Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These stats were featured in a recent Tennis Magazine article about Federer's forehand. I found them interesting ... apologies if they have already been posted.

Forehand Spin Rates........Range............................ Average

Rafael Nadal....................... 1800-4900 r.p.m. .........3200 r.p.m.

Roger Federer.................... 1400-4500 r.p.m. ..........2700 r.p.m.

Andy Roddick..................... 1400-4200 r.p.m. ..........2700 r.p.m.

Marat Safin.......................... 900-3300 r.p.m. ..........2200 r.p.m.

Lleyton Hewitt.................... 1300-3700 r.p.m. ..........2200 r.p.m.

Andre Agassi........................ 1200-3300 r.p.m. .........1900 r.p.m.

Pete Sampras...................... 1000-3400 r.p.m. .........1800 r.p.m.

·
This space for rent.
612 Posts
Not particularly on topic but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the highest spin rate in tennis would be found in the second serve and not during rallies.

On topic. Did the article mention anything about speed as it relates to spin? IOW, roughly how much one affects the other.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
These stats were featured in a recent Tennis Magazine article about Federer's forehand. I found them interesting ... apologies if they have already been posted.

Nadal No 1 on your list, Are you sure

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not particularly on topic but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the highest spin rate in tennis would be found in the second serve and not during rallies.

On topic. Did the article mention anything about speed as it relates to spin? IOW, roughly how much one affects the other.
Unfortunately it didn't say much specifically about that. These stats were in a small box in the corner of the page, and there was no further discussion of them.

The article DID focus on Federer's grip (not a full semi-Western, as many people think, but more of a modified Eastern grip, half a bevel towards semi-Western); on his stance & torso rotation; on his extension (usually swinging far out in front of his body, the length of his swing towards the target exceeding that of most players, despite the deceptive follow-through around his torso); and his wiper finish.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I read the same article. sorta Interesting Roddick and Fed have same average rpm.

·
Registered
18,619 Posts
Gustavo Marcaccio....................... 2000-5200 r.p.m. .........3600 r.p.m. :worship:

·
Banned
2,741 Posts
Nadal's forehand has a lot of spin but his backhand is ridiculous.

·
Registered
976 Posts

Wow, you wouldn't think Roddick and Federer would get the same rotation on the ball with their forehands? Federer's is such a heavier shot, he must make up for it in speed alone.

·
Registered
70,026 Posts
I'm pretty surprised Llegs is on this list.

I don't think that these are the players with the most spin on tour period... probably just the more notable ones. I'm sure some of those lower ranked clay monsters really ramp it up. I assume they mean "a selection of 7 top players" rather than "the 7 top players."

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty surprised Llegs is on this list.

I don't think that these are the players with the most spin on tour period... probably just the more notable ones. I'm sure some of those lower ranked clay monsters really ramp it up. I assume they mean "a selection of 7 top players" rather than "the 7 top players."
The title's mine, and I did simply mean "7 notable players". :) But I would guess that Nadal could top this list even if all the players were considered.

·
Your visions will happen
49,954 Posts
The thing about Nadal is that not only does he have this insane spin, but he has pace too.

He can hit one of those forehands with 3500 rpm, but hit it as a 85 mph winner, and not just some random moonball

·
Registered
206 Posts
what is this "wiper finish"?

and it's interesting about Federer's grip. i've always found that eastern grips produce a fair bit more power than semi-western on a full-powered shoulder-high shot.

·
Your visions will happen
49,954 Posts
he has to hit them with pace otherwise he wouldnt be able to generate all that spin
You can hit a high spinning moonball :shrug:

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
You can hit a high spinning moonball :shrug:
Spin and pace do have a correlation though. Shots hit with the most spin will usually be quick as well. A slow defensive moonball you cannot hit at close to 5000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
If your arm speed is high and the ball travels slow after your shot, you either hit it with a lot of spin or missed it completely. If the ball travels faster with the same arm speed there is less spin.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts