Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tired of circuit life and/or injuries, will only play in national french tournaments that don't count for ATP ranking but have some interesting €€€.

Ouanna
- 29 yo, best ranking #88 in 2009. Beat Safin in French Open this year. Decent indoor player but was never able to pass the challenger level. Now a dad.

Burquier
- 30 yo, best ranking #167 in 2011. Won the StBrieuc CH in 2012. Decent lefty game, he explained that he would have maybe done better with a coach, loneliness was difficult to handle and not enough self-belief. Nice interview here : http://blog.playeur.co/gregoire-burquier-un-tennisman-presque-comme-les-autres/

"Q : A funny story that happened to you on the tour ?

A : I played my first Gran Slam qualies in Australian Open 2011. In order to have your accreditation, you have to fill in a lot of papers in english, that I hardly speak. So I start filling the papers, and then arrives another player. I don't pay attention and continue trying to decode the gibberish written under my eyes. And suddenly I realize that it's Andy Murray, he says hello and sits next to me with the paper in his hands. I finish filling mine, and he speaks to me with his terrible scottish accent. Of course, I don't understand anything, I'm in total panic, because I'm afraid to look like an idiot, knowing that all players speak english fluently (except the french of course). I make him repeat twice but impossible to understand what he wants. And then he speaks in french "the pen, please". Finally he just wanted my pen and I wasn't even able to understand. I was ridiculous in front of the number 4 of the world"

Obry - 24 yo, best ranking #250 some months ago. Was successful in juniors but never passed the Futures level.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts
surprised the pest Obry called it a career

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
One of the rare times when people actually know the players mentioned in these retirement threads. Ouanna's been so out of the games now that it almost makes no difference. He was part with Tsonga and Monfils of the three youngs guns french promises. Made the AO jr final losing to Monfils.
A resume of his career given that the english wiki is empty http://memim.com/josselin-ouanna.html

I'm sorry for Burquier, was a favorite of mine and also friends of mine. Pulled some good results on those indoor french CHs and the occasional upsets on clay too. Anyone recalls last year epic comeback against Jaziri from set and 5-1 down? lol

Funny story with Murray.

Thanks OP.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Ouanna lost a lot of matches to weaker players I think. Maybe wasn't hungry enough.
Last couple of years he didn't have the physical condtion I guess.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
he speaks to me with his terrible scottish accent.
Take it to the say what you want about Murray thread, Burquier

Reactions: rus59

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
All of them fullfiled their potential tbh...
I don't think Ouanna fullfiled his potential at all. I think he could've been in the top 50 (not a consistent top 50 player, but he should've been more often on the ATP Tour than in challengers and Futures)

I'm surprised Obry called a career. He's still young to quit, and just reached his best ranking.

As far as Inzerillo and Eysseric are still there, I'm happy :D

·
MONSOON season.
81,993 Posts
I don't think Ouanna fullfiled his potential at all. I think he could've been in the top 50 (not a consistent top 50 player, but he should've been more often on the ATP Tour than in challengers and Futures)

I'm surprised Obry called a career. He's still young to quit, and just reached his best ranking.

As far as Inzerillo and Eysseric are still there, I'm happy :D
I fully agree with this post. Though I never cared for him, Ouanna could have done better.

I do think Burquier met his potential. I enjoy his game, but he simply wasn't good enough to cut it even in Challengers.

Obry: I don't care.

·
Registered
68,592 Posts
ouanna is now working as a coach for mouratouglou tennis accademy. saw him in madrid with the outfit. he was kind of retired already

same for burquier, has been for months deciding if playing more or not...

but really shocking and unexpected news from obry. i used to like this guy a lot, pretty one handed backhand, had many sponsors, good hands, nice guy...really surprising. will miss him a lot tbh

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Ouanna? :eek:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Ouanna's talent went largely unfulfilled IMO. He was right there with Tsonga, Simon, and Monfils as a junior, and really was the only one to not come through. A lot of people really thought that Ouanna was going to start living up to his potential after the 2009 FO, but nothing really came after that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts