Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
G. Ivanisevic: "If I’d had to pick a female coach, I'd have gone for Steffi Graf"

"Andy Murray had a confident start to the defence of his Wimbledon title with a straight-sets win over David Goffin on Centre Court after receiving a wonderful reception from the fans on his return as the champion.

It was the first match with Amelie Mauresmo, his new coach, at the Championships. If I’d had to pick a female coach during my playing career, then it would have been Steffi Graf. She is amazing, one of the best of all time, and a great worker on the practice court. I have seen her hitting with Andre Agassi, her husband, and that wonderful forehand is still a special shot. Maybe it would have made a difference to my tennis to have her as my coach but it’s too late now to find out.

When I was playing, I didn’t take too much notice of what was happening in the women’s part of the tournament but maybe that will change for me now that I am here as a coach.

The only time I really looked at a women’s match score was when I was next on court and needed to work out how much longer they were likely to be playing!

That might sound strange but with so many things to concentrate on during a tournament, it is a normal attitude to focus on your own match and opponent. You cannot afford to be distracted by anything during a Slam and that is something I talk about with Marin Cilic.

Serena Williams, however, is one player you always watch because she is one of the greatest-ever players. It is fun to follow her matches and I would buy a ticket to one of her games. Serena hits the ball harder than some male players, her serve is over 120mph."

Speaking about Wimbledon 2014 favourites:

“Grass suits his [Djokovic’s] game well,” said Ivanisevic. “He moves well, he slides like he does on clay. He does everything perfect on grass.”

Last year’s final was played inside a fervent and partisan Centre Court as Murray ended a 77-year wait for a British men’s winner at Wimbledon, but Ivanisevic – who eliminated home hopeful Tim Henman en route to winning the tournament – insisted there was only so much part a crowd could play.

“The crowd can lift you a little bit but not too much,” he said. “It cannot help you if you play badly.

“Crowd or no crowd, Andy [Murray] deserved it last year. He played really well. But I don’t think Djokovic played a good final.”

“I don’t think there will be too many shocking results,” said Ivanisevic. “It can’t happen two years in a row.

“Nadal will adapt easily. He’s confident, he’s playing well. I don’t think he’s going to win, but he’s going to do well. I don’t think what happened last year [his shock defeat to Belgium’s Steve Darcis] will happen again.

“As to Roger, you never underestimate him. He is playing well and can beat anybody. I would take Federer very seriously.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/goran-ivanisevic-if-id-been-andy-murray-id-have-gone-for-steffi-graf-as-my-coach-9559127.html

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/tramlines/exclusive-ivanisevic-backs-djokovic-wrestle-wimbledon-title-murray-004152698.html

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Re: G. Ivanisevic: "If I'd been Andy Murray, I'd have gone for Steffi Graf as my coac

well jeez I think anyone would love to have Steffi Graf as a coach but dreams don't always come true

that's like saying it would be nice or preferable to have Sampras as a coach- neither Sampras or Graf coach anyway, but even if they did you'd have to be a pretty special case I imagine

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Re: G. Ivanisevic: "If I'd been Andy Murray, I'd have gone for Steffi Graf as my coac

"Andy Murray had a confident start to the defence of his Wimbledon title with a straight-sets win over David Goffin on Centre Court after receiving a wonderful reception from the fans on his return as the champion.

It was the first match with Amelie Mauresmo, his new coach, at the Championships. If I’d had to pick a female coach during my playing career, then it would have been Steffi Graf. She is amazing, one of the best of all time, and a great worker on the practice court. I have seen her hitting with Andre Agassi, her husband, and that wonderful forehand is still a special shot. Maybe it would have made a difference to my tennis to have her as my coach but it’s too late now to find out.

When I was playing, I didn’t take too much notice of what was happening in the women’s part of the tournament but maybe that will change for me now that I am here as a coach.

The only time I really looked at a women’s match score was when I was next on court and needed to work out how much longer they were likely to be playing!

That might sound strange but with so many things to concentrate on during a tournament, it is a normal attitude to focus on your own match and opponent. You cannot afford to be distracted by anything during a Slam and that is something I talk about with Marin Cilic.

Serena Williams, however, is one player you always watch because she is one of the greatest-ever players. It is fun to follow her matches and I would buy a ticket to one of her games. Serena hits the ball harder than some male players, her serve is over 120mph."

Speaking about Wimbledon 2014 favourites:

“Grass suits his [Djokovic’s] game well,” said Ivanisevic. “He moves well, he slides like he does on clay. He does everything perfect on grass.”

Last year’s final was played inside a fervent and partisan Centre Court as Murray ended a 77-year wait for a British men’s winner at Wimbledon, but Ivanisevic – who eliminated home hopeful Tim Henman en route to winning the tournament – insisted there was only so much part a crowd could play.

“The crowd can lift you a little bit but not too much,” he said. “It cannot help you if you play badly.

“Crowd or no crowd, Andy [Murray] deserved it last year. He played really well. But I don’t think Djokovic played a good final.”

“I don’t think there will be too many shocking results,” said Ivanisevic. “It can’t happen two years in a row.

“Nadal will adapt easily. He’s confident, he’s playing well. I don’t think he’s going to win, but he’s going to do well. I don’t think what happened last year [his shock defeat to Belgium’s Steve Darcis] will happen again.

“As to Roger, you never underestimate him. He is playing well and can beat anybody. I would take Federer very seriously.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/goran-ivanisevic-if-id-been-andy-murray-id-have-gone-for-steffi-graf-as-my-coach-9559127.html

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/tramlines/exclusive-ivanisevic-backs-djokovic-wrestle-wimbledon-title-murray-004152698.html
The quote in your thread title is wrong and misleading. What he actually said was, "If I’d had to pick a female coach during my playing career, then it would have been Steffi Graf". He's saying, if he could have had any female player as his coach, he would have wanted Graf. Your title implies something quite different. Graf may have been Ivanisevic's "dream pick" but she was never going to do be interested in real life.

Why is it so hard for you trash like the Evening Standard to just quote what the person said in their headlines?

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Re: G. Ivanisevic: "If I’d had to pick a female coach, I'd have gone for Steffi Graf"

A great player doesn't always make a great coach. ;)

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Re: G. Ivanisevic: "If I’d had to pick a female coach, I'd have gone for Steffi Graf"

Steffi won't just like Agassi won't. They have a family

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

Graf is known for being very quiet and reserved so that not a good idea. Picking the most accomplished out of a bunch doesn't necessarily mean they're the best coach.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts

Rosol--->Darcis :confused:

·
Registered
4,632 Posts

I think that Steffi is very quiet and I don't think she is good at explaining her tactics. I think someone like Chanda Rubin or Zina Garrison, people who, although not as accomplished as Steffi, are much better explaining tactics and technical glitches in people's games. I would rather have a not-as-accomplished player who has proven themselves as a good coach, than a great player who isn't a proven coach.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts

didn't Graf 'mentor' Julia Abe and Mia Buric and those two never amount too anything?

·
Registered
905 Posts

Navratilova would no doubt make a great coach. She might even be interested.

·
Registered
17,365 Posts

Those who can't, teach.

Steffi definitely can :cool:

(I hope no one looks into this post more than is necessary :lol:)

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

Those who can't, teach.

Steffi definitely can :cool:

(I hope no one looks into this post more than is necessary :lol:)
You mean on the court or to Agassi? Because my sources are telling me Agassi couldn't tell his right nostril from his butt opening before he met Graf :D

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

I think Martina Hingis would make a great coach too.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

I think Martina Hingis would make a great coach too.
She had her chance with Lisicki and Pavly on WTA. She does not. I am not sure she is also an honest person. Her husband's revelations about her behavior, cheating, and other things left a whole lot to be desired about her character.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Graf was a great player, but I'm not sure she'd be a great coach.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts