Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jesse Huta Galung and Stephane Robert stunned hot favorites Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor to claim their maiden ATP title at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell. The Dutch/French duo beat the Serbian/French duo 6-3 and 6-3 on the Pista Central.

Huta Galung and Robert entered the main draw as lucky losers, replacing top seeded pair Bob and Mike Bryan.

Zimonjic and Nestor aimed to lift their third trophy together in Barcelona after lifting the trophy in 2009 and 2010.

R1: Huta-Galung/Robert def. Marrero/Verdasco 6-1 6-4
QF: Huta-Galung/Robert def. Devvarman/A. Pavic 4-6 6-3 10-5
SF: Huta-Galung/Robert def. Fognini/Melzer 6-2 6-0
F: Huta-Galung/Robert def. Nestor/Zimonjic 6-3 6-3

The Dutch-French team became just the third duo to win a tour-level title as lucky losers.
ATP Barcelona prize money (per team):
Winner - 131.700€ (500 points)
Finalist - 59,430€ (300 points)

“It’s a funny story, because on Friday I asked him to play doubles but we weren’t sure if we would be playing,” Huta Galung told ATPWorldTour.com. “We got in as lucky losers and we won the tournament. It is an amazing tournament. I am happy to have played with Stephane. He played well all week.

When asked if this would be the start of a long-term partnership, Robert told ATPWorldTour.com, “We don’t know! Next week I will be at my highest ranking and Jesse will be around No. 70. So it is still not possible to play regularly on the ATP World Tour, so we might need to play with other players to earn more points before teaming up again.”

Huta Galung had previously finished runner-up in two ATP World Tour doubles finals at 2008 Amersfoort (w/Sijsling) and last year’s ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam (w/de Bakker). Robert was contesting his first title match.

“We played our own games all week,” said Huta Galung. “Maybe the other teams don’t know us as well, so we didn’t have anything to lose. Maybe the pressure was on them.”

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Not only they won but all their wins were easy 2 sets except the one match against another supposedly weak team :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts