Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Plays similar Tsitsipas/Shapovalov (strong all-court aggressive tennis, OBHB, good at the net, capable return game) but has a Raonic-sque serve if not deadlier. We have never seen such player since Sampras retired 18 years ago.

Shapovalov could have been such a player if he was 6ft4. Instead, he is a 1m83-1m85 player trying to play big-man tennis = fail.

Tsitsipas, OTOH, never has an elite serve and never really plays big-man tennis despite his height. Zverev, Cilic, Tsonga, and even Berdych have better serve than Tsitsipas. If anything he is too passive.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't prime Federer the perfect fit to your description?

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Marius Copil kinda fits this description but unfortunately he’s a pretty bad player.
Exactly, pretty good on fast surfaces and his serve is a rocket. I still remember that match against Wawrinka a few years ago at the AO when he went toe to toe with the swiss with 240+ kph serves. That was crazy but he does have a very poor mental. I think he is done now and apparently looks disinterested too.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Federer serve is great no doubt, but imagine Federer with Sampras/Becker/Krajicek/in-form Kyrgios serve?
Federer’s serve isn’t much worse than these players and he was already virtually going undefeated on fast surfaces at his peak, IMO he’s already the ultimate version of this sort of player, to have a better serve he would surely lose a bit of agility and netskills.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Also reading the OP again, there was Joachim Johansson who had a serve similar to Raonic, a deadly forehand, an average backhand (but could compensate with a pretty good slice), adequate net play, unfortunately a pretty poor mover and fairly bad return of serve but his game was one of the most aggressive from the baseline i have ever seen.

Injuries robbed him of a great career though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Plays similar Tsitsipas/Shapovalov (all-court aggressive tennis, OBHB, good at the net) but has a Raonic-sque serve if not deadlier. We have never seen such player since Sampras retired 18 years ago.

Shapovalov could have been such a player if he was 6ft4. Instead, he is a 1m83-1m85 player trying to play big-man tennis = fail.

Tsitsipas, OTOH, never has an elite serve and never really plays big-man tennis despite his height. Zverev, Cilic, Tsonga, and even Berdych have better serve than Tsitsipas. If anything he is too passive.
Sampras was 1.85 m. Shapovalov could play sampras tennis (he is 1.83, height is not his problem) and he has a better backhand.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Plays similar Tsitsipas/Shapovalov (all-court aggressive tennis, OBHB, good at the net) but has a Raonic-sque serve if not deadlier. We have never seen such player since Sampras retired 18 years ago.

I think I'm getting muddled up.

You say that such a player hasn't come along since Pete Sampras. Pete Sampras was 184cm (tops) and Denis Shapovalov is about the same height, yet you say he's too short to play big man tennis...

It seems to me like Boris Becker is the epitome of "big man tennis", is he not? 188cm (not over). You don't need to be 193cm Michael Stich to play such a style.

Roger Federer is 185cm.... all-court aggressive tennis, one handed backhand, good at the net, excellent serve, no?

If a requirement is a Milos Raonic level serve, too, then I would say that only Pete Sampras of that height ever had that sort of serve. People who say Roger Federer's serve is comparable are having a good laugh.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Good joke.

Roger Federer may have a serve comparable to Boris Becker, that's true. But his serve is not Pete Sampras level and it certainly is nowhere near Richard Krajicek. 😂 (y)
I rather have precision and consistency. Olderer serve alone won him atleast few wimbledons.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts