Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
401 - 420 of 440 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Barca had their chances in the first half, but Liverpool deserved to win and turn things around. I'm happy for them, because it looks like they won't become national champions.

Liverpool-Ajax final? I'll take it! I hope the Ajax players saw today's match. 1-0 is very tricky...

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Well good luck, WBA are a big club that i think should be playing PL, but i suppose the same thing can be said for Villa and Leeds as well. I said a few months back I wanted you guys up, not so sure now though, i don't mind any of them going up tbh, it would be good seeing Lampard back in the prem, same with JT and also if Leeds go up it renews some old rivalries between Chelsea and Utd especially. I don't think there's much in it, out of the 4 teams i'd maybe make Villa slight faves but any of the 4 can go up imo.

Unlike yourself i must say I'm pretty positive about my teams chances of going back up, not sure if that's a good thing or not though lol. We're in pretty good form and the new owners are spending big in the summer, out club captian among a few other regular starters got told that they need to find other clubs next season because we're replacing them with better players, not sure that's a smart thing to do with the playoffs approaching though, maybe tell them after, hopefully the mentallity from them is still there, or maybe knowing they're in the shop window they might pull out some performances and get us back up, who knows. we play the winners of ICY/Ayr. Ayr have been on a complete slump and ICT are very inconsistent, i'd fancy our chances against either tbh and if we win that then whoever finishes 2nd bottom of the prem, so either Hamilton or St Mirren. We knocked St Mirren out of the Scottish cup this season away from home so i think i'd rather get them.
At one point we were definitely a big club and still should be, though a distinct lack of ambition at board level is hampering us somewhat. I think the 1986-2002 wilderness years really cost us in this regard because we went from being a big team that nearly always challenged for cups and the higher echelons of the top flight in the 50s/60s/70s to the "little old Albion" that we are today. That said, I think if you ordered the entire football league in terms of meaning, history and club size I think ourselves, Villa and Leeds would all be top flight clubs, maybe Derby might squeeze in as well so I take your point about any team would add something to the Premier League should they win. Confirmed my tickets for the Villa home leg of the play-off today so looking forward to it now.

From what you say it would definitely be a good thing to get promoted. It sounds like you will be having a clear-out regardless of what division you find yourself in... better to do it at the higher level than the lower one. Additionally, you might find that you will attract better players at the higher level and your financial model will be more sustainable (regardless of how ambitious the owners are). I know the financial system in Scottish football is entirely different but the same principles apply. Yeah, that's certainly a high-risk strategy with regards to telling some of the key players they will be leaving - I guess it depends how in-demand they are. If not particularly then you would hope it would spur them on to put some good performances in and either win an attractive move or convince your hierarchy to keep them. If they are, it may be a bit more difficult. Also depends on their connection with the club, fans etc. You've always been seen as a top-flight club really, Championship is definitely below your level IMO so the sooner you're back up the better. I can see you've a good chance so good luck!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts

·
The special one
13,882 Posts
I thought you meant that Gary Caldwell had left there. I knew that they were interested in signing quite a few new players, especially experienced ones. We also need another goalkeeper so maybe another big name coming. I usually get updates on my phone about these, but I haven't read them today.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/signing-news-kenny-miller-is-a-jag/
Sorry my bad, I thought he'd taken a player/Manager role with Partick similar to when he was at Livi. I honestly thought he'd retire after his Dundee spell, he actually did alright for them but he's pushing 40 now, I think he's one of those guys that'll be forced into retirement as he can't stop playing. He's about 5-10 years past his prime, he could do alright for you guys though.

Anyway, how do you see next season going, hard league to predict imo.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Sorry my bad, I thought he'd taken a player/Manager role with Partick similar to when he was at Livi. I honestly thought he'd retire after his Dundee spell, he actually did alright for them but he's pushing 40 now, I think he's one of those guys that'll be forced into retirement as he can't stop playing. He's about 5-10 years past his prime, he could do alright for you guys though.

Anyway, how do you see next season going, hard league to predict imo.
He may be past his prime, but he's probably still better than most of our players. Davie Weir was someone who played better as he got older, due to the experience he had gained in his career.

As for the league, honestly who knows. Both Dundee teams, ICT, us, Ayr, Dunfermilne, Morton, etc. There is only one team I don't see as contenders and that is Arbroath. Anything could happen.

·
The special one
13,882 Posts
Super Frank back at Chelsea official now :bigclap:

As for the league, honestly who knows. Both Dundee teams, ICT, us, Ayr, Dunfermilne, Morton, etc. There is only one team I don't see as contenders and that is Arbroath. Anything could happen.
At the time of you posting this I would agree with this, although Shankland coming to Utd is a complete game changer, I would definitely make utd big favourites to win the championship now, especially if we improve defensively. If Shankland can bring the same form he had at Ayr and Clark is injury free season ( unlike last season) then I can see them getting 40+ goals between the pair of them.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
@Rob & Stephen

What's your opinion on Kenny Miller taking over.
I thought you meant that Gary Caldwell had left there. I knew that they were interested in signing quite a few new players, especially experienced ones. We also need another goalkeeper so maybe another big name coming. I usually get updates on my phone about these, but I haven't read them today.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/signing-news-kenny-miller-is-a-jag/
Well, Thistle are falling apart. Alan Rough and other directors chucked out. Rumours of a take over by a Chinese led group, but no new money. Now they've sacked Caldwell after another defeat and being bottom of the Championship.

401 - 420 of 440 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.