Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
When you think about it he pretty much reached his ceiling.He won a Masters Series title and has reached the Quarters of a slam + broken into the Top 10 (Best ranking 9)

He could go one step better and emulate Schwartzman in making the semi's of the French and maybe reach the Quarters of a different slam eg US OPEN/Australian.. but that's pretty much it.

He definitely doesn't belong at the World Tour Finals.Too flaky during the year and would be fodder against the Big guns on the indoor surface.

·
Registered
17,742 Posts
Reactions: enlightenedth

·
Registered
17,742 Posts
When you think about it he pretty much reached his ceiling.He won a Masters Series title and has reached the Quarters of a slam + broken into the Top 10 (Best ranking 9)

He could go one step better and emulate Schwartzman in making the semi's of the French and maybe reach the Quarters of a different slam eg US OPEN/Australian.. but that's pretty much it.

He definitely doesn't belong at the World Tour Finals.Too flaky during the year and would be fodder against the Big guns on the indoor surface.
So?

You say that like being one of the 4-5 best players in the world is like meh.

Fabio can still achieve the highest price in mens tennis. The absolute highest.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
He won a clay masters, rrroasting RAFA along the way. What more is there to accomplish?
How about winning a couple more clay Masters (e.g. Rome)?
Or reaching a slam semi?

Both would be doable with his talent, he just would need to be more consistent and avoid meltdowns.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
So?

What are you saying when you say one of the 4-5 best players and that he can achieve the 'highest price' in men's tennis?

You think he could be ranked top 5 and win a slam?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Or reaching a slam semi?

Both would be doable with his talent, he just would need to be more consistent and avoid meltdowns.
The guy is 33. If he were going to do that by now, he would have. He's wildly overrated just like Kyrgios is in other contexts.

Fabio is obviously a very good player with flashes of brilliant play which he can not sustain. He won't do what it would take to bring the rest of his his game up to the level it would need to be for the times when his more low percentage play isn't clicking. It's some of the same phenomenon as with Kyrgios: to really try and fail would make him admit the truth to himself.

Both he and Kyrgios are insecure guys who really, really don't want to try 110% and still not be good enough.

·
Registered
17,742 Posts
What are you saying when you say one of the 4-5 best players and that he can achieve the 'highest price' in men's tennis?

You think he could be ranked top 5 and win a slam?
Anything is possible for a top 10 player that is motivated.

Yes, Fognini could win a slam (RG), if everything goes his way and he plays his best tennis.

No time to be satisfied.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Anything is possible for a top 10 player that is motivated.

Yes, Fognini could win a slam (RG), if everything goes his way and he plays his best tennis.

No time to be satisfied.
Hmm...sounds like quite a reach to me. Any top player of course should aim for that but it would be fairly shocking. He has way too many moments where he plays poorly for stretches and he's not willing to do what it takes. 1 slam quarterfinal 10 years ago for a 33 year old like Fabio says a lot and what I have seen in his Italian interviews makes it sound like he still doesn't trust his body yet. One tough match and even if he wins, he will likely phone the following one in while doing that 'I don't really care' act.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Or reaching a slam semi?

So?

..No .. I don't.Typically enough you just chose to absorb what I posted to your usual standard interpretation.

Most people here will agree with the aforementioned.He's too erratic to go the full 2 weeks to win a slam and he's ticked off as many boxes that he can.He's coming up to 34 soon and like what Djoker said maybe win Rome or some other Masters Series and try to improve of a career high ranking of 9.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Possesses the cleanest strokes in ATP. IF he’s addressed his ADD issues & healthy, like Delpo but w/ different style, can take out the big 3 when motivated..

·
9,507 Posts
Nah he's done i reckon

·
Registered
17,742 Posts
..No .. I don't.Typically enough you just chose to absorb what I posted to your usual standard interpretation.

Most people here will agree with the aforementioned.He's too erratic to go the full 2 weeks to win a slam and he's ticked off as many boxes that he can.He's coming up to 34 soon and like what Djoker said maybe win Rome or some other Masters Series and try to improve of a career high ranking of 9.
I just think its weak to say of anyone, they pretty much reached their ceiling doe,.... No, no reason to say so.

It's such an unfulfilled, incomplete, satisfied statement, complete opposite to what sport is about.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
He's 34, he's over his peak.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Fognini is a great talent and underachiever, of course that he should strive for more. It's not yet too late.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts