Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here the translation from a recent Hungarian internet news portal (sport section, Qs bolded):

You ranked 70th in the world rankings earlier this year and currently rank 55th. Are you satisfied with your performance and results?

It was a strange season. If I just focus on tennis, I can even say that it was a success for me, however, if I look at how successful it could have been if Covid hadn’t come, I still have a lot of missing feel.

You started the year well, with the Australian Open Roger Federer being the final stage in the eighth final, defeating the Belgians in the March Davis Cup qualifiers, but the Madrid final scheduled for November has already been missed due to the coronavirus epidemic. How did you survive the several months of downtime?

Initially, I enjoyed the quiet days. I tried to keep my tennis and stamina level, but after a while I missed some serious work and competing. It’s hard to train and be motivated without knowing when to get on the field. It was an unusual feeling because since I was a child, I always knew weeks and months in advance what my tasks would be.

Did the empty stands mean relief or rather difficulty?

I don’t even want to go into such a comparison. It’s even better to play in front of spectators if, for example, I play in France against a French player. I think spectators are part of the game, the matches. They give meaning to the fight.

By the way, which tourney missed you the most?

I can easily answer this question. All competitions were missing that were not held. Some of them because I couldn’t play in these, some of them because my friends, my teammates couldn’t play in those.

After relaunching the Tour in August, you reached the eighth final at the ATP 1000 in Cincinnati, playing three matches at the US Open, and dropped out of the top 16 at Roland Garros. Meanwhile, you defeated Grigor Dimitrov twice and also won against Daniil Medvedev, 5th in the world rankings. What is the secret to success?

We did a very good job with my coaches. We soon found a common voice and I was able to get on the track with the right motivation.
I managed to add new items to my game. I’ve become more unpredictable, and it looks like these changes weren't liked by my opponents.
We are trying to follow this path. But to answer briefly, what is the real secret to success? Maybe all of them. However, sometimes I also look for what the secret is. If I knew the exact answer, I would be the world number one.

Mats Wilander said a year ago that if there wasn't serve in tennis, you would be a top five, top six player. Do you agree with that?

I have to say Wilander is wrong. If there wasn't serve, I'd be about the third place. But seriously, my serve really gets a lot of criticism. As strange as it sounds, I’m glad there are elements of the game in which I can still develop a lot. The serve is like that. I'm not panicking about it. It is evolving! It's better year after year. Today, it is easy to check this in statistics.

Rafael Nadal caught up with Roger Federer in terms of Grand Slam trophies. What do you think decides who is the best of all time? Who do you think is the best?

I’ve always favored Federer, but I don’t believe in being “the best”. In my opinion, Federer represents the style traits that I identify with tennis: elegance, harmony of movement. But we can't go without saying Nadal's work ethic or mentality. He's the best at those.

You have played with Federer and Djokovic several times, though not once with Nadal. If you met the Spaniard in 2021, how do you see what you would fair against him?

I already wanted to play against Nadal. I used to remember how weird it was that we hadn’t played against each other yet. If we get together in 2021, I’m going to beat him. Or not ... But to put myself there to do my best, that's for sure!

How consciously can you plan for next year’s calendar? Looks like the Australian Open starts a month later and you have to quarantine two weeks before the tournament.

Conscious planning. This phrase is currently deleted from my dictionary. We try to follow, analyze what happens, and most importantly, try to respond best to it so that I can start the season in the right shape. Quarantine isn’t frustrating because we’ve always been playing “bubbles” in recent months, I can say: I’m used to it.

Would you rather let yourself go now during the holidays? Can more rollcake slide down into your belly?

I’m have a lucky nature so I don’t have to restrain myself during the holidays. Anyway, I work so hard that it’s a miracle to pick up 20 decagrams. I was already looking forward to the holidays because of rollcake and Grandma's pancakes.

Where did you spend Christmas?

I am at home during the holidays with a small family circle.

If you had to set a single goal for next year, what would it be?

I wish I could move up the world rankings again by about as many places as this year. This is a realistic expectation of myself. If I were to close the year around 30th place, I would be happy. It would also be nice to have a feat in one of the big tournaments. I'll be very sure to make it happen. Most importantly, however, is to get life back to normal.

Fucsovics Márton: a kiszámíthatatlanság nem finom

He is as stoic as ever, he is realistic.
(Someone claimed that I don't care for Fucsovics, here is some counter-argument.)

Reactions: paca and Kowchi

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
Here the translation from a recent Hungarian internet news portal (sport section, Qs bolded):

You ranked 70th in the world rankings earlier this year and currently rank 55th. Are you satisfied with your performance and results?

It was a strange season. If I just focus on tennis, I can even say that it was a success for me, however, if I look at how successful it could have been if Covid hadn’t come, I still have a lot of missing feel.

You started the year well, with the Australian Open Roger Federer being the final stage in the eighth final, defeating the Belgians in the March Davis Cup qualifiers, but the Madrid final scheduled for November has already been missed due to the coronavirus epidemic. How did you survive the several months of downtime?

Initially, I enjoyed the quiet days. I tried to keep my tennis and stamina level, but after a while I missed some serious work and racing. It’s hard to train and be motivated without knowing when to get on the field. It was an unusual feeling because since I was a child, I always knew weeks and months in advance what my tasks would be.

Did the empty stands mean relief or rather difficulty?

I don’t even want to go into such a comparison. It’s even better to play in front of spectators if, for example, I play in France against a French player. I think spectators are part of the game, the matches. They give meaning to the fight.

By the way, which tourney missed you the most?

I can easily answer this question. All competitions were missing that were not held. Some of them because I couldn’t play in these, some of them because my friends, my teammates couldn’t play in those.

After relaunching the Tour in August, you reached the eighth final at the ATP 1000 in Cincinnati, playing three matches at the US Open, and dropped out of the top 16 at Roland Garros. Meanwhile, you defeated Grigor Dimitrov twice and also won against Daniil Medvedev, 5th in the world rankings. What is the secret to success?

We did a very good job with my coaches. We soon found a common voice and I was able to get on the track with the right motivation.
I managed to add new items to my game. I’ve become more unpredictable, and it looks like these changes weren't liked by my opponents.
We are trying to follow this path. But to answer briefly, what is the real secret to success? Maybe all of them. However, sometimes I also look for what the secret is. If I knew the exact answer, I would be the world number one.

Mats Wilander said a year ago that if there wasn't serve in tennis, you would be a top five, top six player. Do you agree with that?

I have to say Wilander is wrong. If there wasn't serve, I'd be about the third place. But seriously, my serve really gets a lot of criticism. As strange as it sounds, I’m glad there are elements of the game in which I can still develop a lot. The serve is like that. I'm not panicking about it. It is evolving! It's better year after year. Today, it is easy to check this in statistics.

Rafael Nadal caught up with Roger Federer in terms of Grand Slam trophies. What do you think decides who is the best of all time? Who do you think is the best?

I’ve always favored Federer, but I don’t believe in being “the best”. In my opinion, Federer represents the style traits that I identify with tennis: elegance, harmony of movement. But we can't go without saying Nadal's work ethic or mentality. He's the best at those.

You have played with Federer and Djokovic several times, though not once with Nadal. If you met the Spaniard in 2021, how do you see what you would fair against him?

I already wanted to play against Nadal. I used to remember how weird it was that we hadn’t played against each other yet. If we get together in 2021, I’m going to beat him. Or not ... But to put myself there to do my best, that's for sure!

How consciously can you plan for next year’s calendar? Looks like the Australian Open starts a month later and you have to quarantine two weeks before the tournament.

Conscious planning. This phrase is currently deleted from my dictionary. We try to follow, analyze what happens, and most importantly, try to respond best to it so that I can start the season in the right shape. Quarantine isn’t frustrating because we’ve always been playing “bubbles” in recent months, I can say: I’m used to it.

Would you rather let yourself go now during the holidays? Can more rollcake slide down into your belly?

I’m have a lucky nature so I don’t have to restrain myself during the holidays. Anyway, I work so hard that it’s a miracle to pick up 20 decagrams. I was already looking forward to the holidays because of rollcake and Grandma's pancakes.

Where did you spend Christmas?

I am at home during the holidays with a small family circle.

If you had to set a single goal for next year, what would it be?

I wish I could move up the world rankings again by about as many places as this year. This is a realistic expectation of myself. If I were to close the year around 30th place, I would be happy. It would also be nice to have a feat in one of the big tournaments. I'll be very sure to make it happen. Most importantly, however, is to get life back to normal.

Fucsovics Márton: a kiszámíthatatlanság nem finom

He is as stoic as ever, he is realistic.
(Someone claimed that I don't care for Fucsovics, here is some counter-argument.)
Fucsovic is such a top class player. I will never forget seeing him give the best live tennis match at Indian Wells vs. Wawrinka.

Reactions: eljefe

·
Registered
17,774 Posts
Very nice Interview

Did you translate all that?

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice Interview

Did you translate all that?
I did a quick Google translate since I didn't have time now to do it all myself, then corrected the grave errors which came up by the automatic rendering. Hope this is understandable, if not I can explain some sentences further
(was a translator for a while btw)

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
I did a quick Google translate since I didn't have time now to do it all myself, then corrected the grave errors which came up by the automatic rendering. Hope this is understandable, if not I can explain some sentences further
(was a translator for a while btw)
I laughed at Rollcake sliding down stomach.

But well done. Its a shame Fucsovic doesn't have a Djokovic like mentality, he could easily be in Top 10 and vying for titles.

But he generally finds a way to lose matches, without having much a glaring weakness. His serve isn't even that bad.

Reactions: Djoker

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
Amazing display.
Did you watch? I was there for 80% of match and then went to watch Djokovic and Fognini play doubles... big mistake.

Literally unforgettable match. I was the loudest person in the crowd for Wawrinka and he no joke gave the me finger to the head and yelled "CMON" right in my direction. Norman was crowdside.

Fucsovic also displayed all the tricks in the book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts