Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(not sure if this video has already been shared)

The 14-year old Auger Aliassime winning a 43-point rally in a Challenger Quarterfinal against #205 Darian King, on a break point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVKCwq_YSk

Future GOAT material right here!

Never seen a 14-year old hit with so much consistency, depth, power, etc etc etc off both the wings. Several of his shots during this rally reminded me of .... nobody other than Federer ("inside-in" forehand, aggressive baseline play, etc) and Djokovic (backhand cross court, depth, aggressive baseline play, angles on both sides, etc). He is a a Fed-Djoko combo (not seen how he serves).

My *conservative* predictions:

Top 150 a the age of 16.
Top 50 at the age of 17.
Top 20 at the age of 18.
Top 10 by the age of 19.
Top 5 at the age of 20.
#1 at the age of 21 or 22.
GOAT by the end of his career.
20 slams.
1 calendar year grand slam.

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
Tennis just looks more and more boring. No volleys or flat shots until that BH near the end? Disgusting.

Baseline tedium.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Damn that's some good footwork and positioning. And yea, I can definitely see some Djoko BH and Fed FH there. The kid sure has a bucketload of talent. Problem is, anything can happen from 14-18, but surely a name to keep an eye to.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Tennis just looks more and more boring. No volleys or flat shots until that BH near the end? Disgusting.

Baseline tedium.

He's 14 years old...:cuckoo:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
He certainly not looks like 14 yo. Physically developed enough to compete players 3-4 years older than him. His backhand is like Djokovic's or more like Coric's but foundation of shot is sound. His offensive footwork is already world class and that's why his game flows all over the court like Federer. Exciting playing style, already have better offensive tools than 22-23 yo Murray.

Reactions: grkhetan

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The scary thing is how his whole game already look like at 14. Hopefully he will improve later.
Exactly. He already looks to me like a top 100 player -- atleast on this point. Even a top 50 player. Not sure whether he is able to maintain this level throughout a match, throughout a tournament though. And dont know how he serves, which is key.

Look at his return. Look at the drop shot. Look at how he maintains energy throughout the 43 shot rally without getting tired!

If he maintains health, and keeps improving, there's no doubt he can reach GOAT territory.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn that's some good footwork and positioning. And yea, I can definitely see some Djoko BH and Fed FH there. The kid sure has a bucketload of talent. Problem is, anything can happen from 14-18, but surely a name to keep an eye to.
Yes, tennis is littered with promising young guns at the age of 16-19, but who never developed into top players when they had to compete with the best professional players.

But this guys seems capable somehow to me, capable of getting to the top. His rally construction seems smart, he looks mentally and physically like a 18 year old already. He seems willing and ready to play like a top player.

I think he will get there. Being injury-free will be important though. Look at Christian Harrison (who was never close to Auger's level, but was promising).

·
Registered
3,084 Posts

The 14-year old Auger Aliassime winning a 43-point rally in a Challenger Quarterfinal against #205 Darian King, on a break point:

Never seen a 14-year old hit with so much consistency, depth, power, etc etc etc off both the wings. Several of his shots during this rally reminded me of .... nobody other than Federer ("inside-in" forehand, aggressive baseline play, etc) and Djokovic (backhand cross court, depth, aggressive baseline play, angles on both sides, etc). He is a a Fed-Djoko combo (not seen how he serves).

Top 150 a the age of 16.
Top 50 at the age of 17.
Top 20 at the age of 18.
Top 10 by the age of 19.
Top 5 at the age of 20.
20 slams.
Time will tell, so much can happen in the next 7 years like INJURY. Or lack of mental strength. It's very, very hard to tell where the next phenom is coming from. For example even Federer, although he impressed the world by beating Sampras in 2001 at Wimbledon. He didn't start to really dominate until three years later. The same with Sampras himself. He was the youngest USO WINNER OF ALLTIME in 1990. But did not start to dominate world tennis until 1993.

So we won't really be able to say this one is a threat to the top guys in history UNTIL that said person is actually MAKING HISTORY THEMSELVES.

The player I love the most to emphasise this is the current world number one DJOKOVIC. AGAIN THE PATTERN he wins the AO at age 20. Then doesn't really make his mark until THREE YEARS LATER IN 2011. And now he is really looking like the history man for the next three years. The record books are at his mercy.

So I would personally refrain from building up young prodigy players. Until they really start making their mark in the professional game. Otherwise we get another load of overhyped underachievers like DIMITROV, RAONIC AND NISHIKORI.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

Top 150 a the age of 16.
Top 50 at the age of 17.
Top 20 at the age of 18.
Top 10 by the age of 19.
Top 5 at the age of 20.
20 slams.
LOL

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I watched his QF. He's very impressive, indeed. But I don't like his serve and forehand :)cuckoo: @ Federer's comparison) and he can do nothing when put on the defensive—like your typical junior he would just moonball back.
Nevertheless, he's only 14 so my rant is pre-mature. It will be intersting to follow his development.

The only worrying thing to me was MTO. A 14 years old attended by physio is not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Top 150 a the age of 16.
Top 50 at the age of 17.
Top 20 at the age of 18.
Top 10 by the age of 19.

Top 5 at the age of 20.
20 slams.
Nadal was #4 at age 18 and #2 at age 19 :wavey:

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
kiddo better play some junior events in next 2 years...this is not gonna end well if he starts losing regulary w/ WC's
He has been playing junior this year and doing well. He's ranked #69 now at 14. He's had two WC in Challenger Qualifying draws to events that are close to his hometown, and he qualified for both, the first one he had to pull out before playing his first MD match due to abdominal issues, here he made it to the QFs.

I don't believe there are plans for him to be leaving the junior circuit.

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/player/profile.aspx?PlayerID=100202212

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

me too
rather bizarre

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
You're just mad because Felix is much more talented than your boy.
Mad? I just LOL at the fact someone is talking about GOAT prospective for a 14y old. Nothing against Auger of course, but let the boy grow up first, there's time for GOAT talks. ;)

By your logic, you would also had a reason to be mad. If Auger is more talented then Borna, then is also more talented then Thanasi. :)

·
Registered
4,632 Posts

Baseline tedium.
I see you commented on that video...:spit:

What does Nadal have anything to do with Felix or Darian King? Calm down...:haha:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts