Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Wawrinka's won a slam and his backhand is a thing of beauty. However, Gasquet's is just eye candy to watch as well. I think if Gasquet was mentally stronger he would be the overall better player.

What do you guy's think?

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
In the title you compare the BH...then the mental aspect..

Wawrinka is better in everything.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,192 Posts
Gasquet's has better placement while Wawrinka's has better pace so the latter is more suited to the tennis of this century.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Gasquet's BH would be a lot more effective if he didn't stand so far behind the baseline to hit it 90% of the time.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Personally I prefer Wawrinka's backhand. It is more of an offensive weapon, Gasquet has more topspin generally and plays it safer.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Gasquet creates more angles, can generate insane amounts of spins, and can rip it even harder than Stan (160+ km/h!!!!), but he does so rarely. Overall it's a better weapon on clay than Stan's.

Stan's needs less preparation, and generally has more pace. It's a better weapon on hard courts.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Not necessarily, he has more time this way, probably would be shanking much more if he were on the baseline
He may have more time, but it doesn't help him at all. For all the ability he has on his backhand, he wastes a bit of it by standing too far back and spinning it in.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Gasquet's is better as he is a top 10-15 with no FH and not much else his BH is beautiful and it's a pity he decides to stand 10 foot behind the baseline and push with it makes it seem less effective.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Gasquet has a better all-round backhand. He can do anything with it and the only real limitation is his court positioning. Wawrinka's backhand is good for shotmaking when it's in his strike zone, but it can be exposed far more readily than Gasquet's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts