Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bring it Home
20,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched this guy a gazillion times and I really can't see how he has all the talent some people think he has.

Good serve, but not elite. And he's 6'4, so it's normal to have a good serve.

With such amazing range, he is just an average and sometimes even poor returner.

Forehand is very erratic and he usually can't apply much power from this wing, unless is those balls who fall high and slow for him to swing.

Backhand is a bit more stable, but it's nowhere near elite level too.

Hands and net play are awful. Very usually he tries a dropshot and the ball ends up too high or deep. Misses easy volleys too often.

Ok, huge speed and can retrieve basically everything, but this is no tennis talent. It's more related to being a good athlete.

For me he's just a great athlete, probably the biggest athlete ever in the sport, but not much tennis talented (relateds to strokes). And he even wastes his athleticism with a pathetic work ethic. :facepalm:

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
I watched this guy a gazillion times and I really can't see how he has all the talent some people think he has.

Good serve, but not elite. And he's 6'4, so it's normal to have a good serve.

With such amazing range, he is just an average and sometimes even poor returner.

Forehand is very erratic and he usually can't apply much power from this wing, unless is those balls who fall high and slow for him to swing.

Backhand is a bit more stable, but it's nowhere near elite level too.

Hands and net play are awful. Very usually he tries a dropshot and the ball ends up too high or deep. Misses easy volleys too often.

Ok, huge speed and can retrieve basically everything, but this is no tennis talent. It's more related to being a good athlete.

For me he's just a great athlete, probably the biggest athlete ever in the sport, but not much tennis talented (relateds to strokes). And he even wastes his athleticism with a pathetic work ethic. :facepalm:
He barely misses volleys and it's easily his best shot in 2015 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
Pretty sure no one rates his game highly on a mechanical level anyway.

·
G!G!L!
724 Posts
His biggest problem to me has always been his tendency to try to go for low-percentage/crowd-pleasing spectacular shots which don't pay off the vast majority of the time. It often puts him at a disadvantage when solid play would have been enough to win the point.

I wouldn't call him over-rated though as I think most people now expect him to be what he is: a 10-20 level player capable of the odd big run/upset.

A decade ago, when he was emerging on to the tour alongside Murray/Djokovic etc & spoken of as a future slam champ, then I would say he was over-rated.

I wasn't convinced at the time & the years since have proven me correct.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If he wasn't so injury prone, the talk about the big 4 would include him.

It would also help if he had a brain to speak of.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Well, he was top 10 player. Regardless of what anybody say, you cant get there if you are not talented.Also, he beat every member of big 3(4) at least once, not many players did that.
OTOH, he is not (or was not, pick yourself) enough talented to be multislam winner, thats for sure.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
His athleticism was admirable, yet his mechanics, choice of shot selection, and injury history are what inevitably leads him to where he is today. Still found it remarkable that he won 3 junior slams in a row. This goes to show that in tennis, junior level success does not necessarily translate well in the senior matches.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Fans seem to underrate how unlikely it is a player above the age of, say, 22/23 changing their basic approach to the game or mentality really is. Not just with Monfils but any number of the 'on his day, he can beat anyone' kinda guys.

·
Registered
56 Posts
His forehand is terrible, absolutely terrible shot technique-wise. It's either mega ballbashing shot or erranisque puffball.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
He barely misses volleys and it's easily his best shot in 2015 :rolleyes:
I watch most of Monfils' matches and I can say his best shot is by far his serve. His net play has improved a bit, but it's still an obvious weakness by the way. His 'deep' volleys are usually terrible.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
His biggest problem to me has always been his tendency to try to go for low-percentage/crowd-pleasing spectacular shots which don't pay off the vast majority of the time. It often puts him at a disadvantage when solid play would have been enough to win the point.

I wouldn't call him over-rated though as I think most people now expect him to be what he is: a 10-20 level player capable of the odd big run/upset.

A decade ago, when he was emerging on to the tour alongside Murray/Djokovic etc & spoken of as a future slam champ, then I would say he was over-rated.

I wasn't convinced at the time & the years since have proven me correct.
I've watched Monfils throughout his career and the vast majority of the time he's pushing the ball. Rarely have I seen someone push as much as he did vs. Safin in those two Masters Series matches and jump around like a lunatic on unforced errors :lol:

The match against Simon was a funny one, just because his fake showmanship disappeared when he realised that he wasn't far from the loss.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
If you mean 'overrated' as a potential slam winner, I would agree.
But if you mean his current position, I think he is on the right place. Not overrated, not underrated.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
GP: he's vastly overrated

Here: he's vastly underrated

So, I think it balances out...:wavey:

Reactions: Castafiore

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
GP: he's vastly overrated

Here: he's vastly underrated

So, I think it balances out...:wavey:
Pretty much this - he's rated by very few on MTF, and those who do support him are usually willing to accept he's a clown on court for the most part.

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts

Davis Cupflis?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts