1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd skip it. The AO has always been a pain in the ass because it's in BFI. But, with C-19 and how skiddish the Aussies are, it's a no-brainer to stay home. IMHO. The American Double in the Bubble seemed a lot more straight forward, and less complicated. They're trying to do to much.

·
|
15,325 Posts
The Australian Open is Federer's most consistent slam, so he's always got a shot at winning, he always goes deep.
Should play it, all it takes is one upset and he probably wins it.

·
justice for all
16,221 Posts
Tough decision again ahead of Roger.

But, you know, time is running out for the Swiss Maestro. 2021 may probably be his last chance for a slam. So, if healthy, I'd give it a go. The level of other top players will be unknown with another delay of season's start and the obligatory unusual quarantine. And Roger was always good at playing close to his best after a longer break.

So, I'd give it a shot, then skip clay including RG and go all in into trying to win Wimbledon one last time.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
He should play it. He says it's not really about winning now it's more for the love of the game, at least he says that, just play it and try his best. All fans can ask.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Federer has no chance for any more slams unless it's rigged. He just can't win seven matches in two weeks anymore. The players are too good too strong too tough. He's just an illusion at this point, but a very valuable ghost of a great great champion who can still generate huge revenues.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Federer is in no condition to compete right now, so he should skip the event to try to get his fitness up to an acceptable level again.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Federer: I'm gonna wait and see what's going on
It sure makes sense to wait and see!

Last few days in Sydney there have been almost 20 new cases a day! If this spreads to Melbourne, then the whole event would be at risk

So many players travel all the way to Australia, go through quarantine to eventually be free to play tennis in a country that is basically free of Covid-19 (apart from the odd failure of quarantine).

Then play 2 tournaments or something and leave?
If people do bother to come, why not have more tournaments instead of the tour moving to ...where France? Is that going to happen? Qatar and Dubai will happen, but is Miami in March realistic?

Why not some more tournaments in Australia if people do travel all that way and quarantine?

Delay some other tournaments elsewhere until vaccines can have an impact.

·
Your visions will happen
49,177 Posts
It sure makes sense to wait and see!

Last few days in Sydney there have been almost 20 new cases a day! If this spreads to Melbourne, then the whole event would be at risk

So many players travel all the way to Australia, go through quarantine to eventually be free to play tennis in a country that is basically free of Covid-19 (apart from the odd failure of quarantine).

Then play 2 tournaments or something and leave?
If people do bother to come, why not have more tournaments instead of the tour moving to ...where France? Is that going to happen? Qatar and Dubai will happen, but is Miami in March realistic?

Why not some more tournaments in Australia if people do travel all that way and quarantine?

Delay some other tournaments elsewhere until vaccines can have an impact.
Well I have long since advocated for a post-AO Aussie swing, they used to have that back in the day. ATP has released only until AO, though rumors say that IW is cancelled, SA clay and Euro indoor still on, Miami is a maybe, and then the clay season is on as normal

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well I have long since advocated for a post-AO Aussie swing, they used to have that back in the day. ATP has released only until AO, though rumors say that IW is cancelled, SA clay and Euro indoor still on, Miami is a maybe, and then the clay season is on as normal
Is that one of those 'new normal' things? :)

You having 'long since advocated for a post-AO Aussie swing' only shows I should read your posts more

·
Registered
44 Posts
Obviously I would be a fool to write Federer off. but I do think that he will want to play all the big tournaments he can this year. You know, just in case it's the last time...

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I read in the news that Wimbledon'21 will be his last slam or 2021 will his last year on the ATP tour.

Btw, he is already in Dubai for his training. If his training ahead of Australian Open does not go well, he will skip it. Then the final hurrah at Wimbledon.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts