Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

Registered
A few one, OK, but not some players that are clearly not even close to GS-level, some of them not even close to good Challenger players or with the potential to reach that.
You're endorsing Willis as Grand Slam level then?

Look, it's all subjective, you can argue for or against anyone's inclusion.

The point is, wildcards are fun and tournaments can hand them out to whoever the hell they want. Hell, even in Qatar where they trudge out that same unranked guy for like eight years in a row and won like three total games. Who cares, lighten up. "OH WHAT A TRAVESTY, RADU ALBOT LOST HIS SPOT BECAUSE OF IT"

Registered
You're endorsing Willis as Grand Slam level then?

Look, it's all subjective, you can argue for or against anyone's inclusion.

The point is, wildcards are fun and tournaments can hand them out to whoever the hell they want. Hell, even in Qatar where they trudge out that same unranked guy for like eight years in a row and won like three total games. Who cares, lighten up. "OH WHAT A TRAVESTY, RADU ALBOT LOST HIS SPOT BECAUSE OF IT"
I don't understand nationalism in tennis. I go to Rotterdam ATP 500 annually and I am glad I watched Zverev, Tsitsipas, FAA all before they were well-known (received wild-cards by the tournament based on their potential and huge talent), instead of some Dutch amateur losing 6-0 6-0.

Registered
Erm... you know this is tennis we're talking about right? What is the #1 thing you need?
Uhm, good training and education, fitness, talent, technique, maybe some decent tactics, motivation (especially intrinsic would be great), ability to focus, mental stability...

Money is overrated. Ask Gulbis.

So what!? There's 128 players in a grand slam draw, let them have a crack at it. I bet you hate Marcus "Willbomb" Willis :rolleyes:
See, you are mixing up things. Willis qualified and earned his spot in the main draw. There is a difference between him and players who don't have to do anything but ask their national federation for a wildcard to enter the main draw. Over and over again.

Registered
Uhm, good training and education, fitness, talent, technique, maybe some decent tactics, motivation (especially intrinsic would be great), ability to focus, mental stability...

Money is overrated. Ask Gulbis.
And you randomly pay for all that how? Oh, that's right. All the greats were just magically born professional tennis players.

Registered
And you randomly pay for all that how? Oh, that's right. All the greats were just magically born professional tennis players.
That's up to the national associations and parents of course. To guide the talented kids and help them to make the right decisions.

I don't see players getting better after receiving another wildcard and a decent amount of money for just showing up. Do you?

Registered
Who are half of these people LOL.
I remember Halys rejected the WC a couple of years ago cause wanted to earn his place from Qualifying. He failed ultimately, but he earned my respect for that.

Registered
That's up to the national associations and parents of course. To guide the talented kids and help them to make the right decisions.

I don't see players getting better after receiving another wildcard and a decent amount of money for just showing up. Do you?
You literally contradict yourself immediately. The windfall of money, provided by the national association, to their national players will immediately improve their training/coaching/travel/etc/whatever. My goodness this isn't hard.

Registered
Who are half of these people LOL.
I remember Halys rejected the WC a couple of years ago cause wanted to earn his place from Qualifying. He failed ultimately, but he earned my respect for that.
Hah, not true at all. He rejected it out of spite because he didn't feel the FFT supported him enough in the past so he wanted to "show them" and it backfired.

Which is fine by me by the way, respect for that reason too. But don't believe it was for some moral holy than thou reasons

Registered
Where is their USA and AO wildcard????
No reciprocals with USTA this year (there were no French WCs at USO) but this should resume next year. As for Australians, FFT did reserve wild cards for them but, per FFT technical director, they received a message from Tennis Australia that wildcards are not needed this year.

Registered
Clayray with the wildcard! Let鈥檚 go and take the title!

Registered
But a partnership exists between other GS ...
Between? Because there are more than 1, therefore among or across other slams.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts