Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2015/06/28/actualidad/1435518866_178906.html?id_externo_rsoc=FB_CM

For non-Spanish speakers: she resigned after having a meeting with the Spanish players in London, the Spanish Tennis Federation doesn't accept her resignation, but according to Nadal: "The Spanish Tennis Federation means nothing for us. We don't depend on the Federation. They need the players, we don't need them."

I guess Tio Toni (the same guy who was calling this 41 year-old woman a "girl" in a live debate he had with her) and his cult of misogynistic and racist jerks (Verdasco, Ferrer, etc.) got their own way. Absolutely repugnant.

Reactions: ali

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
Re: Gala León resigns as Spanish Davis Cup team captain

Nadal: "The Spanish Tennis Federation means nothing for us. We don't depend on the Federation. They need the players, we don't need them."
So arrogant and entitled. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

cue in the cultists to defend another case of sexism here ... disgusting

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

cue in the cultists to defend another case of sexism here ... disgusting
If it had been some guy who had been Top 30 in the world but didn't have that much relation with the players none of them would've had that much of a problem.

·
Registered
375 Posts

What a shame. A step backwards, absolutely. Hopefully the rising Spanish players aren't as repugnant.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts

Is this pure sexism? I kind of doubt though, they must have a reason to not accept her that I/We don't know about. She really must be feeling like crap to be treated like this though

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2015/06/28/actualidad/1435518866_178906.html?id_externo_rsoc=FB_CM

For non-Spanish speakers: she resigned after having a meeting with the Spanish players in London, the Spanish Tennis Federation doesn't accept her resignation, but according to Nadal: "The Spanish Tennis Federation means nothing for us. We don't depend on the Federation. They need the players, we don't need them."

I guess Tio Toni (the same guy who was calling this 41 year-old woman a "girl" in a live debate he had with her) and his cult of misogynistic and racist jerks (Verdasco, Ferrer, etc.) got their own way. Absolutely repugnant.
Agreed 100%. This is disgusting. There is no limit to this mafia manipulations.
It is clear now that Ferrer waited for OOP only to make the draw easier for Nadal and more difficult for No1e. And after all this some people have decency to talk about "following the rules".

I am disgusted and disappointed that this gang of thugs is allowed to do this and many other things to the tennis world.

Shame! Shame! Shame!

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I mean don't get me wrong, if it had been Arantxa or Conchita I believe they probably would've been okay about it, but if it had been a male Spanish player who, like Gala, had been ranked Top 30 in the world and who didn't have a very close relation to the other players I believe they definitely would've accepted him.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

surprised Rafa said that many words on the subject, He usually will say, Gala is a fantasitc capitain, I respect her..

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

If it had been some guy who had been Top 30 in the world but didn't have that much relation with the players none of them would've had that much of a problem. I guess you don't think this is sexism?

I try to be understanding of people and their culture but this is sexism and disgusting. what do you expect though? this is the same country in which people throw bananas at soccer players like Dani Alves ... or make monkey chants against Eto'o. I am not saying everyone is racist or sexist, but I think the good guys need to step up and call out racists and sexists among them so this stops

Reactions: JamieBlake

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

I lost all respect I have for Ferrer today.

First withdrawing late on purpose to hurt No1e and help Nadal and now this disgusting, misogynistic and sexist behavior.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

I mean don't get me wrong, if it had been Arantxa or Conchita I believe they probably would've been okay about it, but if it had been a male Spanish player who, like Gala, had been ranked Top 30 in the world and who didn't have a very close relation to the other players I believe they definitely would've accepted him.
I agree with you. I bet most users here had never hear of her before she got the job.

I´m all for equality but try and put people who are better suited for the job.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

So if I understand correctly, she offered her resignation but the RFET President and interim President (the President being currently suspended while they investigate his financial handling) refused to accept it?

And just when I thought this mess couldn't get any messier...

·
Registered
3,854 Posts

While I agree that the Spanish male players are undoubtedly sexist, and some of the comments made about her were a pretty outrageous reflection of that, it isn't obvious to me that sexism is the real problem here, just gives it a particular colour.

Worth noting that the meeting with players referred to, and manifesto they put out, included all of the top female/Fed Cup players as well:

Origen : http://www.tennistopic.com/rod-laver-arena/noticias/las-7-razones-contra-la-rfet/#!prettyPhoto[Gallery]/0/, 28/06/2015.

To all territorial federations, clubs and general sports enthusiasts, especially the tennis ones:

Professional players, male and female, have gathered on Sunday June 28, 2015 in Wimbledon, in order to address the impairment and current situation of Spanish tennis. Once finished this reunion, they exhibit the following items:

1. Null communication between the Royal Spanish Tennis Federation and the professional tennis, especially with members of the Fed Cup and Davis Cup.

2. Lack of a strategic plan for the development and promotion of tennis, not taking advantage the countless successes of our sport.

3. Lack of transparency in the distribution of the resources of the Royal Spanish Tennis Federation.

4. Lack of planning on the basis of tennis. Lack of a solid project and few reasurces for its development.

5. Poor management of the brand “Tennis Spain” has prevented a correct and fruitful capitalization to ensure the development of the sport and success in the future.

6. Lack of harmony between the different groups that are part of Spanish tennis that has led to an alarming drop in the number of practitioners and licenses.

7. Chaotic and belligerent leadership from Mr. Escañuela that led to his suspention, putting personal interests above the sport and degrading the image of tennis with his performances.

Because of all these exposed items, we inform the competent authorities and territorial federations about our concern about the current situation of Spanish Tennis and ask for them to act with the appropriate authority and responsibility, as soon as possible..

Sincerely,

Signed by:
Carla Suarez Garbiñe Muguruza, Silvia Soler, Anabel Medina, Lourdes Dominguez, Maria Jose Martinez, Arantxa Parra, David Ferrer, Rafael Nadal, Feliciano Lopez, Tommy Robredo, Roberto Bautista, Guillermo Garcia, Pablo Andujar, Fernando Verdasco, Daniel Gimeno Traver, Albert Ramos, Pablo Carreño, Marcel Granollers, Nicolas Almagro, Marc Lopez, David Marrero, Toni Nadal, Pepo Clavet, Javier Duarte, Karim Perona, Albert Portas, Xavi Budó, Alejo Mancisidor, Gonzalo Lopez, Carlos Costa, Tomas Carbonell.

With the agreement of:
Manolo Santana, Sergi Bruguera, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Carlos Moyà, Alex Corretja, Alberto Berasategui, Jordi Arrese, Javier Sánchez-Vicario, Roberto Carretero, Francis Roig, Joan Balcells, Beto Martin, Juan Avendaño…

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Didn't they refuse to accept her resignation?
The Spanish Tennis Federation did, but the players are more than eager for her to resign.

·
Registered
993 Posts

I try to be understanding of people and their culture but this is sexism and disgusting. what do you expect though? this is the same country in which people throw bananas at soccer players like Dani Alves ... or make monkey chants against Eto'o. I am not saying everyone is racist or sexist, but I think the good guys need to step up and call out racists and sexists among them so this stops
Come on mate, an American saying that Spanish people are racist's is ridiculous, you need to look to your country before talking about others...

·
Premium Member
20,653 Posts

Is this pure sexism? I kind of doubt though, they must have a reason to not accept her that I/We don't know about. She really must be feeling like crap to be treated like this though
probably not "pure" -- they had other objections. But the way it was handled -- they way she was publicly treated/talked about by some... I don't think it would have gone the same way if it were a male who they objected to on similar grounds. I think more would have been done behind closed doors.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

she was a bizarre and awkward person to put in the position anyway

with the history of Spanish tennis there are a kajillion of people more active and qualified in mens tennis (other females included!) who would make more sense in the position

in the end country or Davis Cup tennis requires a coach who has some degree of connection or good relations with the players they're involved with. from my understanding (and this is coming from the bulk of male Spanish players, not just Nadal) Leon hardly kept in touch with any of them and they felt as if she was practically a stranger

don't care about her being removed and am not surprised

its sort of irrelevant anyway, it appears have so many years of fairly good Spanish Davis Cup most of the players don't really care anymore which isn't hard to understand as the 2000s they won so many

·
Registered
21,621 Posts

While I agree that the Spanish male players are undoubtedly sexist, and some of the comments made about her were a pretty outrageous reflection of that, it isn't obvious to me that sexism is the real problem here, just gives it a particular colour.

Worth noting that the meeting with players referred to, and manifesto they put out, included all of the top female/Fed Cup players as well:
The female players are clearly sexist towards women as well.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts