Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

justice for all
Discussion Starter #1
And the Italian kid continues his march towards future greatness.

As @Maranza noticed this is 4th Top 100 scalp for Musetti in the span of 2 weeks. o_O

If you are not on the bandwagon yet - time to jump on it now.

@Mateya Can we officially treat this match as passing of the torch?

Caruso or Harris next! 馃挭

Registered
1 match away from Top150, not bad considering he was outside the top 250 at the start of the month :p

Let's not get too carried away though! Lorenzo played good, but Sexpi was nowhere near his best, would love to see him against some more in-form players, would be better for his experience too.

One thing I'd like to see improve in his game is his return position on 2nd serves, he spent the whole match returning from the stands, which did him no good imho, ended up on the backfoot more often than not

Musseti to reach higher than Sinner would be a nice bet. Not saying happen but be good odds and possible.

Is he not doing RG? Disappointing

Registered
1 match away from Top150, not bad considering he was outside the top 250 at the start of the month :p

Let's not get too carried away though! Lorenzo played good, but Sexpi was nowhere near his best, would love to see him against some more in-form players, would be better for his experience too.

One thing I'd like to see improve in his game is his return position on 2nd serves, he spent the whole match returning from the stands, which did him no good imho, ended up on the backfoot more often than not
That works pretty well for Nadal, Thiem & Medvedev

Registered
That works pretty well for Nadal, Thiem & Medvedev
Fully agree on Nadal, but he is a freak athlete with unique speed and stamina. Ok it kinda works with the other ones too, but I am always left wondering if it wouldn't be better if they had learned to return well from the baseline. Like, it feels it's just a suboptimal strategy. I admit that I just find it an eyesore and might be biased against this approach :p

I stand by my point that as things are it doesn't seem to do Musetti any good though

Registered
Fully agree on Nadal, but he is a freak athlete with unique speed and stamina. Ok it kinda works with the other ones too, but I am always left wondering if it wouldn't be better if they had learned to return well from the baseline. Like, it feels it's just a suboptimal strategy. I admit that I just find it an eyesore and might be biased against this approach :p

I stand by my point that as things are it doesn't seem to do Musetti any good though
It depends on the strengths of your game. I probably haven't seen enough Musetti matches to comment, with Thiem he's tried to return close to the baseline in the past & made too many return errors; his optimal strategy is to retreat & get the ball deep; he knows he'll beat 99% of players once the rally is neutral. Unless Musetti has an excellent chip return like Federer it can be difficult to return close to the baseline as a one hander.

Reactions: Maranza

Registered
Strategic tank from Sexpi before travelling to Rolamd Garros and roasting Nadal in 4th round. 馃槈馃挭馃挭馃憤

1 - 9 of 9 Posts