Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you think playing Americans at clay is good choice?

• Yes

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 26.1%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
so it's the neutral venue in Monaco
the Monte-Carlo country club is on French territory, it's not on Monaco territory, I know it's strange but it's true ;)

yes I think it's a good choice, as it will be cold and slow, and it's not good for the Americans, and Gasquet always plays very well in that place

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
To be honest the French are better on hard courts than clay...this could be a mistake.

·
Your visions will happen
50,880 Posts
It is possible Isner can beat both Monfils and Gasquet. Not out of the question, especially since Isner is mentally stronger than those two.

It may come down to Bryan/Bryan vs. Benneteau/Llodra.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
No, it was not a good choice. France is a favorite on any surface, so it might not matter. Still, choosing clay just based on the fact that it is historically a weak surface for Americans is not the correct decision based on the two teams' lineups this year. I agree with the OP that a hard court with a low bounce would have been the perfect choice for France.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think indoor HC would be best choice, Tsonga is best there, we can agree that nobody besides Isner can beat at best of 5 from current US players Tsonga. Even Isner with some chances, really can´t imagine him take down at best of 5 Tsonga in FRA. Simply Tsonga is guy who needs crowd and at home with crowd support i think Tsonga would be big favorit even against big serving Isner. Than we have Monfils, who can beat any US players including ISner, he can play like Melzer, stand few metres behind baseline- what he is used to and just get everything in play and with his deffense, speed, pretty good serve by himself i really can´t see him loosing at best of 5 to John too. Don´t even mentioning Llodra who at fast indoor HC can beat anybody besides Isner too. I just think FRA chances indoors HC would be much higher than clay with somebody injured, at clay if Gasquet or Monfils will be injured FRA has no chance

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
No, it was not a good choice. France is a favorite on any surface, so it might not matter. Still, choosing clay just based on the fact that it is historically a weak surface for Americans is not the correct decision based on the two teams' lineups this year. I agree with the OP that a hard court with a low bounce would have been the perfect choice for France.
France should play Mahut just for grins and giggles.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
outdoors, on Monte-Carlo's surface (one of the slowest cclaycourts) and especially with the coldness, Isner's serve won't be as effective,

and Fish will not be as effective as against Switzerland.

Moreover I don't expect the Americans to be as good as they were in first round, they just arrived in great form for that week-end, and this time it will be after the important MS1000 tournaments in the US.

Usually Americans don't even come to Monte-Carlo tournament, I remember only one American who came and succeeded a few years ago : Querrey.

Moreover, Monte-Carlo has always been a place where Gasquet feels hugely confident, his dream tournament from the start of his carreer.

·
Registered
14,671 Posts
4-1 France

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
If ends up being Tsonga verses Isner on clay, it's dumb. But Gasquet and Monfils are good on clay, and none of the other American are really. Llodra/Benneteau are better on fast surfaces, but so are the Bryans I think, so who knows about doubles.

·
Registered
60,601 Posts
Monfils, Gasquet and Benneteau will be fine with this. But for Llodra, Simon and Tsonga's (the #1!!!) sake it's a bad idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts