Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to the WTF in London before and to the tournaments in Austria (Vienna / Kitzbühel). But I have never been to a Grand Slam tournament and I would like to thave that experience, when the big 3 (or at least Rafole) are still playing. FO are the nearest to me, so it makes sense to go there. Also there is a good possibility to see my countryman Thiem in the latter stages of that tournament.

So I would like to ask fellow MTF members for advice, what's the best way to get tickets for the FO? On the official website it says that tickets go on sale:
  • Inauguration of the court Philippe-Chatrier, from February 27, 2020
  • General Public - all packages, from March 25, 2020
Source: https://tickets.rolandgarros.com/en/general/informations

I'm not really sure what they mean by inauguration. When should I start checking for tickets? Or do I realistically speaking not have any chance to get tickets via the official website, and have to resort looking on ticket reselling sites? Such as Viagogo and Ticketmaster. I would like to watch QF, SF and Finals if possible and am willing to spend some cash on it. I do not need the best seats in the stadium, but also not last row. I'd rather spend a bit more and have a good viewing experience.

Anything else I should know? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I went to the FO a few years ago. It's a very well-organized tournament and tickets are not hard to come by like Wimbledon for the first week.

The inauguration of Philippe Cartier is because they have made renovations, so on the first day there will be a special ceremony with music. I received the email the other day as a member and I'm thinking about going for that, as I prefer to go for the 1st and 2nd rounds of slams.

To get tickets for the QFs should not be a problem. SFs and Finals, you should be ready to buy them directly from the website the day they are available. Also, in the week before March 25, search online for presales, as sometimes members of tennis clubs and things like that have passwords available. I did the same for the Davis Cup this year and not only got tickets to see Spain before they sold out, but received a 15% discount on the tickets.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Also thinking about going in the First week?
For the ones who have been there. Am i right, if you buy tickets for Lenglen you Van Not go to the Mathieu Court but the other outside courts?

·
Premium Member
11,765 Posts
I have no clue how the FO process works, but just seeing any live tennis is a fricken blessing.

Its crazy how many people go to the tournaments and don't know a thing about tennis, but then we show up as wizened Gurus.

Enjoy yourself, and I pray you get to see a Thiem 5 setter.

·
Registered
206 Posts
For the most popular sessions (men's final and men's SFs) you need a bit of luck to be in a good position in the queue on March 25, and then once it's your turn, you have to be quick.

But even if you don't get everything you wanted, there will still be the resale service on the official site. Don't buy on illegal resale sites (viagogo, ticketmaster, ...), tickets are personalized.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was at the French Open in 2017. Bought tickets through the official site, logging in at 09:00 in the morning when the public sale started (end of March). I was like number 6000 in the queue and for like 1 1/2 hours I was staring at a counter that slowly went down...
Eventually I could select the tickets, there were still quite a few available for the first week. I selected Ground pass for day 1, PC for day 2 and C1 for day 3. It was only allowed to buy a maximum of 4 show court (PC, SL or C1) tickets, don't know if that still applies.
With the PC and C1 ticket you could also walk around the grounds and visit the other courts (except PC, SL and C1), I guess nowadays it's the same for SM.

By the way: The safest (but also most laborious) way to get very good tickets for a Grand Slam centre court match is the Wimbledon Queue (https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/atoz/queueing.html). I've done it twice already and will be there again this year :cool:

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I don't know if it is like this now, but I was back in 2018 and one ticket was for one of the central courts (PC, SL or #1) + for all side courts.

I strongly recommend outside courts, so you will avoid matches like Nadal - Pella, but you can see some gems like Dimitrov - Donaldson (best match ever)

I am here:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went 6 years ago, the only thing i didnt like is theres no in and out. once you leave you cant come back in. also the tickets are pretty pricey.

·
Premium Member
11,765 Posts
I went 6 years ago, the only thing i didnt like is theres no in and out. once you leave you cant come back in. also the tickets are pretty pricey.
5 setter on clay must be worth a one time visit for all of us superfans.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
5 setter on clay must be worth a one time visit for all of us superfans.
You can leave the match and go to the other one, you just can't leave the venue to f.e. go eat something in the city centre and come back two hours later.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
  • Inauguration of the court Philippe-Chatrier, from February 27, 2020
  • General Public - all packages, from March 25, 2020
Source: On passe le filet - Billetterie Roland-Garros

I'm not really sure what they mean by inauguration. When should I start checking for tickets? Or do I realistically speaking not have any chance to get tickets via the official website, and have to resort looking on ticket reselling sites? Such as Viagogo and Ticketmaster. I would like to watch QF, SF and Finals if possible and am willing to spend some cash on it. I do not need the best seats in the stadium, but also not last row. I'd rather spend a bit more and have a good viewing experience.
Maybe someone else here who is from France can confirm or refute the following: I thought the first date (Feb 27) was reserved for people who have a tennis license in France. The best would be to send them an email.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread. I will try my luck on the 25th of March and just hope for the best.

For the most popular sessions (men's final and men's SFs) you need a bit of luck to be in a good position in the queue on March 25, and then once it's your turn, you have to be quick.

But even if you don't get everything you wanted, there will still be the resale service on the official site. Don't buy on illegal resale sites (viagogo, ticketmaster, ...), tickets are personalized.
That's good to know, I didn't know that. So every person that enters the venue will be asked to show some ID? And if it doesn't match with the ticket owner you won't be allowed to get in? Or do they just randomly pick people and ask them for an ID at the entrance? Either way, I won't try my luck with viagogo or ticketmaster then. Not going to pay a small fortune for tickets that would be invalid then when you try to enter...

I was at the French Open in 2017. Bought tickets through the official site, logging in at 09:00 in the morning when the public sale started (end of March). I was like number 6000 in the queue and for like 1 1/2 hours I was staring at a counter that slowly went down...
Eventually I could select the tickets, there were still quite a few available for the first week. I selected Ground pass for day 1, PC for day 2 and C1 for day 3. It was only allowed to buy a maximum of 4 show court (PC, SL or C1) tickets, don't know if that still applies.
With the PC and C1 ticket you could also walk around the grounds and visit the other courts (except PC, SL and C1), I guess nowadays it's the same for SM.

By the way: The safest (but also most laborious) way to get very good tickets for a Grand Slam centre court match is the Wimbledon Queue (https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/atoz/queueing.html). I've done it twice already and will be there again this year :cool:
Thanks, I will definitely try to login as soon as possible and check if tickets for the 2nd week are still available. Do you remember if there were tickets for SF / Finals still available or you didn't even look for those?

I have signed up for the Wimbledon overseas ballot every year, but no luck so far. I guess queueing would be an option it it doesn't work out with the FO tickets :)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Maybe someone else here who is from France can confirm or refute the following: I thought the first date (Feb 27) was reserved for people who have a tennis license in France. The best would be to send them an email.
Yes indeed the first date end of February is only for people of have French Tennis license and from 25 March for all other people in the world, you better log in just before the start and you will be in queue. As I am from Brussels, only 1h25m with the fast train from Paris, I went many times to RG. I strongly recommend outside courts for the first couple of days of the tournament. Last time I went in 2017, I went with my best friend and his girlfriend, and as she absolutely wanted to see Nadal, we had purchased a ticket for Centre Court for 2 days. Finally, Rafa played on Lenglen, and we almost spent no time on the Center court, I remember, we went to see Schwartzman-Rublev on a very small outside court (Rublev was just about to break though at this time), and it was amazing to see the 2 first sets there, so close to the players, so one could really feel the game and the sound of the ball. Then we left because they wanted to see Dkokovic against I think it was Granollers, and it was boring as hell and you can't really see the game so well if you are not at the bottom. Hopefully during these 2 days, I saw some good matches in the outside courts like Khachanov/Jarry or Chung/Querrey…in the first week, matches on the outside courts are always better, and you can really feel the tennis.
With all the new works, it is going to be interesting to go back to RG, this year will be complicated for me, but I guess that from 2021 on, I can go every year again.
So in a summary, my advice, if you go for 2 days : one day : buy a ticket for a big court (personally I prefer the Lenglen than the Chatrier, but with the new roof, could be interesting to see it), or maybe buy the Suzanne Mathieu, the picturesque new court in the Serres and then for another just buy a ticket for the outside court, it is worth your money as you can see plenty of good matches from 11am until 21h00 or more for just around 30€,

·
Registered
321 Posts
The Inaugaration of the Chatrier court is being held PRE TOURNAMENT

It is a hit and giggle , formerly called Benne Berthet Day

Its on the Saturday

ONLY these tickets can be purchased in February

Saturday schedule
From 10AM

Charity day
Exhibition matches on all courts

Free seating

COURT PHILIPPE-CHATRIER From 8:30PM

Opening ceremony - Sound and light show with celebrities from the world of tennis and international DJs

Inauguration tickets holders only

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread. I will try my luck on the 25th of March and just hope for the best.

That's good to know, I didn't know that. So every person that enters the venue will be asked to show some ID? And if it doesn't match with the ticket owner you won't be allowed to get in? Or do they just randomly pick people and ask them for an ID at the entrance? Either way, I won't try my luck with viagogo or ticketmaster then. Not going to pay a small fortune for tickets that would be invalid then when you try to enter...

Thanks, I will definitely try to login as soon as possible and check if tickets for the 2nd week are still available. Do you remember if there were tickets for SF / Finals still available or you didn't even look for those?

I have signed up for the Wimbledon overseas ballot every year, but no luck so far. I guess queueing would be an option it it doesn't work out with the FO tickets :)
I was not asked for an ID at the entrance. But they might do random checks.

I'm not 100% sure, maybe there were a few SF tickets left, but I didn't really look because they were too expensive and my plan was to be there during the first days when there's lots of action on the outside courts. Similar to devision2002 I also spent half of the day on the outside courts even though I had PC tickets (not interested in Women's tennis, only watched Djokovic-Granollers and Zverev-Verdacso). The good thing is that on the show courts you have reserved seats where you can come and go whenever you want (of course only during change-overs). On the outside courts you sometimes have to queue until you can get in (if all seats are occupied). And once you've claimed a seat you should stay there and not leave for a toilet break ;-)

·
Registered
321 Posts
They check EVERY person with proof of id at the gates

But you can change the name on the ticket to yours online up to the night beforehand

So it is NOT the name printed on the e ticket, but the name which they have on the Roland Garros system on the day

1 You scan the e ticket (which could have another name on it)

2 The turnstile prints out a small ticket with YOUR NAME on

3 then you show this ticket AND ID to another security

4 This small ticket is what you use all day (not the eticket)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts