Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wimbledon champion 1987. Master volleyer. Innovated the celebration of a Grand Slam champ going to his box and hugging his team/family, now almost always copied. 6 career singles titles. Coached Kiki Vandeweghe and now Brandon Nakashima. Davis Cup hero.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
|
15,325 Posts
Pat Cash is the most entertaining pre-2000 player I've ever seen.
He had Nadal-type athleticism and footwork.
When Nadal dominated the net in the 5th Set of 2019 US Open Final, I was thinking how similar he looked to Pat Cash.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw Cash hitting with Nakashima in Feb in Delray when the 18 yr old burst all the way to the QF in his first ATP main draw, lost to Nishioka. Cashy is hobbled with a very stiff back but boy were his volleys crisp and sharp even now at over 50. Imagine how awesome it would have been to see him practicing those volleys in his prime. He was emphasizing Nakashima with volley drills, forcing him to come in and coaching him with minute tips on. Wonderful coaching to witness. Nakashima is in good hands with Cashy.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's not forgotten, he keeps waffling on from the commentary box, mostly against Federer for some reason.
nobody is allowed to criticize or judge Federer?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sad he got injured so much. One of the players from the 80's who would have benefitted the most from modern shoe-sole technogies with his style of jumping around at the net.

At his best, he was as good as Lendl and Wilander during their peak years.
H2H:
Ivan Lendl 3-5
Mats Wilander 5-4

Great style. Sad that his serve-volley style is gone.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Pat Cash is overrated imo, yes he won Wimbledon, but he only won 6 titles total. He is not a "great" but winning Wimbledon still counts for something of course.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Serve and volley style is not gone and it's not extinct it's just that nobody can do well enough to succeed anymore. Maxime Cressy is trying and progressing. Sergey Stakhovskiy is just about done though. Not sure who else does it.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pat Cash is overrated imo, yes he won Wimbledon, but he only won 6 titles total. He is not a "great" but winning Wimbledon still counts for something of course.
No way can anyone call a Wimbledon champion overrated. Please don't ever say that again.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
No way can anyone call a Wimbledon champion overrated. Please don't ever say that again.
its a fair position to have, but of all Wimbledon champions, Pat Cash was the worst player overall, certainly in the open era, he is a remembered figure and thus is not underrated at all. Somebody like Krajicek is much more underrated.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pat Cash is a Wimbledon champion. Why anyone would try to nitpick at who was the worst or best or least talented Wimbledon champion is a silly futile effort which accomplishes nothing. Just appreciate the fact that Pat Cash is a Wimbledon champion. And how many millions or billions of tennis players wish they could experience that rare special distinction and honor.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
6,600 Posts
Pat Cash is a Wimbledon champion. Why anyone would try to nitpick at who was the worst or best or least talented Wimbledon champion is a silly futile effort which accomplishes nothing. Just appreciate the fact that Pat Cash is a Wimbledon champion. And how many millions or billions of tennis players wish they could experience that rare special distinction and honor.
Exactly.
A Wimbledon title is something every player dreams of.
He also made another 2 AO finals, but lost them both to Swedes Edberg and Wilander respectively.
That, and his Davis Cup heroics, ensure he won't be forgotten.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Cash got really unlucky with injuries. Basically injured from 1988, when he was just 23. It's a real shame, I agree he's great to watch!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
That one slam hack is neither "forgotten" nor "great"

Reactions: swissmaestro92

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cash got really unlucky with injuries. Basically injured from 1988, when he was just 23. It's a real shame, I agree he's great to watch!
Brian Baker and Christian Harrison both had about ten surgeries before the age of 30.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another great player's career which was destroyed by injury...

KENT CARLSSON
Most adept on the clay surface, the fleet-footed, grunting Swede with the heavy top spin, won all nine of his ATP singles titles on red clay. But five knee surgeries halted his promising career in 1990 at just 22. After a stint as a successful coach for several ATP players, Carlsson then shifted to work as a horse trainer for trotting races, a popular sport in Sweden.

Reactions: PamShriver

·
Registered
762 Posts
That is because he never took the tour seriously.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I remember when he won Wimbledon. I was very happy for him. I really liked his style. One of the best volley ever in the history of the game. It was much more fun to watch Wimbledon when I grew up than now. I miss this kind of players.
And yes 6 titles is indeed not much but the guy was plagued with so many injuries.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it's unfair to focus on Cash's lack of titles as he pretty much only played 3 full years on the tour: 1984, 1987, 1988. After Cash made the semis of Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in 1984 at 19 years old, he was basically out of the game for all of 1985 and didn't show up again until Wimbledon 1986 where he made the QF as a WC I think. He had two solid years in 1987 and 1988 and the was pretty much it. There WAS never a point in his entire career when he didn't have to take off substantial periods of time for injury and that included when he was coming up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts