Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looks like this is following consultation with the ATP and WTA, and it’s probably better there’s another week between USO an RG. It would obviously be better if it could be held but it’s feeling unlikely now. I expect it to be cancelled eventually.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
So, they are very determined, more than ever, to hold it.

We will see in the future how determined they are.

On edit: Roland Garros web page and twitter handle did not update the dates, btw.

·
Your visions will happen
48,653 Posts
Reasonable of course, 1 week is too close to USO

Of course, both will likely be cancelled

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Paris weather is not conducive to tennis into almost mid-October. Avg. temp is about 11-13 C./ 52-55F. and has dipped to as low as 1 C. /34 F. , not to mention possibility of rain.

I hope and expect tennis to return sometime early next year.

Good luck,
masterclass

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Paris weather is not conducive to tennis into almost mid-October. Avg. temp is about 11-13 C./ 52-55F. and has dipped to as low as 1 C. /34 F. , not to mention possibility of rain.

Good luck,
masterclass
They've got roof this year.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Who are they taking the spot from now :cool:
Well the ATP schedule has Shanghai Masters starting from Oct. the 11th. There are 2 250 tournaments in China in late Sept, and one in Sofia, Bulgaria. Two 500's in early Oct. - China and Japan Opens.
And that is just the ATP. I'm guessing the WTA has at least that number.

But again, I don't expect any of the tour's tennis tournaments to be played this year unless they agree to play without crowds and permit crossing borders without quarantine and other travel restrictions.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
|
15,026 Posts

Good luck,
masterclass
The weather has no impact on Roland Garros, otherwise they wouldn't have scheduled it for October....
No chance of it being cancelled for weather reasons, especially since clay dries so quickly compared to grass (remember Wimbledon has had massive amounts of rain over the years and always finished).
You seriously think we'll get to October and they'll say "Ah, we have to cancel now because we're afraid of the rain"!

·
|
15,026 Posts
Well the ATP schedule has Shanghai Masters starting from Oct. the 11th. There are 2 250 tournaments in China in late Sept, and one in Sofia, Bulgaria. Two 500's in early Oct. - China and Japan Opens.
And that is just the ATP. I'm guessing the WTA has at least that number.

But again, I don't expect any of the tour's tennis tournaments to be played this year unless they agree to play without crowds and permit crossing borders without quarantine and other travel restrictions.

Respectfully,
masterclass
I doubt any pro tennis player will want to play in China ever again, given the continued existence of their wet markets....
Plus we can never trust China's reporting, so we don't know how many coronavirus infections/deaths they have.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Probably easiest to postpone it to second half of November and run it over 5 weeks:
  • zero other tourneys to steal the spot from, except the exho revenue from Federer who barely gives two shits about FO anyway
  • every match can get played under the main court roof -> 24 hour playing cycle = 3 times as many TV and ticket revenue!
  • champions will be a Christmas miracle
WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN

1 - 20 of 103 Posts