Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Also per Stuart Fraser on Twitter. Sad news, hope it is not related to the hip implant.

·
Registered
475 Posts
This is starting to look a bit worrying, even to me.

Everything was going so well for a while for Andy and now he's apparently facing some more serious problems than I ever thought he would be at this stage.

I wonder if he went on to train too much during the off season, just couldn't hold it back even though he was not in the best of condition even at the start of the off season.

They usually say that the first six months after a major hip surgery will tell you a lot about how succesfull the full recovery will be. And there we had Andy playing some amazing tennis again last Autumn, a bit over six months after his surgery. It truly was amazing tennis considering all that he went through earlier, and had not only us true Andy fans, but I feel a huge amount of the tennis fans in general, extremely happy about the results he achieved after the darker times.

I've managed to stay positive so far and trusted that any minor issues there are, Andy will come through those. Now I can only hope that I had a real reson to stay positive all the time and all that's going on right now is just precaution to not disrupt the still on-going recovery process.

After so much hope for better things to come his way eventually after years of struggle, this just doesn't feel fair for Andy.
So I'm kind of closing my eyes from this for a while and trust that there will be better things ahead waiting for him.

Even if the worst case scenario will materialise, there's still so many things in life to enjoy, even tennis-wise, than just playing top level tennis all year round.

Taking care of his body in the best ways available is now the best thing Andy can do, and us fans we will just have to wait a little longer for the season to start for him.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thank god we have some very interesting prospects in the tennis world at the moment, so I won't have far too much time to worry about Andy's situation.

I'm not a morning person at all, but already awake here in Finland, as I'm watching our Emil to hopefully get through to the AO MD through the qualies (1st set of didn't go quite as planned, but things are looking better now).

While nothing really compares to having my all time favourite back on competitive courts, I can at least enjoy watching a bunch of these youngsters fighting it out on court.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The documentary on amazon really made Andy look kind of insane to still be playing tennis. Like Jesus christ just give it a rest. Also the Swiss doctor who said it can be life threatening. The further on it drags the more depressing it gets.

By now I think everyone can say that he has given this comeback his all, but when the body says no, you should listen to it

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
wish him speedy recovery, poor him, was still no.1 before all these injuries came to him

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Better not expect anything. As the article says, it is uncharted territory for a player to return to singles competition after such an operation.

The almost miraculous result at the end of last year doesn't mean Andy's hip is now as good as new.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I am sure he is happy with his family, but from a PoV of a champion, it must hurt a lot. In your best years you were facing arguably 3 best players of all time for any title, and once you climbed that elusive No.1 spot, you get injured. I sencerely hope that all of this isn't affecting his mood and private life and that it isn't depressing him, because objectively, he had an awesome career. Yet, these guys have an insatiable hunger and love for their sport...

·
Premium Member
21,016 Posts
At this point it seems he's risking his long term health just to get few slam wins or a 250/500 at best, no way should he even think of grind out 5-setters anymore, better switch to doubles or call it a day.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Any details on what happened? If I had to guess, I'd say he overstressed his poor body in the off season, trying to go back to his slam winning form.
I just wish him a full recovery. The rest is really secondary.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Any details on what happened?
If I had to guess, I'd say he overstressed his poor body in the off season, trying to go back to his slam winning form.
I just wish him a full recovery. The rest is really secondary.
I'm also interested in any further details on what's actually going on here. So please do keep the information coming, should you have any.

However, knowing Andy, he's not very likely to reveal a lot about the situation before he knows for sure what he's eventually going to do.

Just like it was before his major surgery: none of us really knew how low he had been at times, considering giving it all up, before he finally revealed it all at AO last year. Due to keeping it all inside him I feel it came out in a bit more dramatic manner than intended.

So hopefully no more such drama this year, I'd just love too see happier scenes this time. But I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for any more detailed revelations on Andy's condition.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Unfortunately "bone bruising in the pelvic area" is not a common thing to keep you out of play for several months. Not being a doctor this is pure speculation from my side, but the impression is that Murray's current problems are related to the hip surgery, in one way or another. As of now, I only wish that he can avoid long term health problems. Seeing him back on court playing at a high level would be a huge bonus, but it is nothing I expect.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts