Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:woohoo: Good to see Guga winning another match :D

:worship: Guga :worship:, we'll miss you :sad:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Re: Florianópolis 2 Challenger: Guga Kuerten (BRA) def. Carlos Salamanca (COL) 6-4 6-

Thank heavens for that. I thought he was going to go through his last few tournaments without winning a match and that would have been a real shame. Who knows, perhaps this will spark a run of form that will see Guga make an Ivanisevic-like run at the French this year? Either that, or he'll get thrashed in the next round.

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts
Re: Florianópolis 2 Challenger: Guga Kuerten (BRA) def. Carlos Salamanca (COL) 6-4 6-

Molto bene fatto, Guga. Good for you. :hatoff:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

Kuerten - Safin Roland Garros final looks to be a certainty.

·
Registered
388 Posts

Kuerten - Safin Roland Garros final looks to be a certainty.
I dunno, Verkerk seems to be playing pretty well at the moment. And you can never write off Andres Gomez.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

Thank heavens for that. I thought he was going to go through his last few tournaments without winning a match and that would have been a real shame. Who knows, perhaps this will spark a run of form that will see Guga make an Ivanisevic-like run at the French this year? Either that, or he'll get thrashed in the next round.
Hell no, he won't spark an Ivanisevic run because he won a match in a challenger. He has had serious hip problems and we need to appreciate that he won't be the same. I hope he can win one match though, that would be great.

·
Registered
12,577 Posts

Guga :worship:

·
Registered
23,711 Posts

:worship::worship::worship:

:woohoo:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

If Guga had a two-handed backhand he would still be playing for slams. Such a shame his lone arm wasn't strong enough for "the modern game."

·
Registered
3,389 Posts

If Guga had a two-handed backhand he would still be playing for slams. Such a shame his lone arm wasn't strong enough for "the modern game."
lol...

·
Registered
7,015 Posts

:rolleyes: Salamanca actually wants to play Kuertan is retiting soon how slack.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

I unfortunately watched that match. And no, Guga can't beat any top 100 player unless the opponent let him way. It's really sad seeing him like that. I think I can say he moves like Bjorn Borg or McEnroe right now (yea, now that they are 50). He is slow as hell, can't move well. The only good thing about him is the serve. Other than that he can't do anything. Sometimes his forehand is ok. Backhand is a shadow of what it once was.

Other than that, he said he can't play 3 sets. He said that if he had to play the 3rd yesterday he'd have lost the match, because he couldn't play anymore and had reached his limit.

Pretty sad. I wish he didn't play anymore :(. His problem is not about getting tired, is about dealing with pain.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Frickin' awesome. No idea who Salamanca is, but glad for the Kuerten win.

Here's hoping he can get through a few rounds at the French Open. However, as a couple of posters have already pointed out, this is looking increasingly like a pipe dream. Either way, he's provided some great memories.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

Well done Guga :worship:

Unfortunately it looks like he wont even be up to playing seniors events with this hip injury:sad:

·
Registered
18,865 Posts

Guga:hug::hug::hug: So happy for the win, keep it up man:)!! But be careful!!

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts

Seen Salamanca play before and he isn't all that bad...a good win for Guga imo. Well done! :bigclap:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts