Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian tennis player Frank Dancevic has lashed out at the organisers of the Wimbledon qualifying draw in a lengthy Facebook post. Dancevic said that he was extremely disappointed with the player services. Dancevic beat Marius Copil in a late match in the second round of qualifying yesterday. The first criticism was that the player restaurant closed at 9 which was a bit of a rush for players who matches finished late. By the time he got to the restaurant there was only left over Thai Curry or pasta with meat sauce.

Dancevic then hit out at the fact that there are only 2 massage therapists for 128 players and called for the tournament "to get their sh#t together”.

"This is Wimbledon people!!! Get your S##t together. Add 2 more therapists and everyone is out at 8:30pm. It's unfair to everyone"

In regards to the ice bath that a lot of pro players are using after their matches. At the site Dancevic said that there isn't one and players are instead using a rubbish bin filled with ice. To make Dancevic more irate by the time he wanted to use the “ice bin” he couldn't as the staff went home and there was no ice left.

Finally when he went to have his massage, his transportation refused to wait for him citing the 10pm deadline. Dancevic's coach tried to reasoned with the transportation person by arguing that he has a 3-5 set upcoming match however they replied “Planes don't wait for passengers so why should they wait for us.”. Dancevic said that another player was in the same situation as him but he didn't give their name.

Full facebook post by Dancevic

I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed at the player services at Wimbledon Qualifying this year. Given that it is the biggest tournament in the world you would think that the payers would feel welcome and comfortable on site. Let me give you my experience last night.

I played my second round match starting at 6pm . I got through 6-7, 7-6, 6-2. The match lasted nearly two and a half hours. Given the fact I just arrived from Clay courts on Saturday and that I have to play last round Qualies 3-5 set match on Grass thursday, I needed to move quickly and do as much regeneration-Nutrition as quickly as possible. My plan of attack was to take my recovery drink,Stretch, Ice bath, Massage, and eat dinner. I need to move as quickly as possible to be able to wind down and rest afterwards. Here is how it actually panned out!!!

It is now 8:45 after I showered, I find out the player restaurant closes at 9pm. So I have no choice but to drop my tennis bag in the players lounge and eat first. No problem. I got to see the choices..Left over thai curry or pasta with meat sauce. Not an idea meal for after a match but ok I pound a bowl of pasta with Meat sauce.

Next I rush to the physio's hoping that they are still around to get a stretch. I see that they are in fact there and there is a few guys lined up before me. No problem.. I wait 15 minutes and get a good stretch.

Next Ice bath.. Physio tells me ''Sorry Frank there is no ice bath on site, The players are using a Garbage bin and filling it with Water and ice'' Haha WHAT..'' But unfortunately the staff left for the day and there is no more ice.. Are you serious. A multi million dollar federation and facility with no Ice bath for players… Ok no problem..

Next is Massage. I see a line up of players who finished before me waiting in line. I ask the Massage therapist how long the wait is approx. And he said he's not sure but minimum 1 hour. And here is another major issue. 2 massage therapists for 128 singles players. Are these guys serious? This is Wimbledon people!!! Get your S##t together. Add 2 more therapists and everyone is out at 8:30pm. It's unfair to everyone.

Ok No problem I need to wait for a massage because I have a 3-5 set match coming up. As I'm laying on the table waiting for a massage, my Coach comes running in panicking. ''F++k the transportation doesn't want to wait for use''.. '' They told me 10pm is the deadline''.. '' They want to leave'' WHAT haha. I tell him to go and argue with them to hold a car for me for 30 minutes.. He goes and comes back..''No they don't want to wait''… The head of transportation told him that Planes don't wait for passengers so why should they wait for us.. Also told him that he is rich and he can afford a taxi.HAHAHAH.. I can't believe what is happening at this point. It's 10pm there is 2 other players getting a massage before me and all this is going on. one of the players hears the news and runs for transport to catch his ride. So I tell my coach to go back to transportation and beg them to hold a car.. I finish my massage around 10:35 and realize I left my bag in the players lounge. I go to open the door and its LOCKED.. ARE YOU SERIOUS. I can't get my bag out of the lounge and all the staff left the site.. The car didn't wait.. Everybody left..

So here I am at 10:45pm. Standing with another player in the same situation. No Bag, No car.. At this point I just want to head back and rest. After walking around the premises I find a security guard.. He was very nice.. he unlocked the Lounge where I got my Bag and called a taxi for us. We finally left the site at 11pm… Sad that this goes on at the most prestigious event in the wold!!!

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/World-107-Frank-Dancevic-heavily-criticises-Wimbledon-players-services-during-qualifying-articolo18623.html

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
too epic, could only happen in roehampton :haha:

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
He's right about some things :shrug:
Qualifiers are not treated the same as the top players. There is so much of them (128?). That's a huge number so they should have some extra personel there.
Restaurant closing at 9pm is just ridiculous. Are you kidding me? :stupid:

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
mateya, i bet you havent come to roehampton before :p

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I expect posters to tell him to man up, but seriously that's BS. The qualifiers play for a lot of money and decent ranking points. And Wimbledon makes a goddamn fortune on the players. Decent service is warranted.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
It's funny remember AO where Qualifiers had to pay for water and balls yet there the ones barely making a living and get treated like crap by organizers of a GS, while all top players who have lots of money get everything for free etc

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
It's funny remember AO where Qualifiers had to pay for water and balls yet there the ones barely making a living and get treated like crap by organizers of a GS, while all top players who have lots of money get everything for free etc
That was Sydney not AO iirc

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
156 is right, that was sydney

anyway, the only grand slam qualies you have to pay to attend are roland garros qualies...so they treat them like shit because its for free. roehampton is cool for the fans, but awful for the players

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
That was Sydney not AO iirc
156 is right, that was sydney

anyway, the only grand slam qualies you have to pay to attend are roland garros qualies...so they treat them like shit because its for free. roehampton is cool for the fans, but awful for the players
Yes I'm sorry but shows how Qualifiers get treated when they can barely break even

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I expect posters to tell him to man up, but seriously that's BS. The qualifiers play for a lot of money and decent ranking points. And Wimbledon makes a goddamn fortune on the players. Decent service is warranted.
How does Wimbledon make any money at all, let alone a fortune, out of qualifiers?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Only in a place where the qualifiers are off sight. :spit:
Though for a tournament as prestigious and big as Wimbledon, you would think that there would be better treatment for players.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
wimbledon makes HUGE money from the players, and indeed, there isnt wimbledon without the players...respect please

all GS get a fortune every year and its because of players play there

·
Your visions will happen
47,119 Posts
Ridiculous stuff.

Rooting for Dancevic now

1 - 20 of 62 Posts