Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

LP1

FKA twigs is the new R&B sensation. Because yes, R&B is back with a revenge.

I used to dislike most of what came from the artists of the genre, really. But FKA twigs and her debut album, LP1, are almost a life-changing experience, for me anyway.
I had already listened to her first 2 EPs (EP and EP2) and fell in love with tracks like "Weak Spot", "Water Me" or "Papi Pacify". But I felt something bigger could be made of her. And, well, she blossomed and dropped this quiet, chill-y but colossal debut album.

She has that je ne sais quoi that makes her mysterious enough to keep folks hooked, she is damn gorgeous (with superb looks), she can dance (and I'm not very sensitive to such thing, but this is incredible) and, most of all, she is super talented.
She's got everything to be a Pop Icon (the good kind) even before becoming one and without trying.

(both from EP)

(both from EP2)

(both from LP1)

It's obviously not for everyone, because it's arty Pop/R&B, her sound is very bass-dependent and the singing is pretty whispery.

But, to me, that's sex music (figuratively and literally) done absolutely right!
She is the best "new" solo artist by a large margin and her debut is the best album in quite some time. Listen to it, really! (Unfortunately, the links for the 8 remaining songs of the album are being disabled on youtube and almost everywhere.)

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.metacritic.com/music/lp1/fka-twigs

I gave the album a listen today, it is very impressive.
Well, I'm very happy this is getting rave reviews. I dislike a bit the fact that she is loved by Pitchfork, all the Pitchfork-naysayers will undoubtedly create some kind of backlash, just for the sake of bashing it. Many artists have been collateral victims, decreasing their credibility because of it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Pitchfork doesn't really bother me personally and their news section appeals to my music taste, which I happen check from time to time. I always knew it was cool to hate on Pitchfork, but I never knew it was as bad as you say it is. Do you have any examples?

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
will surely be quite popular with depressed teenagers, no doubt.

To me it's just more of the same from a new project. And as a teenager i had my times diving deep in similar music, but i think it stops being interesting when reality hits.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will surely be quite popular with depressed teenagers, no doubt.

To me it's just more of the same from a new project. And as a teenager i had my times diving deep in similar music, but i think it stops being interesting when reality hits.
Your CD is scratched, in my opinion. You have no credibility when it comes to Entertainment.

But you made me laugh, I'll give you that.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pitchfork doesn't really bother me personally and their news section appeals to my music taste, which I happen check from time to time. I always knew it was cool to hate on Pitchfork, but I never knew it was as bad as you say it is. Do you have any examples?
Some notable female performers: Annie, Robyn, M.I.A., ...

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I'm so underwhelmed by her even though I really want to like her music. :bigcry: I like most of the similar artists but she just doesn't have what I look for. IDK how to explain it. On paper, she should be my favourite artist.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm so underwhelmed by her even though I really want to like her music. :bigcry: I like most of the similar artists but she just doesn't have what I look for. IDK how to explain it. On paper, she should be my favourite artist.
The production is a bit harsh to swallow, at first. It's very minimalistic in sound and bold at the same time. It's hard to explain.
Maybe it will grow on you after repeated listening sessions.

Anyway, she is quite the perfect female creature, alien:

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
She looks unique and from what I listened to she sounds unique too, I'll give her that. Probably what she needs to become a star so fair play to her.

·
Banned
17,155 Posts
Well, don't they say 90s are back? I like it but it's too déjà-vuish, more tan 20yrs have passed since trip-hop and it was too good then for a second coming.

Dunno.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Well, don't they say 90s are back? I like it but it's too déjà-vuish, more tan 20yrs have passed since trip-hop and it was too good then for a second coming.

Dunno.
I've heard people say it's a revival of trip-hop, but I personally don't hear the similarity. Only the mood and approach is a bit familiar, but musically I think it's very far away from, say, Massive Attack's Blue Lines. She reminds me more of an experimental version of Beyonce, "R&B".

Anyway, my favourite track is "Pendulum".

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Easily one of the bets tracks of 2014 (even if it was released as a single in January 2015).

The middle eight is absurdly good. :worship:

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Love her. :inlove:

I randomly went on a be more open to new music thing by going on Amazon and looking up albums/artists I liked, and looking in the People Who've Bought This Album Also Buy...

I found here by doing that, and let's say I do not regret it at all... :worship:

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
16mins

I don't especially love her music but I like her voice and she's definitely very talented. What annoys me is that she's trying way too hard to be weird/creepy/different.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
4 out of the 5 songs of the last EP though. That's why it's that long. ("Mothercreep" is so good too, though. It's a shame they didn't extend the video with that song.)

I don't especially love her music but I like her voice and she's definitely very talented. What annoys me is that she's trying way too hard to be weird/creepy/different.
Some people are weird naturally. That's how society perceives them anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts