Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
|
15,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
French Tennis Federation (FFT) director general Jean-Francois Vilotte commented, "We are on a 13-hectare site which allows the flow of spectators to be organised very differently from football stadiums." Organizers said that some of the measures being considered include distribution of "gel and mask kits" and "cancellation of tickets for holders from affected areas" in order to "minimize the risk of contagion".
Vilotte also said that the new Court Philippe Chatrier roof would not make the showpiece arena a "confined space" "Even with the roof closed, Court Philippe Chatrier is an outdoor court. It is covered, but there are spaces between the stands and the roof which make it not a confined enclosure."

·
Registered
486 Posts
Things that aren't happening this year: Roland Garros, Wimbledon, Olympics.

Right now, it feels too big to possibly cancel....the organisers can't conceive of that great a loss of earnings etc. When this thing ramps up towards it's peak, nations are going to be in mourning. Not only will it be a public health risk, but there would be a huge backlash for the perceived disrespect. Everything seems possible this far out with rose-tinted glasses. Ain't happening.

·
|
15,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No chance of Roland Garros being cancelled, that is for certain.
They'll ban the crowds potentially but that'd be all.
Whereas they might cancel Wimbledon, for obvious reasons.

·
justice for all
18,036 Posts
It's too far away to know what will happen. It's still 2,5 months until RG. If the outbreak continues to progress at the rate it does now - then EVERYTHING will be cancelled.
But if they manage to strangle it then maybe just maybe events might be played with proper precaution measures.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Will they change the 'hijab' law, and people will be allowed to wear masks?

·
Premium Member
ИДЕМО НОЛЕ
10,710 Posts
French Governement so far said they forbid over 1000 people gathering but they did not close Malls and there is a big problem with all Social demonstrations ("strikes") that are processing in France.

Sports Minister said she is prone to maintain Sports Events behind closed doors but they also postponed last Rugby match from 2020 6 Nations.

That said 1 Minister and 5 Members of French Congress are ill so far and may have contaminated the others so things can change.

·
Registered
273 Posts
They are trying to save FO, but as soon as death toll in France will skyrocket as in Italy they will change their mind.

·
Premium Member
ИДЕМО НОЛЕ
10,710 Posts
They are trying to save FO, but as soon as death toll in France will skyrocket as in Italy they will change their mind.
No offense as I am partly Genovese Corsican and was respecting Italian family model but I am afraid France can avoid that skyrocketing death toll.

They have parked and packed their over 70 elderly people in Retirement Houses where they are easier to protect when Italian families keep their elderly people at home when they are in relation with their relatives that are connected to real life and disease.

I used to have my Grandpa and Grandma at home when an infant and a child and they learnt me everything so I am very sad this old fashionned model can drive to more death but unfortunately it does.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Well last year they had a hard time avoiding people being trampled as the crowd surged from one court to another, so it seems far-fetched that they'd be able to prevent the spread of a contagion from one spectator to the next in such close quarters. Hopefully the virus will have burned off or died down by then.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
When will the FO make a final decision?
It's over 2 months from now, things can get a lot worse or better in that period ...

Also, I don't understand this concept of holding the event but with "no spectators" (I realize this wasn't the plan here, but I see posters talking about it on other threads.)
How could events be financially viable without paying customers in the stands?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Yeah we can talk and talk but tennis is different than football , to name a sport.
When will the FO make a final decision?
It's over 2 months from now, things can get a lot worse or better in that period ...

Also, I don't understand this concept of holding the event but with "no spectators" (I realize this wasn't the plan here, but I see posters talking about it on other threads.)
How could events be financially viable without paying customers in the stands?
I guess by paying less prices they re saying . I m guessing ratings will sky rocket too but I dont know for certain if its viable

·
|
15,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Should reschedule Roland Garros and play it way sooner, because we know Monte Carlo and Italia probably won't be played.
Maybe just play Madrid and Roland Garros this month.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
French authorities just banned any public gathering/event of more than 1000 ppl.

·
justice for all
18,036 Posts
Should reschedule Roland Garros and play it way sooner, because we know Monte Carlo and Italia probably won't be played.
Maybe just play Madrid and Roland Garros this month.
Even better to play it in Rafa Nadal's Academy in Mallorca, dude.

·
Premium Member
ИДЕМО НОЛЕ
10,710 Posts
French authorities just banned any public gathering/event of more than 1000 ppl.
Yep but they did not close Malls or Bigger Universities, and did not send the police to block demonstrations like Women on Sunday that were more than 5000 (previous rule).

So it is nonsense.

Governement is anyway about to collapse with a disaster on Sunday local elections.

That said they said no public gathering over 1000 EXCEPT if it is something usefull for the Nation, opening door to things like FO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts