Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gasquet is capable of playing tantalizing, aggressive tennis. He is fully capable at net and actually has a decent offensive slice. His backhand can hit clean winners and his forehand (when attacking) can paint the lines.

Instead, he opts for defensive play and has done so for about 3/4th's of his career. He pretends to be Nadal and attempts to win points 5 meters behind the baseline. Hence his success with titles...

Wimbledon
This Gasquet....for the first time in years, stayed directly on the baseline and went for all his shots and actually came to net. He stepped up when it mattered most and was not afraid to exchange with Wawrkina on the backhand side.

Where has this Gasquet been for the past 10 years? Is there really a reason he doesn't play like this more often? Maestro Gasquet?

What are your thoughts on 29 yr. old Gasquet making the Semis for the second time since 2007.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
That's true 100%. Shame such a talented player turned into boring pusher. Dimitrov walks the same way
But at this event Richie decided to recall how he can play

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
And that's what's has been happening to Gregoria, with the results we all know. Players shouldn't avoid their DNA

·
Premium Member
21,476 Posts
Gasquet is capable of playing tantalizing, aggressive tennis. He is fully capable at net and actually has a decent offensive slice. His backhand can hit clean winners and his forehand (when attacking) can paint the lines.
You pretty much described an in-form Federer there, which Gasquet is most certainly not.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,385 Posts
His FH is a weak shot, even if he can make it work on grass, because on this surface a decently well placed shot will allways put pressure on the opponent. Gasquet's FH simply lacks the pace to go toe to toe with the other top players, so outside of grass he has no choice but to stay behind and push. The guy is very talented and is definitely not dumb, so you would think he would be more offensive if he could, but the truth is, he can't.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
His FH is for me a big mystery : why the hell doesn't he hit it like he's consistently done in that Wimbledon?
To be fair though, he often hits it well on Grass.
I also think that some of his losses to some "pushers" in the past (his famous match against Murray in 2008 comes to mind) might have made him think about not playing as offensively as he did at the beginning of his career.....which was the stupidest thing to do considering his poor fitness.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also there were moments where he played like Federer, Television.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Oh by the way, after this match, what is people's opinion about the "who has the best 1H BH between Wawa and Gasquet?"?

·
Registered
749 Posts
His FH is for me a big mystery : why the hell doesn't he hit it like he's consistently done in that Wimbledon?
To be fair though, he often hits it well on Grass.
I also think that some of his losses to some "pushers" in the past (his famous match against Murray in 2008 comes to mind) might have made think about not playing as offensively as he did at the beginning of his career.....which was the stupidest thing to do considering his poor fitness.
You really believe that one match changed his career direction?

It wasn't Murray's 'pushing' that won that match, it was Murray's superior defense due to his superior fitness.

You yourself in your last line have summed up why Richard has not reached the level he should...lack of fitness.

He has all the shots in the game but compared to Murray who approaches slams like an Ironman contest, Gasguet has just went with the flow. I think it's fair to suggest Richard is slightly more laissez-faire to use a French term than the top, top players in non-tennis activities.

Perhaps Richard has finally got serious and got seriously fit - he certainly seemed so in the fifth set today.

About time.

·
Registered
27,280 Posts
Oh by the way, after this match, what is people's opinion about the "who has the best 1H BH between Wawa and Gasquet?"?
On grass Gasquet's is easily superior. Wawrinka's backhand has always been one dimensional - it's good at flat offensive shot making and mediocre at everything else.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,385 Posts

It wasn't Murray's 'pushing' that won that match, it was Murray's superior defense due to his superior fitness.

You yourself in your last line have summed up why Richard has not reached the level he should...lack of fitness.

He has all the shots in the game but compared to Murray who approaches slams like an Ironman contest, Gasguet has just went with the flow. I think it's fair to suggest Richard is slightly more laissez-faire to use a French term than the top, top players in non-tennis activities.

Perhaps Richard has finally got serious and got seriously fit - he certainly seemed so in the fifth set today.

About time.
No, he lacks a FH, one of the most important shots in tennis.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
There was a lot more depth in Wawrinka's backhand but Gasquet's versatility particularly the slice basically won him the match.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts

About time.
I was caricaturing a bit Murray's match against Gasquet of course but you have to admit that in this match, Gasquet was the agressor for at least 60-70% of time (and even more before his fitness went AWOL).
Agree though that his fitness has been a big problem in his career and probably lost him many matches.
And about your last sentence, it's funny because Djoker just said ahead of this 1/2 final with him that he thought the biggest improvement in Gasquet's game in last few months has been his fitness.

·
Registered
749 Posts
No, he lacks a FH, one of the more important shots in tennis.
Murray's won 2 slams lacking a great FH.

Nole's is nothing to write home about.

It's a key shot yes but if the rest of your game is great, a decent to good forehand can see success.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He fixed his fitness back in 2013, but did not change his strategy at all.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I was caricaturing a bit Murray's match against Gasquet of course but you have to admit that in this match, Gasquet was the agressor for at least 60-70% of time (and even more before his fitness went AWOL).
Agree though that his fitness has been a big problem in his career and probably lost him many matches.
And about your last sentence, it's funny because Djoker just said ahead of this 1/2 final with him that he thought the biggest improvement in Gasquet's game in last few months has been his fitness.
Then I totally agree with Nole.

Gasguet's probably fitter now than he's ever been, hence these performances.

Tis only his fault though he wasn't at this level in the past but hey, I like his tennis so am glad to see it.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
There was a lot more depth in Wawrinka's backhand but Gasquet's versatility particularly the slice basically won him the match.
A lot more??
Come on....
Have you seen some of the rockets Gasquet has launched on that side thourough his career (look at some of his matches against Murray or Federer in the past...one of them even made Murray laugh in disbelief, it was at FO 2010 if i remember)??
I'm not sure even Wawrinka has launched comparable rockets from that side
I agree that Wawrinka generally hits harder but that's purely because he is stronger athleticly.
Gasquet's BH is more solid and he can produce crazier angles with it than Wawa can manage with his BH and he can also launch rockets like him.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
A lot more??
Come on....
Have you seen some of the rockets Gasquet has launched on that side thourough his career (look at some of his matches against Murray or Federer in the past...one of them even made Murray laugh in disbelief, it was at FO 2010 if i remember)??
I'm not sure even Wawrinka has launched comparable rockets from that side
I agree that Wawrinka generally hits harder but that's purely because he is stronger athleticly.
Gasquet's BH is more solid and he can produce crazier angles with it than Wawa can manage with his BH and he can also launch rockets like him.

Well look i was praying for Gasquet to hit a slice when they were on a backhand diagonal as he was constantly on the backfoot and slowly losing ground. Gasquet can hit a big one from time to time but as a rallying shot it doesn't have the depth of Wawrinka's.

I remember that Roland Garros match against Murray that was quite impressive, too bad it was one of too many matches where he couldn't finish his opponent off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts