Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After the decision to postpone the Roland-Garros tournament to 20th September - 4th October and the ensuing discussions with the international tennis authorities, the new international schedule drawn up by the ATP, WTA and ITF has granted the Roland-Garros tournament an extra week of competition. This way, the qualifying rounds will be played from Monday 21st to Friday 25th September and will be followed by the main draw from Sunday 27th September to 11th October.
In a bid to act responsibly, the FFT is now working with the French government to prepare for the tournament and set out suitable measures that will ensure the health and safety of all people present. All options will be considered and are susceptible to change.
“We are delighted that our discussions with the various international tennis authorities have allowed us to extend the 2020 edition of the Roland-Garros tournament to three weeks. In the current, difficult climate, we are well aware that it is a privilege to be able to hold Roland-Garros in its usual format. Especially since the qualifying tournament will help to financially support a category of professional players who have been severely affected by this unprecedented crisis. The responsible decision we made on 17th March to postpone the Roland-Garros tournament – the climax of the clay season – until the autumn means that the 2020 clay season can be saved, providing the current situation continues to improve. The Roland-Garros tournament is thus fulfilling its historic role as the clay-court world championships. The tournament in autumn 2020 will be a new chapter in Roland-Garros’ ongoing history,” explained Bernard Giudicelli, President of the FFT.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
So, the winner of the US Open would have two full weeks to rest and prepare for Roland Garros. However, the winner of the US Open wouldn't be able to play Madrid or Rome (especially Madrid). I think Nadal will skip the US Open, in that case. Djokovic, though, will play Cincinnati, US Open, and then Roland Garros.

·
Administrator | Wikidrawbot
9,669 Posts
This schedule is so outright ridiculous as stated before by posters above me. Barely breaks in between, just trying to cash in the most you can. Kitzbühel got the spot instead of other 250 clay events, quite arbitrary.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Just before the second wave. Good timing.

·
justice for all
17,665 Posts
So only 2 weeks between the two slams. It's like between RG and WM in the old times (before they added an extra week to the gap). That's very little time bearing in mind they'd need to change continents/ time zones.

·
Your visions will happen
50,996 Posts
Well with this packed schedule, winning matches quickly is key. Smart scheduling is key. I expect a lot of late withdrawls and surprise winners

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I'm genuinely happy for NadalaLot

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
bring it on, looking forward to the return of tennis!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts