Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
There will be - even if behind closed doors. Cases are pretty low in the UK at present due to half the population having been vaccinated. Nottingham, Birmingham Queens, Eastbourne and Wimbledon will 100% go ahead - whatever happens with the German and Dutch events.

But a disgusting decision by the French open - what difference will one week make in terms of health and safety. Very inconsiderate for the opening week of the grass court season in Rosmalen, Stuttgart and Nottingham. Can they sue Roland Garros? And for Queens and Halle - who start the day after the men's final.

Two years in a row - this has happened - and this time its a totally pointless move!
The Roland-Garros organizers are hamstrung by the inept idiots in government. They'd pack the stands if they could obviously.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's a questionable decision but please stop talking about greed, RG provides for 80% of the French federation revenue, so it's vital for the sport in the country that RG has an audience.
I don't see the greed argument - I just don't see what difference one week is going to make. Things are looking bad COVID wise - today they had 20 times as many deaths as the UK and have five times the new cases.

Makes me wonder if a lot of players will skip the Dutch/German events and stay in the UK for the entire time post RG. So it might boost the fields for Queens and Eastbourne. All this moving around from country to country will need to be minimised.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Makes me wonder if a lot of players will skip the Dutch/German events and stay in the UK for the entire time post RG. So it might boost the fields for Queens and Eastbourne. All this moving around from country to country will need to be minimised.
Not just that but they moved Ilkley to Nottingham so you've got two 125 challengers back-to-back in the exact same location on grass in the UK right before Wimbledon, those are gonna be really strong entry lists I imagine. Again this is all "for now" who knows what will change more again

·
Registered
291 Posts
Please people before laughing at a meaningless one week delay, get informed... France is under complete lockdown for a month, they just can't play the tournament in such conditions. It is not about Covid getting better, it is just about people being able to go out and move around. That being said it sucks, and playing RG gets indeed very questionable for Federer at this point.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Most countries don't play grass court tennis. It's an almost redundant surface.

All the young players play on clay. No one cares about grass anymore. People crying about Rosmalen? Who, of any note, was going to play that anyway?

The gap between RG and Wimbledon was historically two weeks up until a few years ago. No big deal.
Exactly. I find grass really weird to watch. It just doesn't look right on TV. Wimbledon for me is the last slam I would want to win, since it is a niche surface and is not the measurement of a player. I find it annoying when some players say how it's the best slam, the most prestigious, their favourite slam. If I was a player, id want to win a clay or hard court slam because if I win, then I will have a very good career since the calandar is based mainly on clay and hard. I think grass should either be featured more, which then more players would develop their game on it, or it should be scrapped all together

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Please people before laughing at a meaningless one week delay, get informed... France is under complete lockdown for a month, they just can't play the tournament in such conditions. It is not about Covid getting better, it is just about people being able to go out and move around. That being said it sucks, and playing RG gets indeed very questionable for Federer at this point.
That is the entire point in two points.

(1) The ineptitude and ridiculously random mandates by the various levels of French government

(2) The FFT and the RG organizers pretending they aren't totally screwed and trying to save face with a "one week delay" when we all know the tournament ain't happening.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Exactly. I find grass really weird to watch. It just doesn't look right on TV. Wimbledon for me is the last slam I would want to win, since it is a niche surface and is not the measurement of a player. I find it annoying when some players say how it's the best slam, the most prestigious, their favourite slam. If I was a player, id want to win a clay or hard court slam because if I win, then I will have a very good career since the calandar is based mainly on clay and hard. I think grass should either be featured more, which then more players would develop their game on it, or it should be scrapped all together
Not correct, winning Wimbledon is more of an achievement because it is a niche surface. Dominating RG like Nadull does is boring. Grass should be featured more, and carpet needs to be re-introduced to the main circuit.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
What a shame, such a rubbish decision.
We don't how the pandemic is gonna be next week, but we already know what's gonna happen in 2 months :ROFLMAO:

Luckily players usually in the 2nd week of FO usually don't play Rosmalen or Stuttgart anyway, so it will be a little like 10 years ago when grass season was shorter, and Queens & Halle were immediately after FO
Instantly the person I thought who it can affect the most is Zverev,in particular if he makes the Quarters again and beyond.He likes playing these in between gigs... and then crashing out of the tournament shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Maybe they decided they need that extra one week before for a specific logistical purpose to do with the tournament, like qualifiers or bubble setup or something else related to covid government regulations ?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Maybe they decided they need that extra one week before for a specific logistical purpose to do with the tournament, like qualifiers or bubble setup or something else related to covid government regulations ?
They wan't to maximize the chance of them being able to sell tickets to a crowd - and who can blame them?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Funny how nobody said this was all Tio fault. You guys are missing the pun.
RG just trolled all Fedtarts and Nole tards. Oh the irony.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Wonder what the reasoning is? I wouldn't have thought one week would make any difference to the health situation, and it has a negative effect on other tournaments. Seems selfish
Apparently, the French govt. officials agreed to allowing crowds, if the start date is May 30th as opposed to playing in empty stadiums, if the start date is May 23rd.

Would one week delayed start make a difference?

To you and me, no.
But, in the eyes of French officials, yes.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Federer is probably not going to jeopardize his grass preparation to play Roland Garros now that RG is going to be delayed.

·
justice for all
17,627 Posts
Let’s not overreact. The grass season looked like it only a few years ago. It’s still so much better than moving it to Sep/Oct.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Federer is probably not going to jeopardize his grass preparation to play Roland Garros now that RG is going to be delayed.
Since 2006, in the last 15 years, the Halle champion, including the 10-time Halle champion, has won both Halle and Wimbledon in the same year only once. Federer, in the year 2017. No other Halle champion has won Wimbledon in the same year.

Since 2008, in the last 13 years, if you take out Hipray, who is irrelevant on the tour at this time, no other Queens champion has won Wimbledon in the same year.

Rafa skips grass tune-up and Djokovic hardly plays Queens of late. That sums up how much Halle and Queens are relevant to Wimbledon preparations.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
To be fair, a week can make a difference, depending how the vaccination progresses and when the lockdown effects unfold.

Right now, things look like shit in France, but it will be better when the tournament starts.

Still, you have to be deluded to believe a large crowd will be possible. For this to happen they need to postphone it till autumn.

I'm still more optimistic about Wimbledon, the vaccination is progressing nicely and the numbers look really good.

A crowded US Open is almost a lock as things go in the US. I can't wait!

Reactions: alypen

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Since 2006, in the last 15 years, the Halle champion, including the 10-time Halle champion, has won both Halle and Wimbledon in the same year only once. Federer, in the year 2017. No other Halle champion has won Wimbledon in the same year.

Since 2008, in the last 13 years, if you take out Hipray, who is irrelevant on the tour at this time, no other Queens champion has won Wimbledon in the same year.

Rafa skips grass tune-up and Djokovic hardly plays Queens of late. That sums up how much Halle and Queens are relevant to Wimbledon preparations.
The point is not Halle or Queens, the point is one week less between RG and Wimbledon. The time to switch from clay to grass is very short anyway, and one week less makes it even worse. But let's see what Federer decides, in case RG really happens with one week delay.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
It’s too bad ATP doesn’t have the power to veto these type decisions over the majors even if they themselves have a dubious & cowardly reputation & could possibly compound the problem. If i were real contenders for WB and/or USO, would seriously reconsider competing in FO & perhaps only stick to a few ATP Clay tourn. for defending/gaining points. There would certainly b a void at FO minus the likes of a Fedovic.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
Idiots, real idiots. This week will change nothing, only fucking up the schedule!
edit: I guess Stuttgart and den Bosch will bee like Kitzbühel last fall, for players which are already out of RG...

41 - 60 of 143 Posts