Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
I'm not sure. If this were true Federer probably would have considered retirement back in 2016 when he was 35, having so many physical issues, hadn't won a Slam in years and it looked like his records were safe from Nadal who was in an equally bad state. I guess you could say he was scared of Djoker at the time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thing is, without the other two, they'd be at 30 slams. A borefest in terms of competition. Even though they all don't want to face one another in GS finals, what makes them wake up in the morning to train hard at this point is the other two.
OTOH, the prospect of putting up a real unbeatable record could be as alluring an incentive as they come.
It'd be something unheard of, a ten year period where the level difference between the top dog and the field would be like that of the early Federer domination years. I'm not trying to talk fed down, just point that the big 3 era is something ridiculous in terms of level week in week out from them. Safin was a beast but his perfect storm rarely showed up.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I think without Nadal and Djokovic, Federer would still play on to feast on every slam. Either way he plays on till 43 yrs old.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Fed makes 50 million big ones every year on endorsements alone.

If he retires, what will he do? He'll get bored sitting at home all day looking at Mirka even though she is a beautiful woman.

Is he ALSO playing to save his records? Maybe. As if dull and DJ aren't.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Dude tennis is a lot of fun. Anyone who actually plays it, knows this.

Hitting a dropshot on the T. Hitting a good overhead. Hitting a forehand winner, lobbing your opponent. It all makes the game as good as it is.

Imagine doing all of this and being in the top 10 and getting to travel the world?

Why would you ever want to quit this? Minus a career threatening injury?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Strange comments by Roig, to speak for Federer is out of his lane. Luthi would never say anything publicly to undermine Rafa or Djokovic.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts