Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
GOAT 3rd set tiebreak

Inhumane effort from Fritz playing at 80000% to force 2 tiebreaks, but he was just delaying the inevitable, as there is no hope of victory against the SoneGOD

3 down, 4 to go. Pray for mercy

Registered
Make no mistake, Sonego played his heart out. His FH was brilliant.

But his extended or after grunting, turn-off.

I rarely saw someone so calm, cool, composed and calculated on so many consecutive MP's down as Fritz that tiebreak. Absolutely unbelievably steady play down MP's, he picked every right shot, never hurried or tried to rush himself out of an ugly MP down spot when a slight opening presented itself.

And then an umpire royally fucked up again. Umps can be quite useless.

At 17-17 Sonego hit his shot long, and won the rally. Fritz pointed it out after (not his job to riskily end the rally and call the shot), but the ump wasn't gonna check it at that point anymore.

Big rule fuck-up: Why not? Nothing bad could stem from it.

Fritz had many SP's, but only one on serve, which he indeed fluffed. All others were snuffed out by Sonego on his serve, with brilliant attacking play and/or big serving.

Registered
What a tiebreak, but boy one of Sonego's shots on SP sure looked out

Registered
You wouldn't expect this level of clutchness from someone looking like Fredo Corleone, but it is there.

Reactions: Enrico82 and n00b

Registered
Make no mistake, Sonego played his heart out. His FH was brilliant.

But his extended or after grunting, turn-off.

I rarely saw someone so calm, cool, composed and calculated on so many consecutive MP's down as Fritz that tiebreak. Absolutely unbelievably steady play down MP's, he picked every right shot, never hurried or tried to rush himself out of an ugly MP down spot when a slight opening presented itself.

And then an umpire royally fucked up again. Umps can be quite useless.

At 17-17 Sonego hit his shot long, and won the rally. Fritz pointed it out after (not his job to riskily end the rally and call the shot), but the ump wasn't gonna check it at that point anymore.

Big rule fuck-up: Why not? Nothing bad could stem from it.

Fritz had many SP's, but only one on serve, which he indeed fluffed. All others were snuffed out by Sonego on his serve, with brilliant attacking play and/or big serving.

Ace Loveforty
Longest TB in RG history. Just a couple of points short of being tied for longest ever in slams

Registered
what a choke Fritz, led 4-1 in 1st tb, wasted like 8 set points in 3rd, unreal
choke my ass, that was one of the calmest and clutchest performances I ever saw, and I bet on Fritz and would have every reason to be mad.

Registered
That's what happens when you gift a set to a guy like Sonego. Fritz lost that 1st set TB from 4-1 and that's all Sonego needed. The Italian isn't really full of confidence usually, but when he has a set behind his back, it's a whole different game. He played his best tennis and deserved to win. Fritz tried, but wasn't sharp on set points. Missed 3 set points in the 3rd at 5-4, then had his chances in the TB, but Sonego was solid. And yea, that ball at 17-17 was OUT. And still, the main reason Fritz lost this match is losing that first set TB and giving Sonego confidence.

Registered
Congratulations to the winner but his delayed grunting on match point was absolutely scandalous.

Registered
Quite simply, Fritz is a moose.

Sure, Sonego was nice and solid (as well as clutch) but Fritz simply didn't play the big points particularly well from what I saw.

Registered
Quite simply, Fritz is a moose.

Sure, Sonego was nice and sold (as well as clutch) but Fritz simply didn't play the big points particularly well from what I saw.
He played the ones he had to save MPs well, but didn't play the ones where he had set points well enough.

Registered

justice for all
choke my ass, that was one of the calmest and clutchest performances I ever saw, and I bet on Fritz and would have every reason to be mad.
Well Fritz saved 7 or 8 match points too before he succumbed so it wasn't exactly a choke.

Registered
Well Fritz saved 7 or 8 match points too before he succumbed so it wasn't exactly a choke.
It was one of the clutchest performances of the year, by both, not "not exactly a choke" haha

Registered
can mods merge this one also? cmon jeez

1 - 20 of 27 Posts