Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Credit to the french, dragged another player to the win!!

Gasquet was doin s*it on Anderson's serve till almost the end of the 2nd were he couldn't covert about 4, one was a 15-40 iirc. Managed to get up 3*-0 in the tb, then gave one back, there was a controversial call on SP at 6-4 as Anderson hit a ball long that seemed long to umpire who overruled good but the rally had already ended with a Gasquet's point on an Anderson's missed volley. Richard managed to win the point that got replayed. Anderson got broken at 6-5* with a DF.

At 3*-4 in the 3rd set he had a 0-40 on his serve, won 4 pts in a row with a WTA serve, got also quite lucky in one as Anderson did't close an overhead and he lobbed him. I think he would have lost the match had Anderson took it.

Anderson serve was as excellent in the 4th as in the previous sets and Richard got massive confidence from the crowd, had the chances to break Anderson right at the beginning but it looked like a matter of minutes.

Atmosphere was great.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
RG R3: [20] R.Gasquet def. [15] K.Anderson 4-6 7-6(4) 7-5 6-4

Gasquet :yeah:.
Anderson :hug:

Is this the first time Gasquet has done well on PC?

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
RG R3: Gasquet def. Anderson 4-6 7-6 (4) 7-5 6-4

:woohoo: Bravo Richard, great to see him finally in sync with French crowds.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Gas to beat Jock

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Re: RG R3: Gasquet def. Anderson 4-6 7-6 (4) 7-5 6-4

Congrats Richie :yeah:

·
Super Moderator
8,828 Posts

Not that shameless like yesterday, but yes venue helped today. Kevin was on the right track until 2nd set's tiebreak, should have broken Richard at least once then. In the 3rd set Kevin lost his service game almost pathetically, did he shit in his pants? Wow, though not very rare such ue at key moments with Kevin. :eek:
This lost service game was practically the call. Fourth set was a Gasquet-show.

All in all I'm very happy with Kevin's week here. In before Rome I wouldn't have given a darn for him passing the first round, let alone the second one, but Rome and Federer made his game sharp again. Without this hell of a draw he would be even in the 2nd week, Richard was too good at the end here, so no shame (unless this service game in the 3rd).

Richard really surprised me. He's on a mission here, a mission called saving Nadal's Goat status in Paris. Nothing would surprise me here, could be a close match if Goatsquet appears against Djokovic.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts

Well, I think the match deservs also some comments, Anderson serving 72 % first serves throughout, most of them real bombs, it took Richard more than two sets to get a grip on the return, but with the confidence of the tiebreak won, he exposed Anderson's poor movement on clay more and more.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gasquet was strong mentally but to me his game his it's a bit less explosive, serve was actually worrying, bh winners yes he plenty but should have hit tons, instead way too many UEs you usually don't see from Gasquet.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts

Well, I think the match deservs also some comments, Anderson serving 72 % first serves throughout, most of them real bombs, it took Richard more than two sets to get a grip on the return, but with the confidence of the tiebreak won, he exposed Anderson's poor movement on clay more and more.
Was similar at the AO this year IIRC

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Anderson moved quite well today, declined towards the end. His volley too were pretty good for most of the match.
Was similar at the AO this year IIRC
Yes, I think if this was on fast HC again Richard would have struggled big time.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts

Never a bad thing when Anderson is prevented from stinking up the fourth round of a slam. That being said... Gasquet vs Big 3 matches are total nonevents, so it was hard to get invested in this one.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well, I think the match deservs also some comments
I've posted a short sum up in the other thread, mod can merge.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts

Anderson lost the match in the third set, at 0-40 on Gasquet's serve when he was leading 4-3, he had an easy volley that should have been a winner. Credit to Gasquet though, he never gave up.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts

Never a bad thing when Anderson is prevented from stinking up the fourth round of a slam. That being said... Gasquet vs Big 3 matches are total nonevents, so it was hard to get invested in this one.
Yep. It was nice for Gasquet and the crowd he won today but from what I saw of his play he is going to get his usual handful of games against Nole.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts