Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
I hope that he has a good grass season and doesn't lose confidence after that RG QF match. I was conflicted in that match as I support both of them. The first 2 sets he couldn't deal with the wind which is why I think he performed so badly, then after the wind went down in the 3rd and 4th sets he seemed to play much better... But the way Gael fell apart in the final set was out of this world, the only reason I can think of as to why he lost like that was because he wanted to rush and get the match done as quickly as possible... If he continued to play like how he did in the first game of the 5th set he would have have won I think.

Anyways, he needs to be more aggressive, some of the forehands he hit in that match were out of this world... If he could figure out a way to consistently do that he will get a Slam.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Tough draw. Becker - Nishikori - Haas - Federer.
I don't think it's too bad. He should beat Kei on grass and I'm not sure Haas is fully fit (shoulder).

Fingers crossed - Allez Gael!!! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
He shouldn't play in Bosch ! Doesn't make sense ... If he plays well In Halle there is no point to play a tournament a week before Wimbledon. He needs rest after a decent run at Roland Garros

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Gael d. Becker 6-1, 7-5, Halle R1. :)

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Gael talks about his match today... From Eurosport France - http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/atp-halle/2014/tennis-atp-halle-monfils-passe-gasquet-casse_sto4281565/story.shtml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Six days after his loss in the quarter finals at Roland Garros, during which time he said he had "done no sport", Monfils made a winning but cautious return. "I do not like grass. I'm always afraid of injuries. I already have pain in the knee. (right)" said the world number #20. "I'm trying to do simple things, to be solid , to mix it up and to enjoy myself."

He plays Kei tomorrow. Allez Gael!!! :)

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
It sounds like it's been hard for Gael since Roland Garros - hope he can play well today against Kei. :)

Monfils in l'Equipe after his win over Becker: I was so tired I didn't do a thing. No tennis, no sport. Nothing. You saw me look OK at Roland, but if you knew how many anti-inflammatories I'd taken ... They had to leave my body.

I'm trying to have fun on court to help me forget that I don't like the surface.

Source: @markalannixon's twitlonger translation from L'Equipe - http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s23dms

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Gael lost 1-6, 6-3, 3-6 :hug:

Up and down match, which actually became quite entertaining. Gael wasn't in it at all in the 1st set, Nishikori taking the ball early, returning great, hitting aggressively and rushing Gael into errors. Gael was much better in the 2nd. He started serving better, playing more aggressively, and Kei's level dropped, making some errors.

The third was a bit of a lottery - either could have won it, really. Gael had a BP on Kei's seve at 1-1, but was a bit passive in that game and Kei held. Then Gael played 2 poor drop shots at bad times at 3-2, on serve, and Kei played a great drop shot to break for 4-2. Then Kei had a loose game and Gael hit an amazing forehand winner to break back, 4-3. But Gael served 3 DF's in the next game and was broken again, 5-3. (He also hit an incredible 202kph 2nd serve on one point in that game!)

This time, Kei served it out for the match. Gael slipped on the 2nd last point though, landing awkwardly on his right knee/ right hip, and looked like it hurt him a little. Hopefully it won't cause him any new problems.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
I'm not feeling very optimistic about Gael playing Wimbledon...:sad:

L'Equipe says he now has a problem with his psoas muscle after that fall yesterday.

Gael also spoke more about grass... Thanks to @markalannixon for the translation... http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s23qre

Monfils in l'Equipe after his loss to Nishikori: Frankly, I don't like this surface at all. Why? I don't know ... I just don't like it. But I've talked about it with Guy Forget, who told me he didn't like it either when he was young. So I'm trusting him, maybe it will change.

I knew I wasn't going to be as good (on grass) since Roehampton in 2003. When you're big, you feel that serving well and hitting hard helps. Me, I have to be able to move. And here, I can't move well. I can't plant my feet. I run in jerks. There's no smoothness. I have to take it easy when I push off. It's frustrating because I'm very clear headed. I'm concentrating on my game and my movement. I know if I push off too hard, I can fall and hurt myself.

But it's not that I don't know I was the lesser player out there. I did everything I could against Nishikori. But it's not easy doing things that aren't natural for me. But I wasn't as good! OK!

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
What about Bosch now ???
You're right. I forgot he had that WC. I guess he will try to play if he can. It sounds like he really hates grass though.

:topic: By the way, I meant to say before... happy birthday! :aparty:

·
Registered
40 Posts
You're right. I forgot he had that WC. I guess he will try to play if he can. It sounds like he really hates grass though.

:topic: By the way, I meant to say before... happy birthday! :aparty:
Who's birthday ? He is not in the Bosch draw which means he has withdrawn. I hope it's not anything serious !

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Who's birthday ? He is not in the Bosch draw which means he has withdrawn. I hope it's not anything serious !
Oh sorry... I thought you went from 17 to 18 a little while ago. Maybe I read it wrong?

I've been away with work, does anyone know how Gael is doing?

·
Registered
40 Posts
No u were right ! I turned 18 a few months ago ! Thank you anyways. How old are you ? Apparently he is playing wimbledon and he will be seeded 14th :)

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[13] Richard Gasquet FRA v James Duckworth AUS
Nick Kyrgios AUS v Stephane Robert FRA
Jiry Vesely CZE v Victor Estrella Burgos DOM
Malek Jaziri TUN v [24] Gael Monfils FRA

[29]Ivo Karlovic CRO v Frank Dancevic
Dudi Sela ISR v Mikhail Kukushkin KAZ
Benoit Paire FRA v Lukas Rosol CZE
Martin Klizan SVK v [2] Rafael Nadal ESP