Mens Tennis Forums banner

301 - 320 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
bavaria100 said:
Roger´s gonna win the title. Andy is playing worse than last year. I don´t know how he wants to beat Roger.
Even if Roger would not exisit on this planet Roddick will not win a Grand Slam title coz he will lose to Lleyton, Nadal or Safin. He's all about serve.

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
tangerine_dream said:
Roddick has nothing to do with Hewitt always getting clobbered by Roger.
Ah yes, so Roddick would beat Lleyton if they have played the Semifinal? If Wimbledon would stick with the entry system we would see a Federer-Hewitt final.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Even if Roger would not exisit on this planet Roddick will not win a Grand Slam title coz he will lose to Lleyton, Nadal or Safin. He's all about serve.
Er....Roddick has won a Grand Slam title though....

When was the last time Hewitt won a Grand Slam again?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Bilbo said:
Ah yes, so Roddick would beat Lleyton if they have played the Semifinal? If Wimbledon would stick with the entry system we would see a Federer-Hewitt final.
Completely agree. Roddick can beat every other opponent but when he comes up with a quality returner like Federer, Agassi or Hewitt, he has no chance. Thats why he is owned by Federer and Hewitt. Come the final, it will be a borefest too because Federer is going to own him. If Roddick doesn't serve well on Sunday (assuming he makes it), it will get nasty. As Bilbo says, he's all about serve, and all his other aspects, in particular volleys are mediocre.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
activist_99 said:

When was the last time Roddick won a grandslam?. At least Hewitt made it to the final of the US Open last year.

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
activist_99 said:

I'm talking about the present not the past. Many people still think Roddick is at his best but that's not true. He's barely a top5 player this year. Whether you accept this or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
PingPong,

I agree with you that Roddick has not won a Slam since his US Open victory in 2003 (though he came close last year at Wimbly) but my contention was not so much who the better player is - that is debatable - but more with Bilbo's mistaken contention that "Even if Roger would not exisit on this planet Roddick will not win a Grand Slam title coz he will lose to Lleyton, Nadal or Safin."

Surely if one is going to diss a player so very assertively it would be wise to get one's facts right you must agree.

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
activist_99 said:

Hewitt:

3 Grand Slam Titles
2 Masters Cup Titles
Davis Cup Champion

Roddick:

1 Grand Slam Title (where he got lucky saving 1 mp against Nalby)

Head-to-Head: 6-1 Hewitt

Questions?

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
tangerine_dream said:
you won't be seeing Roddick eating double bagels in the finals of majors. Or anywhere else for that matter.
Coz he's all about serve :eek:

I remember when Hewitt won 21 consecutive points against Roddick at the Masters Cup. This worse than a bagel.

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
tangerine_dream said:
Bilbo's not big on facts. He lives gravy, though. :)

btw, Gravyman, Roddick has beaten Safin in their last three meetings and Nadal ate a bagel at last year's USO courtesy of the one-dimensional Roddick. :hatoff:

Questions?
Yes, I've a Question. What has Safin and Nadal to do with Hewitt? Safin is a headcase and Nadal in 2004 wasn't nearly as good as he's today. Besides that we all know Roddick is only good on american soil coz of his pathetic patriotism.

What idiotic facts. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
activist_99 said:
PingPong,

I agree with you that Roddick has not won a Slam since his US Open victory in 2003 (though he came close last year at Wimbly) but my contention was not so much who the better player is - that is debatable - but more with Bilbo's mistaken contention that "Even if Roger would not exisit on this planet Roddick will not win a Grand Slam title coz he will lose to Lleyton, Nadal or Safin."

Surely if one is going to diss a player so very assertively it would be wise to get one's facts right you must agree.
Bilbo cleared his statement by stating his reference to the present not past. And you have to agree to this in some degree because Roddick has not played Federer this year and somehow have not made a grandslam title (or a final for that matter) in the last two years. Will this trend continue. Perhaps

If your contention was not "who was the better player", why did you add "when was the last time Hewitt won a grand slam title". Therefore that is also irrelevent. Just answering the question thats all.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Andy looks very vulnerable on grass this year. Last year he dominated everyone on grass except Roger and Mario. If he wouldn´t have run of the court in the semis, he would have lost that match and he knows it. I was wondering why he didn´t left the court when it was raining today. Perhaps because he was in front. Andy looks very shaky this year. He had problems in Queens against players like Beck and Stepanek and he had problems in Wimbledon against Braccialli and a very bad serving Grosjean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bilbo since you are so very keen on talking about the present it maybe helpful to note that all of Hewitt's Slam wins (and I am not belittling them) came BEFORE the 2003 US Open victory by Roddick.

Seriously though, I don't understand this hostility towards the A-Rod. He is a seriously funny person, a great tennis player definitely in the top 5 in the world - bar the French he has reached the semis of every Slam at least once in the past two years, he holds the best win-loss record on grass for any current players. Like Tangerine Dream said - all about serve players are the Karlovic's and Flip's.

If Roddick is as poor as you seem to believe he is, why is it then that the Fed himself would claim "For me Andy Roddick is the biggest threat of all." I suppose you think you know more about tennis than the best player in the world.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pingpong,

Roddick has not played Federer this year and somehow have not made a grandslam title (or a final for that matter) in the last two years.
You seem to have forgotten that Roddick made the WImbly final last year.

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
gte456z said:
anyone got any idea how long the rain is suppose to last?
Sorry - but probably a long time :sad: We only have another couple of hours of light left here now anyway and as it's still pouring at the moment and they'll need a while to dry the courts out, there's a very good chance they may not resume at all tonight.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
activist_99 said:
Pingpong,

You seem to have forgotten that Roddick made the WImbly final last year.
Yes, thats my mistake of course. But the point being is that he hasn't shown much lately and have been beaten by players other than Federer. Roddick had a very nice draw this tournament against opponents that he should beat and even then he has faced trouble in Bracciali and Grosjean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pingpong

You are right of course. A-Rod's 5 setter against Bracialli (and in the French against Acasuso) revealed Henman-esque qualities that I didn't think he had. (I'm not talking about his net play which I thought was good). Against Grosjean though - he performed well enough. Seb is an extremely talented grass court player, the no. 9 seed and has made the Semis at Wimbly for the past two years.

301 - 320 of 342 Posts