Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Watching his peers Nadovic rack up titIes & contemporary Fed stiI competing has got to b tough for his morale. WouIdn't even mind Novak skipping WB to arrive at USO20 in better form than USO19 to increase chances at a potentiaI record 12 HC majors whiIe heIping Murray go deep at WB.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Poor Andy I know how much he loves playing tennis, but I'm afraid it is just too much for his body to hold up.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Guess what could well happen now is what we assumed last January....he'll play one more Wimbledon and then likely call it quits shortly afterwards.

As much as I'd love to see him going deep in slams again it simply isn't worth it if you're in a wheelchair in 10 years time. He's a smart guy so imagine he's heeding this warning his body is already giving him.

Just hope he's actually healthy enough for singles when Wimbledon rolls round. Won't have huge amount of serious match practice under his belt as no way he'd risk starting again on clay.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Thats poor news but it was good seeing him play Antwerp. Looked pretty good for what I had expected after reading about hip things here.

·
Your visions will happen
46,701 Posts
One last Wimbledon and call it a day, Andy. You have a family, you have the money, your legacy is secured forever already. There is no need to do this

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
One last Wimbledon and call it a day, Andy. You have a family, you have the money, your legacy is secured forever already. There is no need to do this
I think aswell this time last year he simply wasn't ready to give up. He only really wanted to call it a day from December onwards and so he was still processing that new direction when he play AO. Even with a body in a wreckage he pushed RBA to 5 sets so that also showed him the competitive nature he still had.

Back end of last year he played a few tournaments and of course won a title. I think he'll be more at peace mentally if he can have one more deep slam run, obviously at Wimbledon.

See what rest of year brings and how often he can get on court but think he'll be gone for good this time next year. He's proved me wrong many times before though.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
The problem here is that he is still young and the other big3 are still on top. If they were on the way down it would be less painfull not to return.
Like i said in another thread last year. He is doing more damage then good. I know hes competive and all but there has to be someone in his corner to tell him its time.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I think it's wise to delay his return... why would he waste his limited wildcards and protective ranking for such a small tournaments?

He might as well wait for few weeks and have a late training block and come back with 100% fitness...

·
Registered
475 Posts

Like what I have said above Andy is just being extra careful on returning and those tournies are considerably small in terms of ranking points.
This is great news, in case Bob Bryan really knows what he's talking about here. And why shouldn't he really, as he seems to have some inside information on Andy's condition and the nature of the injuries. So I expect he's been talking with Andy quite a lot up until recently, not only before and after the hip surgery.

The diffetence between the two, Bob and Andy, naturally is that a doubles player really doesn't need to be nearly as sharp fitness wise as a singles player. So if Bob here is just mainly giving his opinions based on his own experience, he might go slightly (or even massively) wrong with his analysis. But he should know the difference really, as experienced as he is, so I don't think his opinions are pure nonsense in relation to Andy.

This was exactly what I needed to see right now, as this is giving all of us Andy fans (as well as other tennis fans, I expect, since who wouldn't like to see all members of Big 4, if such a thing exists - I'm well aware of the debate around it, play each other once again) a lot of hope.

And hopefully it's not going to be just one more Wimbledon, if you ask me.

If it has to be that way, then be it, but oh how much I'd enjoy seeing the Scot doing what he loves doing so much for let's say two more years. His fitness and body allowing naturally, not risking his health or active future life (outside pro tennis) by any means.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Reading the whole BBC Sports article (posted above) again, I do have to admit I have some doubts as to how much Bob really knows about Andy's situation as it is right now, and how much of it all is just the outcome of BBC being so eager to publish some 'inside news' on Andy at this stage, as he himself won't be talking to the press about where he's at and no-one really knows for sure what's going on.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Bob does indeed know something we don't know, and is being realistic in his statements. Also, I hope these are indeed up to date statements, and not something that has been said weeks or months ago and only now published as 'news' by BBC.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't mean to be insensitive or rude, but didn't he announce his retirement years ago...what happened to that???...there is honestly no point of continuing when he will never get back to his "normal level"...he joins a long list of players that should retire...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I don't mean to be insensitive or rude, but didn't he announce his retirement years ago...what happened to that???...there is honestly no point of continuing when he will never get back to his "normal level"...he joins a long list of players that should retire...
you are not insensitive nor rude... just ignorant lol

he never have said he was retiring... what he said was 'he might not play tennis ever again after his hip surgery'. so?

·
Registered
98 Posts
you are not insensitive nor rude... just ignorant lol

he never have said he was retiring... what he said was 'he might not play tennis ever again after his hip surgery'. so?
I could have swore he announced retirement a year ago...

·
Registered
475 Posts
I could have swore he announced retirement a year ago...
It was more like the press/media and the AO organisers made it into this huge retirement announcement thing, I don't think Andy meant it that way himself. He was just very tired of the constant pain he had been in for almost two years by then and knew he couldn't continue that way, something needed to change. Should it be the hip surgery (like it eventually was), there would be no guarantees of ever being able to play again at a competitive level.

The above was what Andy said, I didn't hear a retirement announcement.

This comes up practically in every single thread related to Andy's hip surgery, injuries, possible retirement in the future etc.
And I do understand it: if you were just looking at what the media made out of it at the time, that's what you would think it was all about.

My advice: don't always believe what the media is trying to feed you without checking the facts.

·
Registered
475 Posts
No worries, I don't find you insensitive or rude either. Maybe you just haven't been following things as closely as some of us others here.

There's this thing called love for the sport, which keeps you going, even if it was not always the wisest thing to do. Then, once you are pain free, it may even be the wisest thing in your whole life to continue with the sport you love so much - even if you'll never reach the level you've previously done.

Wouldn't you agree at all?

·
Registered
98 Posts
No worries, I don't find you insensitive or rude either. Maybe you just haven't been following things as closely as some of us others here.

There's this thing called love for the sport, which keeps you going, even if it was not always the wisest thing to do. Then, once you are pain free, it may even be the wisest thing in your whole life to continue with the sport you love so much - even if you'll never reach the level you've previously done.

I don't know if I would agree tbh...he's plagued with injuries now and has made many runs in any tournaments...i guess he is having low level moderate success in some degree, but he hasn't played a slam since in awhile which tells me he is in no state to compete....i think it's probably wise for him to take very long absence in order for him to get his level back...and if he can't...maybe it's time to call it a career...of course, i'm not an athlete, so ...how would i know???...but for people like him, Venus, Azarenka, Sharapova...i see no reason to stick around..

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am sure he is happy with his family, but from a PoV of a champion, it must hurt a lot. In your best years you were facing arguably 3 best players of all time for any title, and once you climbed that elusive No.1 spot, you get injured. I sencerely hope that all of this isn't affecting his mood and private life and that it isn't depressing him, because objectively, he had an awesome career. Yet, these guys have an insatiable hunger and love for their sport...
I agree completely with you. I do think Andy is a balanced person - he was one asked if losing the Wimbledon final would ruin his Summer, and he said that would be stupid. I think he will be extremely disappointed, but I reckon he's the sort of person who knows how to count his blessings.

·
Registered
612 Posts

I agree. I think he wanted to give it one more shout before retiring. He wanted to be certain. He probably is the sort of person to think it's better to try and fail than always wonder what if....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good. ATP can do without his woke politically-correct yet ignorantly-incorrect feminist jabbering. Retire already.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts