he can consider himself hard done by the posters here...
 

·
Comparisons are Odious
Joined
·
10,541 Posts
Gasquet is simply talented.

Ginepri isn't extremely talented. Like James Blake, he is having a good season. However, Roddick is still more gifted than Ginepri.....................hence Roddick top 10 and Ginepri ???............I don't know his ranking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,789 Posts
Comparing Gasquet to Fed is appropriate - his shots and point construction are remniscent of Fed but I don't agree with the Ginepri/Roddick comparision. They are different players. Ginepri is a grinder on HC just like a grinding player on clay for example. He reminds me more of Davydenko than Roddick.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,772 Posts
mangoes said:
Gasquet is simply talented.

Ginepri isn't extremely talented. Like James Blake, he is having a good season. However, Roddick is still more gifted than Ginepri.....................hence Roddick top 10 and Ginepri ???............I don't know his ranking.
ginepri's talent is being underrated. he has always had ability and been a talented shotmaker. this summer by all accounts he settled down and has had a great run. you cant do that without some natural talent. he beat safin and roddick and also came unbelievably close to beating federer. not bad for a guy with such limited ability...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,580 Posts
The 3 match points that an indifferent Roddick wasted and a bad line call in Indianapolis (Ginepri served the ball 2 inches out) saved Ginepri from losing. That's after Roddick barely had any practice time and did a lot of partying before the tournament. More like the umpire beat Roddick.
Don't make me laugh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
don't compare ginepri and roddick on the serve alone. of course that would be different.

what i meant here is the "blue collar" factor.

if fed is a white collar due to the graceful way he plays, roddick and ginperi have grind and grit in their games. meaning a lot of effort is being used to win points...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,580 Posts
Roddick was & never is athletic & very fit. He treated tennis as a joke for 2 years. Careless serving & tanking matches aren't what I call a lot of effort. If he had loved tennis & had a real coach, not a clueless buddy, maybe we can describe him as a fighting grinder.

In contrast, people like Nadal, Verdasco & Massu are going to play for more than a decade.

Ginepri's not winning when he faces a solid hardcourt player. He's not winning clay events. He has only 1 grass title in Newport.
 

·
F***ing have it
Joined
·
17,555 Posts
Ginepri is the sexiest thing out there. And he has a nice game too. Where are the haters now :boxing: :mad: ? Robbie reached QF on a GS :bowdown: :yeah:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
Kinda, kinda...Ginepri´s game is obviously more built around defense than Roddick´s. The guy moves amazingly well and is solid from both wings. Roddick obviously has better weapons, hence his results..
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,507 Posts
federer express said:
ginepri's talent is being underrated. he has always had ability and been a talented shotmaker. this summer by all accounts he settled down and has had a great run. you cant do that without some natural talent. he beat safin and roddick and also came unbelievably close to beating federer. not bad for a guy with such limited ability...
Is he really underrated that's the question? Maybe it was because he was overrated previously. The guy is a pure hardcourt player, not that this is a bad thing in the tennis world and he is getting his best results here and that's not surprising. You make him out like he's a talent like Verdasco or Berdych, he's not.
He's fast, fit and mechanical and does well on hardcourts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,977 Posts
Gasquet showed his talent in the last match against Ginepri..it's not like Ginepri has no talent at all, but in the first place he's a strong shotmaker machine..that's what he relies as a basis..i am not a fan of Gasquet , but he's got a respected ability to make out beautiful shots, and tactics, so far his temporarily loss of concentration, and fitness are his biggest minuses..but honestly i don't see him as Federer the second..and for me, it's too early to judge Ginepri as a similarity of Roddick,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,037 Posts
megadeth said:
don't compare ginepri and roddick on the serve alone. of course that would be different.

what i meant here is the "blue collar" factor.

if fed is a white collar due to the graceful way he plays, roddick and ginperi have grind and grit in their games. meaning a lot of effort is being used to win points...
Just because someone isn't as graceful as Fed doesn't mean they are blue collar. Blue collar would be someone like Hewitt or Nadal or Coria.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Hardly. Gasquet can hit the ball with power off both wings (along with all the other guys in the top 100) and that's about it. No weapons. No serve. I lost count how many times his serve landed in the middle of the service box. Which brings me to Ginepri. How can a player who doesn't register and take advantage of such poor serves go higher than the 30's in ranking?

To get into the top 10, especially top 5, it takes the right kind of mind for the game. I've seen no evidence that Ginepri and Gasquet have such minds. Not in the same league as Federer or Roddick by a long shot.

If Gasquet ever wants to get into the top 5, he has to change that serve and he better get started on it right now.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,772 Posts
wcr said:
Hardly. Gasquet can hit the ball with power off both wings (along with all the other guys in the top 100) and that's about it. No weapons. No serve. I lost count how many times his serve landed in the middle of the service box. Which brings me to Ginepri. How can a player who doesn't register and take advantage of such poor serves go higher than the 30's in ranking?

To get into the top 10, especially top 5, it takes the right kind of mind for the game. I've seen no evidence that Ginepri and Gasquet have such minds. Not in the same league as Federer or Roddick by a long shot.

If Gasquet ever wants to get into the top 5, he has to change that serve and he better get started on it right now.
do you watch tennis? gasquet has a great serve...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
federer express said:
do you watch tennis? gasquet has a great serve...
I agree ,a very good serve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
federer express said:
do you watch tennis? gasquet has a great serve...
Yes I was watching the match last night on TV until USA Networks cut it off. Like I said, I lost count how many of Gasquet serves never went deeper than halfway in the serve box. Weak. He hits the ball above his head. That's sort of OK for topspin second serves but certainly not for first serves. Could not believe how Ginepri let him get away with it.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top