Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Sopot R2: Funky Flo Mayer destroys Patience 6-1 6-1 in a sea of dropshots

Florian peaking for his event it seems and the "gigolo" was just too classy.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Re: Sopot R2: Funky Flo Mayer destroys Patience 6-1 6-1 in a sea of dropshots

figures the guy who cannot win, wins in a way that is pretty convincing.

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Sopot R2: Funky Flo Mayer destroys Patience 6-1 6-1 in a sea of dropshots

i was faster. not fair using this topic.

·
yawn
10,517 Posts
Flo outplayed Patience completely and it seemed as if Olivier just didn't feel like fighting back :sad:

Mayer :worship:

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Who comes up with the silly OUTGUNS titles? Did he finish highschool? OUTGUNS suggests a player won a tight match. DESTROYS would have been more appropriate.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Mayer played a genius match, everything he did was perfect, he played about 10 dropshots and all of them were successful. Honestly, Patience had nothing to say, all he could do was to smile at Mayer's winners which he actually did, he even worshiped one of them :yeah:

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
what a surprise, bilbo using "outguns" in capital letters.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankingTheSet
Who comes up with the silly OUTGUNS titles? Did he finish highschool? OUTGUNS suggests a player won a tight match. DESTROYS would have been more appropriate.

How so? Please explain.
The word "outgun" reminds me of outmove, outdo which suggests a "tight" battle. But looking it up in the dictionary it seems outgun can mean "overwhelm with firepower", which means the title could be appropriate. Don't like it though. And I can imagine a Roddick or Karlovic win being described as "outguns", but Mayer... :)

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Mayer said: "It was one of my best matches. In 45 minutes I beat a guy who lost to Djokovic in five sets, so I feel really good. I'm not sure why I do so well here. One thing is that the balls don't fly as much."

Go Flo!!! :yeah:

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
The word "outgun" reminds me of outmove, outdo which suggests a "tight" battle. But looking it up in the dictionary it seems outgun can mean "overwhelm with firepower", which means the title could be appropriate. Don't like it though. And I can imagine a Roddick or Karlovic win being described as "outguns", but Mayer... :)
I think it's an appropriate word for a match with such a scoreline, though I agree it might be more fitting with ballbashers.

To me, all verbs in this league (outmove, outdo, outperform, outplay) don't indicate tightness of battle, but simply that one was better than the other at whatever they did.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Mayer said: "It was one of my best matches. In 45 minutes I beat a guy who lost to Djokovic in five sets, so I feel really good. I'm not sure why I do so well here. One thing is that the balls don't fly as much."

Yeah, Florian just plays great here. Hopefully it will be 3rd time lucky this year.

·
yawn
10,517 Posts

Mayer played very good but Olivier's game wasn't even near to what he showed in RG.
If he would have played like that he would have won...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts