Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A surprising result - atleast for me. Ruusuvuori quite poor, Bonzi decent.

Bonzi had all kind of troubles in his first qualifying match against Kolar - including saving 5 MPs on Kolar's serve back in QR1 so he has come some way.

Plays Sinner next.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Can we unban @teamthiem for a second plz? :p

Also condolences to this guy.
Was hoping for a Ruuso-Sinner R2, that would have definitely made him rise from his grave. Already saved his avatar for the thread. :lol:

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Ruusuvuori is overrated by the handful of Finnish posters on here. Bonzi looked good here 3 years ago when he beat Medvedev but like a lot of young French players, he's taken time to develop. He's erratic but fun to wtch.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Ruusuvuori is overrated by the handful of Finnish posters on here. Bonzi looked good here 3 years ago when he beat Medvedev but like a lot of young French players, he's taken time to develop. He's erratic but fun to wtch.
Its not just Finns, his win against a subpar Thiem has created unreasonable expectations on him. He is 21 but started competing in challengers a little more than a year ago. He is a late bloomer and very inexperienced. The coronavirus break robbed him of a late of good experience,

He was tearing up the challenger tour at the end of last year. He wasnt great at the start of the year, although he had wins against Sinner, Dennis Novak and Gojowczyk. He played well to make R2 of Cincinnatti, routined Chardy, beat Kordra Jr and layed a very tight three setter against Berrettini. Beat Bedene in US open R1 and was injured against Casper Ruud for R2. Injury plus inexerience in the switch from hard to clay can explain his bad losses in the last few matches. Also, bar a clay challenger final he hasnt done anything on that surface.

He needs to find some rhytm, if I were his coach Id recommend for him to play a few challengers to get into the groove. When his offensive game clicks he plays top 20 tennis. I think he can still make some good results on European indoor courts this year. His season has been slightly dissappointing in comparison to the form he was in a year ago. But he is definitely very talented. His forehand is too good for him not to make the top 50 within a year. If that doesnt happen I will concede that I overrated him.

·
Registered
68,568 Posts
Emil :///

1 - 9 of 9 Posts