Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember watching this match at the time and was just astounded at the level of Fed, who had his last renaissance before his decline started with the 2007 losses to Canas twice. Feds pure peak was 2003 Wimbledon - 2007AO. Anything afterward including 07 Wimbledon was declined Federer. He continued to do well at US Open but still got lucky vs Djokovic that year in the final, but that was more than returned in 2008 at the AO Semi Final rematch.

But watching this video, It is hard to ignore how abysmal Roddick played in this match. He was spraying returns and forehands left, right and centre all over the place. It's tempting to think Gonzo had no chance in the final vs him, or even Burgerdatis in 06, but the cold hard truth is Gonzo had set points in the first set of the 07 final, and only lost the other two sets by one break. Burgerdatis had Fed at 5-7 0-2 40-30 before the 06 final turned around.

Inspite of winning 07 AO without dropping a set of tennis, I don't think Fed ever actually reached his peak at AO. Nadal didn't drop a set in 2010 French Open yet still played pretty poorly compared to 08, almost losing to Almagro etc. Roger also struggled in 2006, being pushed all the way by Tommy Haas in the 4th round in a 5th set. Very unusually for peak Fed. The tears in the trophy ceremony showed how hard he had to fight and he knew he had won inspite of playing his best tennis.

The best level I actually thought he showed at AO was in 2009. Shame about the loss in the final. If it had been on rebound ace instead of the much slower plexiclay, maybe the result would have been different. Whos to say. Anyway what do you make of this video?

Now I am the biggest Fed fan going around, but there is no way known to man that Fed's level in this match isn't over hyped. Roddick played absolutely awefully.

This is not even close to the level Fed showed through most of 2005 and 2006. 2005 AO vs Safin was much higher IMO. The closest thing to a sure thing ever in the open era and the only time the semi really was the final. 2009 RG comes close perhaps.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Interesting thread. Federer's game really changed coming out of 2006. Far less power and far more spin. More reliant on opponent errors rather than winners. Fine for the BH and for consistency, but strange decision for his FH. Just watch the 06 Wimby final even, you can see that Fed has completely moved away from power on his FH side. It's strange and I'd like to know the thought process behind it all. I don't think it really helped his game in the long run. Fed was never a huge power player and I think it really hurt him against Nadal because he couldn't hit through him on slow courts anymore.

Similar to Roddick after 04, abandoning aggressive forehand play for grinding, obviously not the same but similar.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Well I think factors like opponents level of play are a huge factor meaning you can't really pinpoint any individual match as being a player's peak level...

But I think this was one of Federer's best ever tournaments in terms of level of play overall :shrug:

No denying Roddick was lacking in ideas - taking no advantage of Federer's short returns it seems.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Well I think factors like opponents level of play are a huge factor meaning you can't really pinpoint any individual match as being a player's peak level...

But I think this was one of Federer's best ever tournaments in terms of level of play overall :shrug:

No denying Roddick was lacking in ideas - taking no advantage of Federer's short returns it seems.
Roddick just wasn't there mentally but yeah Federer was the absolute worst matchup for Roddick.

Even so, Federer was changing by this point and wasn't the same as 04-05 Fed. Too many people think that Federer was always the same and that Roddick was always the same. Their games changed a lot.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
It's even more odd how poor Roddick was because he'd pushed Fed hard at the TMC at the end of 2006 after which he actually seemed to be carrying a bit of belief.

I mean in terms of peak level, it doesn't matter how well you are playing, you are never going to break Roddick that often and that easily if he's anywhere near his best. Hence how hard it is to pick a single best performance in the careers of many top players.

·
Banned
6,672 Posts
Lol @ this guy and his threads. Thanks for reminding us that at MTF when one player utterly outplays another player it surely must mean that the other player sucked. Not to mention the fact that because Fed destroyed the opposition from 2004-2007 it must mean it was a weak era :facepalm:

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
It's even more odd how poor Roddick was because he'd pushed Fed hard at the TMC at the end of 2006 after which he actually seemed to be carrying a bit of belief.

I mean in terms of peak level, it doesn't matter how well you are playing, you are never going to break Roddick that often and that easily if he's anywhere near his best. Hence how hard it is to pick a single best performance in the careers of many top players.
Federer was simply on his game and Roddick wasn't. Fed was amazing and that's just how it goes.

Roddick deserves massive credit for coming back again and again and keeping his career going despite the losses to Fed. Wimbledon 2009 was really sad.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Federer obviously wasn't even that special, Frauddick was just absolutely shit, it really was a weak era. It's not hard to win without losing a set when you play such shit opponents like Frauddick and then facing Gonzales in the final :spit:

Thankfully, this stopped and we don't have to see the weak era players bending over to Federer again

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Lol @ this guy and his threads. Thanks for reminding us that at MTF when one player utterly outplays another player it surely must mean that the other player sucked. Not to mention the fact that because Fed destroyed the opposition from 2004-2007 it must mean it was a weak era :facepalm:
Yeah, I'm not sure what the point of this is. Roddick was playing well and Fed GOATed. Thread.

What else is there to say?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Federer was simply on his game and Roddick wasn't. Fed was amazing and that's just how it goes.

Roddick deserves massive credit for coming back again and again and keeping his career going despite the losses to Fed. Wimbledon 2009 was really sad.
I completely agree. Actually a few weeks ago when we were picking the best performances of the top ten players I went with this for Federer. It depends how closely combined you see the levels of respective players in a match.

As for Roddick, I guess this was the end of the honeymoon with Connors to all intents and purposes - though he didn't collapse afterwards so I don't want to exaggerate this point.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Federer obviously wasn't even that special, Frauddick was just absolutely shit, it really was a weak era. It's not hard to win without losing a set when you play such shit opponents like Frauddick and then facing Gonzales in the final :spit:

Thankfully, this stopped and we don't have to see the weak era players bending over to Federer again
Wut the kek?

·
Registered
28,788 Posts

:confused: Gonzalez was playing great tennis in that tournament, absolutely destroying Nadal on his way to the final. No one but Federer could probably have stopped him. Also why do you have a Federer avatar?

As for this match, Fed played great but Roddick's tactics against Fed was always stupid. Especially his approaches.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
:confused: Gonzalez was playing great tennis in that tournament, absolutely destroying Nadal on his way to the final. No one but Federer could probably have stopped him. Also why do you have a Federer avatar?

As for this match, Fed played great but Roddick's tactics against Fed was always stupid. Especially his approaches.
I was taking the piss, I thought that was obvious

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you go too much into details, it doesn't look like sarcasm/"taking the piss" anymore.
It was blatantly obvious to me that he was being satirical :devil:

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2007 was definately the best he played at the AO with 2005 and 2010 coming in behind.(then 2009 and 2004,Ao 2006 he wasn't himself.
And what can be said about Gonzalez? Imo he played better than both Wawrinka and Del Potro in their slam finals, but he got unlucky by playing fed at his absolute peak.
Yeah but Nadal was a hard court pigeon then to be honest. Even at 2007 and as late as the 2008 US Open he got done like a dinner.

No doubt Gonzo played great, but that Nadal wasn't a shadow of the one who played in the 2009 AO.

I think Murray would have beaten Nadal at 2009AO had he not slipped up to Vercrapsco, but alas we will never know for sure.

Verdasco did have the very real chance to be the suprise finalist at the AO for the 4th year running, but instead we got no 1 v no 2.

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
I gave fraud error more credit than he deserves. 1 more year of weak era shit is a terrible thing to miss.

Gonzalez beating slumping slam players on their worst surface doesn't mean he's god.
Novak would've demolished him, not get lucky set point/break point escapes like fed did against gonzo,
(17 break points: lmfao) dick at Wimbledon, Agassi at fraud indian wells & the us open, and baghdatis and berdych in Australia.

Gonzo was a more focused olympic player, although his 2007 masters cup bashing of federer into submission was glorious orgasm.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts