Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
No player in the world could have won against Cilic playing like that. Might have been the highest peak ever.
Cilic's USO run has got to be the most overrated run of all time. All respect to his fans, he's still a great, slam deserving player, but after that 5-setter against Gilles 5imon, he just played washed up opponents.
Berdych was already on pre-retirement mode, Federer was washed up after that Monfils match, and Nishikori was super washed up after that Djokovic match.
Just watch their matches, just puff balls towards Cilic's forehand. It takes two to have a dance, and all those guys made Cilic look really good.

For high peak, Stanimal's at RG final vs Djokovic is much more impressive, though, once again, washed up Djokovic after two day 5-setter against Murray made him look good as well.

Monfils was really in form that time, and fresh vs Cilic, maybe would be something closer to 50-50, but I would still have my money on the french.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Tsonga is clearly better than the other 3 but they all had limitations in their games. Tsonga has a weak backhand and bad ROS. Monfils is way too defensive and needs too much time to hit his shots which is why he sucks on fast courts. His mentality is also bad as he just isn’t consistent enough mentally wise to win the big titles. Gasquet’s forehand is cheeks and his ground strokes in general are too loopy and are easily attackable along with the fact that he bends over hard. Simon has no weapons and you need weapons to win big titles.
He's actually relatively solid on fast courts. 6 of his 9 titles have come on indoor hard and many of his gazillion finals losses including 2 of his three masters losses have come indoor.

·
Registered
861 Posts
He's actually relatively solid on fast courts. 6 of his 9 titles have come on indoor hard and many of his gazillion finals losses including 2 of his three masters losses have come indoor.
Competition there probably wasn’t spectacular but I don’t entirely remember. Just his lack of success at Wimbledon compared to the other slams caught my eye.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Jo Wilfried Tsonga is not a choker like the other players of the lot, he has big self belief, backhand and return just not good enough to win a slam. Last player to win a slam with a weak backhand was probably Andy Roddick 16.5 years ago.
wrong the last player top Win a Slam with a weak backhand was Federer 2 years ago at the AO

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Interesting thread and interesting stats to be read.
It is truth that this generation should at least have won a GS, but the French press has been harsh with them too as they all are from the same gen as the big 3 or big 4. I can understand the disappointment but they did what they could. Tsonga has been injured a lot too, and Monfils has always been a clown, he does not even have a Masters1000. Gasquet has the most beautiful game of all of them, but has always lacked some power and a few other things. As for Simon (nothing against him), he has reached a lot, with his pushing style, he is probably one of the most boring guy to watch on the tour.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
he does not even have a Masters 1000.
He has 3 masters finals appearances, losses to Djokovic (by a three set tiebreak), Nadal (on clay) and Soderling (in 2010 when he was at his peak). I know it doesn't change what you said, but it paints a fairer picture. And yes Tsonga has been injured a lot, but so has Monfils and Gasquet. I don't get why injuries get mentioned for some and ignored for others. Not that it would have made a difference either way.

·
F***ing have it
17,466 Posts
Jo Wilfried Tsonga is not a choker like the other players of the lot, he has big self belief, backhand and return just not good enough to win a slam. Last player to win a slam with a weak backhand was probably Andy Roddick 16.5 years ago.
And Roddick won because of the USTA scheduling help

·
Registered
21,144 Posts
Seems like it was just yesterday when France had all the top young guys with Monfils, Simon, Tsonga, Gasquet. Cant believe they are now 32-35. Maybe not as strong as when US had Sampras, Courier, Agassi, Chang, but I thought they would be contenders for many years. Was it the big 3 that stop them from being great? Over hyped?
Well, it clearly wasn't the top 3. All of these players were and are losing mostly to other players.

Richard Gasquet is by far the most talented out of the lot. It's a shame how his career transpired.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
He has 3 masters finals appearances, losses to Djokovic (by a three set tiebreak), Nadal (on clay) and Soderling (in 2010 when he was at his peak). I know it doesn't change what you said, but it paints a fairer picture. And yes Tsonga has been injured a lot, but so has Monfils and Gasquet. I don't get why injuries get mentioned for some and ignored for others. Not that it would have made a difference either way.
Yes indeed, the 3 were injured, but in the case of Tsonga, almost everyone forgot that he had a very long injury at the start of his career (he almost missed 2 years), that's probably why I did not mention the injuries of Gaël and Richard. Note that Richard also lost 3 Masters 1000 finals. So in the case of Monfils and Gasquet, I think in some ways they underachieved, mostly for Gaël, as he had more power to rival with the big 4.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts