Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
59,346 Posts
That was absolutely awful. Something like 60 UEs in 3 sets, according to the very generous Slam stats. 0 in-match adjustments, including continuing to go for winners (and miss 90% of them) when Nishioka was trying to choke.

Nishioka has an enjoyable game.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Felix's slump continues. He overhits and can't find his best shots, but doesn't dial back.
He looks like Denis looked about a year ago or more ago, overhitting, frustrated etc.

So many BPs squandered!

I have no doubt he'll find his way out of it, in time. maybe a new coach is in order?

Nish played well but that isn't the reason Felix lost.

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
FAA was an EU machine again, Nishioka gave up one of the breaks in 3rd set, then tried to choke when serving the match out, but FAA didn't let him.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,301 Posts
Power is just one aspect of the game. You also need court craft, resilience, guile, tactics, variety to maximise your game. Nishioka has a lot more than meets the eye, so I'm not surprised Felix was unable to impose his game successfully over the long run, especially on such a court as this.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I was not expecting FAA to impose a threat to top players, but losing to Nishioka in 3 is disappointing for him for sure. Lets see how felix comes back on indoor HC.

Goof for nishioka to move on from his defeat in the USO and finish the job here.

Reactions: Denis denis

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
A lefty Schwartzman on amphetamines this Nishi. It's fun to watch a player enjoying himself and not just grinding out of necessity. Until he needed to serve it out he was having a blast. But then he decided to replay the ending of their previous meeting and almost choke away a 5-1 lead on serve again. Luckily for him he failed on both occasions, but I won't be surprised if he keeps trying. Third time a charm they say...

FAA was absolutely clueless, as in almost all of his matches in the past year or so. He has no idea what to do. I'm repeating myself ad nauseam, but nothing will improve until he hires new brains to guide him.

·
Registered
29,418 Posts
Nishioka is a nightmare opponent on a day where your game is just not clicking, because Yoshi will not miss and just force you to play one more shot.

Still, terribly unimpressive from FAA, making one cheap error after another. He needs to learn how to change his strategy when plan A is not working. A proper coach would be in order. Does he have Norman's number?

Reactions: SetPointDown

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
but but FAA is gunna be a multiple Grand Slam winner and future World No.1!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Felix is so streaky. Hard to believe that this was the same player that crushed Andy Murray at the US Open and made a couple of Finals in February. The shutdown of the season in March really hurt him. He was really on a hot streak and has been unable to get it back yet. He’s still young though and has plenty of time. If you watched the US commentators during the Murray match, they all thought he would be a multiple Grand Slam winner.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
Does he have Norman's number?
Would be great. Unfortunately, I assume Norman will want to focus on his personal life for now and stay close to home rather than wander around the globe with another top player.
But the desperate need in getting a new coach is as glaring as it can be.

Reactions: Orka_n

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Nishioka has had quite a few unlucky draws and heartbreaking 5 set losses at the slams these last couple years so I'm very happy for him.

FAA will do better in the future, I'm sure. Nothing to get alarmed about he's still so young.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Felix is certainly in a more lengthy slump. A new coach/mentor would be the natural step. No real insight to what goes on in his camp.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Nishioka was like a wall in this one and I can relate to FAA's frustration, but still - he had to do better. I put half of the blame on his team - he clearly had no game plan, let alone plan B. And even tho I know why he was frustrated, he also deserves some blame for not overcoming these tough moments. He lost his focus way too often and wasn't sharp when it mattered. A good lesson for him today and also this match pointed toward what he will need to work on in the future.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Would be great. Unfortunately, I assume Norman will want to focus on his personal life for now and stay close to home rather than wander around the globe with another top player.
But the desperate need in getting a new coach is as glaring as it can be.
According to the official story I assume the same. But then again Felix is a good prospect for a top coach...

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
According to the official story I assume the same. But then again Felix is a good prospect for a top coach...
I just think that if traveling with a player was an option, Magnus would have stayed with Stan until his retirement.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts