Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brilliant stuff. Just amazing work from Tiafoe in the past 3 weeks and well deserved. Congrats Frances!

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Frances Tiafoe wins the USTA French Open Wildcard

The 17-year-old was #816 at the start of April, but since then he's made the QFs in Sarasota (after qualifying in), the SFs in Savannah, and the F in Tallahassee (he plays Arguello tomorrow for the title). He's currently #293 in the live rankings, and would rise to around #256 if he wins tomorrow. He's #128 in the race (#103 if he wins tomorrow).

Welcome to the big time, Frances! Really looking forward to seeing him at Roland Garros.

Meanwhile, somebody's already been at work on his Wikipedia entry...

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Re: Frances Tiafoe wins the USTA French Open Wildcard

Perhaps the most insane run that I've ever seen. I can promise you that no one will ever get the USTA French Open Wildcard with a lower starting ranking than Tiafoe (Tiafoe was #519 at the start of Sarasota).

Just three weeks ago Tiafoe was looking at a brutal qualifying draw in Sarasota with the intention of trying to also qualify into Savannah and Tallahassee. He saved match points in his first round qualifying match against Alex Kuznetsov in Savannah, beat Rhyne Williams and Collarini in three sets in QR2 and QR3, and then went on a run from there to earn SEs into Savannah and Tallahassee where he kept finishing even better.

Just insane.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
Congrats to him and yes he deserved it even though I would've liked to see Chung in more. But maybe he can qualify

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Congrats to him and yes he deserved it even though I would've liked to see Chung in more. But maybe he can qualify
Chung is already in the top 90. He will be in the MD for sure.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Just insane. Dude is about 4 years younger than me, which makes it even more freaky. Hope he gets a kind draw and can win a round or 2. Looking forward to him being an ATP mainstay for many years. On clay (well, kinda) no less. :bigclap: :worship:

·
Registered
19,278 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Just insane. Dude is about 4 years younger than me, which makes it even more freaky. Hope he gets a kind draw and can win a round or 2. Looking forward to him being an ATP mainstay for many years. On clay (well, kinda) no less. :bigclap: :worship:
I always like the thread on here every year about who you would hope to draw at Roland Garros. There will be a few players in there that Tiafoe could beat, but like you said it will all come down to the draw.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Deserves it for the great start to the year. Good for the game.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I loved the interview he gave in the broadcast booth during the end of the Donaldson-Arguello match.

Some bits:

* He was planning to go back to Futures after this stretch, but now he has to completely re-plan his schedule.
* He hadn't really been thinking about how close he was to the RG main draw. "I'm still young - it's not like I'm desperate." Trying to focus on his own matches and playing well.
* Gave a shout-out to the awesome crowds. Said there must have been "400 or 500 people!" To which I say, dude, wait until you get to Roland Garros. :D
* Engaged in a Chipotle love-in with the commentator. Seriously, Chipotle should just sponsor the entire US squad at this point. Get Tiafoe/Harrison/Sock/etc. to do some commercials together.
* After the interview, decided to hang around and finish watching the match from the broadcast booth because it was a good view. :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am SO happy for Frances. He really did deserve it with the high quality players he had to face throughout the US clay swing. I think he has proved that he can play long, tough matches and think he can make some noise at the French Open! Frances will definitely win AT LEAST one major! Go Frances!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I always like the thread on here every year about who you would hope to draw at Roland Garros. There will be a few players in there that Tiafoe could beat, but like you said it will all come down to the draw.
What Gulbis, haha. If he gets Ernie he might as well look forward to a 2nd round :lol:

·
Registered
520 Posts
17yo season Grand Slam MD

G 1998 Frances Tiafoe - Roland Garros WC 2015
G 1997 ----------- 2014
G 1996 ----------- 2013
G 1995 ----------- 2012
G 1994 ----------- 2011
G 1993 ----------- 2010
G 1992 Bernard Tomic - Australian Open WC 2009
G 1991 ----------- 2008
G 1990 ----------- 2007
G 1989 Donald Young - US Open WC 2006
G 1988 ----------- 2005
G 1987 ----------- 2004
G 1986 Richard Gasquet - Roland Garros WC 2003. Rafael Nadal - Wimbledon 2003, US Open 2003
G 1985 ----------- 2002
G 1984 ----------- 2001
G 1983 ----------- 2000
G 1982 ----------- 1999
G 1981 Lleyton Hewitt - Australian Open WC 1998. Taylor Dent US Open WC 1998
G 1980 ----------- 1997

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Looks like something special is coming.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts