Mens Tennis Forums banner

1941 - 1960 of 1963 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
From the NY Times (Aug 28 1997):

"The fifth-seeded Muster failed to intimidate Britain's great hope, Tim Henman, with his heavy artillery and took on a hangdog look as he found his own composure under fire and lost, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 6-4.

''It's disappointing, but it's no shame to lose to someone like Tim Henman,'' said Muster, who had not played him before. ''He has a very stylish game, he has great potential, he's a good spirit and he's good for the game. He felt he could come in and put me under pressure, and that's what he did.''

[...]

"Six games into the third set, tricked and tripped up by another fluttering volley from Henman, Muster decided to stop chasing the ball and turned his attention to the source of the shots that were stymieing him. Brandishing his racquet, he ran past the net and into Henman's territory and actually chased the Englishman right off the court and into a corner passageway. Henman, who had not thought twice about playing along with the charade, cowered there until he was sure Muster had returned to his own domain.

Though Muster's game didn't scare Henman, who possesses the physical menace of a gazelle, the sight of the fittest, meanest competitor on the circuit headed straight at him did inspire Henman to take flight, and Henman acknowledged as much to Muster later.

''I said in the locker room I wasn't scared to admit that I was frightened, so I thought the best thing to do was keep running,'' said the 22-year-old Henman, a 1996 and '97 quarterfinalist at Wimbledon. ''I've practiced with him a lot, and yeah, he's a good guy, but at the end of the day when you get on the court, you're out there to win the match, nothing else.''

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
See you can still beat Federer

·
Registered
6,489 Posts

·
Registered
6,489 Posts

·
Registered