Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for making a typical big 3 thread but I just saw a stat that really surprised me a bit. When you look at it you could say it makes sense but it’s something I overlooked I would say.

Nadal’s with 53 is just lol worthy. Federer kinda expected with him skipping FOs in the later part of his career but Djokovic damn, mad consistency in all slams. A difference of just 3 is incredible and shows his all around consistency. When it comes to consistency he has Fedal beaten for sure.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Yes, Djokovic is a very consistent performer at all slams (this gap is incredibly small) but let's pay tribute to Federer as well - he's still consistency leader imo (but Djoko is getting closer in this regard). He's substantially ahead of Djoko at 3 slam venues and is trailing at the FO by few matches.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Surprising as long as you don't figure out that Nadal's most successful Slam and most successful surface season ends 2-3 weeks before another Slam on completely different surface.

By the way, another "you should have lost more often to make your win placement more balanced" stat.

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
Well, the numbers don't lie, however, we need to take into account two things:

• Nadal's biggest gap is the result of his unparalleled domination at RG
  • Nadal skipped most slams out of the BIG3

Having said that I gotta admit Novak's consistency across all 4 slams is amazing.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
imo, the 3 are more or less consistent.

Nadal dominates unchallenged RG and dodged a few slams off RG when he was not feeling good enough.

Outside of US 2017, Djokovic played all the slams.

Of course, the 3 didn't play Wimb 2020.

Djokovic has 33 and Nadal 34
Before RG 2016, the year of his 35, Federer had played all the slams, too.
Since then he has avoided 4 RG, 2US and probably his 1st AO in 2021.
His record before 2016 was undoubtedly more balanced, with probably a slight delay at RG.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Matches won in slam by Federer after 2015
AO: 24
RG: 5
Wimb: 22
US: 11

Before 2016
AO: 102-24 = 78
RG: 70-5 = 65
Wimb: 101-22 = 79
US: 89-11 = 78

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Sorry for making a typical big 3 thread but I just saw a stat that really surprised me a bit. When you look at it you could say it makes sense but it’s something I overlooked I would say.

Nadal’s with 53 is just lol worthy. Federer kinda expected with him skipping FOs in the later part of his career but Djokovic damn, mad consistency in all slams. A difference of just 3 is incredible and shows his all around consistency. When it comes to consistency he has Fedal beaten for sure.
Consistency of Djokovic also means not being really dominant at any venus, just good.. like having an average grade of 5.0 having on first exam a 4.9 and then 5.1 compared to having a 4.0 and. 6.0 and averaging a 5.0 . People fail to understand this basic principle lol

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Yes, Djokovic is a very consistent performer at all slams (this gap is incredibly small) but let's pay tribute to Federer as well - he's still consistency leader imo (but Djoko is getting closer in this regard). He's substantially ahead of Djoko at 3 slam venues and is trailing at the FO by few matches.
And Nadal for a mug with 1AO has only 10 wins less than the king of AO Djokovic with 8

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Consistency of Djokovic also means not being really dominant at any venus, just good.. like having an average grade of 5.0 having on first exam a 4.9 and then 5.1 compared to having a 4.0 and. 6.0 and averaging a 5.0 . People fail to understand this basic principle lol
The Serbian pusher has won as many AOs as Federer won Wimbledons. Give him some credit lol.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
For indication
Masters

Federer: 59 (7 matchs won since 2015: 52, 5 lost), 17L
Djokovic: 38, 16L
Nadal: 20, 16L

Lendl: 39-10; very consistent 😮
Année Masters Cup
1980FinaleDrapeau : Suède Björn Borg
1981VictoireDrapeau : États-Unis Vitas Gerulaitis
1982VictoireDrapeau : États-Unis John McEnroe
1983FinaleDrapeau : États-Unis John McEnroe
1984FinaleDrapeau : États-Unis John McEnroe
1985VictoireDrapeau : République fédérale d'Allemagne Boris Becker
1986VictoireDrapeau : République fédérale d'Allemagne Boris Becker
1987VictoireDrapeau : Suède Mats Wilander
1988FinaleDrapeau : République fédérale d'Allemagne Boris Becker
19891/2 finaleDrapeau : Suède Stefan Edberg
19901/2 finaleDrapeau : Suède Stefan Edberg
19911/2 finaleDrapeau : États-Unis Pete Sampras
1992Forfait

Sampras: 35-14
eliminated in RR in 1990. Still in 1/2 from 1991 to 2000, 5 W, 1F, 4 1/2

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yes, Djokovic definitely has the most even record of the three, which also shows in the fact that he has won all 9 Masters at least twice. Still, even Nadal is in the top 10 of total number of wins for all four slams, something which nobody outside the top three has achieved. Lendl, Agassi, Sampras and Murray are in the top 10 for three, but miss either Wimbledon or RG.

·
Registered
451 Posts

fake stat then it comes to Federer his had 4-5 more season of slams than both Djokovic and Nadal from 1999-2003 it would be better stat if their same matches but right now its useless stat extra credit at best. there just match wins anyway not titles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wimbledon is a weird case, because Nadal was extremely consistent 2006-2011, reaching at least the final all these years, except 2009 where he skipped the tournament. Then from 2012 he proceeded to play like trash, and 2018-2019 he improved and played alright.
In fact, an amazing stat is that 2006-2011 he only lost to Federer or Djokovic, from 2012-2017 he only lost to subpar players, and 2018-2019 he lost again only against Federer or Djokovic.

·
Registered
451 Posts
its bit of misleading stat with Federer playing more seasons and Nadal injury's etc. but in saying that its Nadal winning 60 plus matches in 3 of the 4 slams with all the injury's is insane. Djokovic 70 plus in all 4 slams out of this world, Federer winning 100 in half the slams and 80 plus in 3 out of 4 is also crazy out of this world as well.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Lendl, Agassi, Sampras and Murray are in the top 10 for three, but miss either Wimbledon or RG.
-Lendl : Wimb 48 (12th after Edberg/Ivanisevic 49, 10th),
He also has 48 won in AO, but a bit biased.
AO is on hard only in 1988 (1/2), after his peak ... even if he wins 2 titles (89-90) and plays another final (91).

-Agassi: Wimb 46, (AO 48, a little biased too because Agassi does not play AO before 1995)

-Sampras: RG 24

-Murray: RG 39

1 - 20 of 22 Posts