Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Plan for contingencies like any well-run business.
Well-run business and France is an oxymoron at this point, Smart Frenchmen either got out while they could or stayed behind and are fighting a really noble kamizake fight against government excess and control, corruption and the general brain drain of the nation as a whole. I do have hope that it'll turn around, but keeping business interests in France is just not worth or even possible to a lot of people anymore. This isn't about anonymous suits in boardroom meetings, this applies to farmers, butchers, skilled labourers, etc... A very similar situation is happening with the flight out of California in the States for example.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So ridiculous and selfish to the rest of the calendar
It's very wrong , now players that go deep into RG suffer for grass prep! Wonder if Djokovic will go hard still for RG or just let thiem.or rafa have it? If I was Djokovic I would save energy and time for wimbledon and us open preparations instead !

·
Registered
58 Posts
The expexted selfish move.

Lot of players will skip the French Open now to focus on the more important Wimbledon.

Federer surely will not play it now, too. What a mess, and all because of massive greed.
Most countries don't play grass court tennis. It's an almost redundant surface.

All the young players play on clay. No one cares about grass anymore. People crying about Rosmalen? Who, of any note, was going to play that anyway?

The gap between RG and Wimbledon was historically two weeks up until a few years ago. No big deal.

·
Your visions will happen
50,939 Posts
It's very wrong , now players that go deep into RG suffer for grass prep! Wonder if Djokovic will go hard still for RG or just let thiem.or rafa have it? If I was Djokovic I would save energy and time for wimbledon and us open preparations instead !
Well as others have said, 2 weeks was always the prep for Wimbledon since many decades, but it does rule out a grass warm up for Rafa/Nole

Fed may even skip RG entirely and play just on grass but we will see, we don't even know if this is confirmed for sure yet

·
Registered
838 Posts
It's a questionable decision but please stop talking about greed, RG provides for 80% of the French federation revenue, so it's vital for the sport in the country that RG has an audience.

·
Registered
20,700 Posts
One week LMAOOO

·
Registered
850 Posts
Every major event is "greedy". The notion that any of them would do anything harmful to their financial interests is ridiculous.
The problem with FFT's decision this year is not greed. Unlike last year when rescheduling was a powerful and logical move, now it's sheer idiocy as there's not a chance one week will make any difference. No, they won't be able to have thousands on site come June 1st.

Worth noting that FFT has a new president now. The previous one, Giudicelli, was voted out of his office this winter. If that's how his successor starts... good luck! FFT will need it.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Every major event is "greedy". The notion that any of them would do anything harmful to their financial interests is ridiculous.
Exactly. (y) I mean, who are these guys that think otherwise? it's ridiculous indeed! You like to think that guys that invest and produce major tennis tournaments are tennis guys, some are, some aren't, at the end of the day, they not only need to recoup the expenses of the tournament but also generate income because well, they are working their job. I mean my god, it's like the simplest principle and everyone these days just gets the pitchforks out and goes "greedy [email protected]^%" Embarrassing.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
will the guidelines actually be different a week later?
Most likely not, but they're banking on a miracle basically. They'll probably just postpone again or cancel outright if there are no spectator tickets sold. Let's not forget it was played in late September last year.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
One extra week will scare away the phantom media virus, okay I understand now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wonder what the reasoning is? I wouldn't have thought one week would make any difference to the health situation, and it has a negative effect on other tournaments. Seems selfish

·
Rankings Master
16,076 Posts
Queens and Halle schedule to begin the very next day after the final on June 14.

France destroying the grass season. 😎
You mean, Queens and Halle will start on the exact schedule they used to have every year before 2015? The outrage!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
You mean, Queens and Halle will start on the exact schedule they used to have every year before 2015? The outrage!
I don't think you get my point here... I agree with you, the French Open is STOMPING all over Queens and Halle by postponing by a week, I am literally agreeing with you - but you guys are so blinded by hatred you just assume I'm somehow ragging on Queens and Halle? Strange.

·
Rankings Master
16,076 Posts
I don't think you get my point here... I agree with you, the French Open is STOMPING all over Queens and Halle by postponing by a week, I am literally agreeing with you - but you guys are so blinded by hatred you just assume I'm somehow ragging on Queens and Halle? Strange.
You're assuming I'm assuming anything here.

All I'm saying is that time between RG and WMB has been 2 weeks long before and grass season wasn't "ruined". It will be fine. Still better than no grass at all like in 2020.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You're assuming I'm assuming anything here.

All I'm saying is that time between RG and WMB has been 2 weeks long before and grass season wasn't "ruined". It will be fine. Still better than no grass at all like in 2020.
I get ya man. I always thought grass was too short though, so I enjoyed it's expansion, and the upgrade for Queens to a 500. (it should be a god damn Masters IMO)

Also, I wouldn't be so sure about the 2021 grass season yet, still plenty of times for more cancellations. They already cancelled Surbiton and moved Ilkley at the challenger level.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do we know there is a grass season this year?
I mean, last year there wasn't.
There will be - even if behind closed doors. Cases are pretty low in the UK at present due to half the population having been vaccinated. Nottingham, Birmingham Queens, Eastbourne and Wimbledon will 100% go ahead - whatever happens with the German and Dutch events.

But a disgusting decision by the French open - what difference will one week make in terms of health and safety. Very inconsiderate for the opening week of the grass court season in Rosmalen, Stuttgart and Nottingham. Can they sue Roland Garros? And for Queens and Halle - who start the day after the men's final.

Two years in a row - this has happened - and this time its a totally pointless move!

21 - 40 of 143 Posts