Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FITD Management for Starters

The Management in a FITD Tournament can be a difficult task, so here there are the steps I follow as a manager.

The attached files are Excel Files (.xlsx), I use them on a Microsoft Windows computer.

32 players draw (new file): https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArlMgkfDfofvgSZUJviTSevZt4EA
32 players draw (old file): https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArlMgkfDfofvgSH6L9uJqmKC6Q2G

64 players draw: https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArlMgkfDfofvgSyS8TapHb_-gxNu

128 players draw: https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArlMgkfDfofvgSR0E_VVFYdoGQjk

The files have 4 tabs:

01 MTF Participants
02 Start
03 Results
04 Sorted Results

The process of FITD Management has 8 steps.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1: Fill the 01 MTF Participants Tab
Process: Slow

You have to Type the name of each MTF Participant in the Row 2, and paste the predictions from row 9 to 44, starting from column C, then column F, etc.

Empty Template

Template Filled with MTF Participants and predictions

Step 2: Fill the 02 Start Tab
Process: Fast

You have to Type the Main Draw of the tournament in the A Column of the tab. This Draw has to be the Final Draw, with all the Qualifiers, Lucky Losers, etc.

Empty template

Template with filled draw (some numbers and names appear automatically)

Step 3: Look the 03 Results Tab
Process: Very Fast

You have to look at the 03 Results Tab, where there should be the name of every MTF participant. Here you can check how many participants are in the tournament.

Bottom of the 03 Results Tab. There are 51 MTF Participants.

Step 4: Back to the 01 MTF Participants Tab, and correct entries.
Process: Slow

In this step you have to correct manually some entries.

To know what entry has to be corrected, in the cell to the left it will show #N/A. If it doesn't have to be corrected, the cell to the left will show OK.

Start of the process.

This MTF Participant has an "OK", there is nothing to correct in his predictions.

Some entries will have "Qualifier" or "Q", you have to type the name of that particular player.

This MTF participant has ERROR to the left of his name, there are things to correct.
A cell says #N/A, the cell to the right has to be corrected.
The "Qualifier" cell has to be corrected with the name of the tennis player.

Some entries will have the name of a player with a mistake, you have to manually type the correct name.

The name of the player has 'zc', it has to be corrected to 'cz'

Some entries look like there are correct, but there is an invisible space after the name. You have to manually delete that space to get the correct name.

There is an invisible space in the cell, after the name of the player; it has to be deleted.

Some entries have a correct name, without a space after the name, but the player has withdrawn from the tournament, and replaced by a Lucky Loser. You have to manually type the name of the Lucky Loser player.

Harrison withdrew before the star of the tournament, so the pick has to be replaced with the name of the Lucky Loser. The same situation happened with Pella, in the pick of the other MTF Participant.

In the A1 cell, the number will show how many participants have their picks fully corrected. When the number in the A1 cell is equal to the number of MTF participants (seen in step 3), the Step 4 will be finished.

Before the corrections, there is a "49" (49 MTF participants have the "OK" sign left to their names)

After the corrections, there is a "51", which is the correct quantity of MTF participants in this tournament.

Step 5: Screen caption of 02 Start Tab

You have to make a Screen Caption of the 02 Start Tab, and post it on the MTF thread.

Screen caption of 02 Start Tab

Step 6: Back to 01 MTF Participants Tab, and fill the tennis results.
Process: Fast.

In column A, you have to type the name of the winners of the tennis matches.

When a player receives a Bye, you have to write the name of the player, followed by a "(Bye)", in the same cell. This prevents giving point to the picks of these players.

The column A (left) has the winners of R1. The players who received a Bye have a "(Bye)" written in the cell.

Step 7: Copy the table of 03 Results Tab, and paste as values to 04 Sorted Result Tab
Process: Medium

When you complete the Step 6 for each round, the results in the 03 Results tab will update automatically.

The 03 Results Tab have cells with complicated formulas, so this tab has not to be modified. Instead, you have to select the table with the results, copy it, and paste as only values in the 04 Sorted Result Tab. Pasting as values makes each cell as simple names and numbers, without the complicated formulas. Now, you can sort the pasted table from maximum to minimum Total points, changing colors, etc.

03 Results Tab. Note the complicated formula of a cell (Spanish version)

04 Sorted Results Tab. Here the results can be sorted from maximum to minimum, and add some colors. To be correctly sorted, the total points column should be copied to a column to the right of the winner pick column, and sorting selecting this copied column.

Step 8: Screen caption to 04 Sorted Results Tab.

You have to make a screen caption of the sorted results, and put it on the MTF thread.

When each round of the tournament is completed, you have to repeat steps 6, 7 and 8.

This set of 8 steps is the process that I find easy to follow, and that I have used in the few managements I have participated. I'm sure other FITD Manager use different Excel Files, with a different process and different steps, but I hope this one may be helpful, at least for new managers without previous experience.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Not all heroes wear capes. Thank you so much for this, Cristian!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff. Does your spreadsheet do 128 person draws?
No, it's only for a 32 players draw; this is because I have managed only 32-players tournaments.

I have the intention to make a template for tournaments of 128 players draw, but to get a right template I think I should necessary be the manager of a 128 draw tournament, because only in the management I can see the results I'm getting from the spreadsheet I'll be developing, which is the best opportunity of fixing the issues and errors I'll get in the process.

Probably my best opportunity to make it happen is to be the manager for the 2018 Indian Wells tournament (if there is no problem, please let me manage that one).

I hope a template for 64-players tournaments could be developed at some time too.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Gotta say your spreadsheet proved to be handy on my first FITD management. Really fantastic work, @Cristian! I hope you could also make a version that works with 48/56/64-player draws, too.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The first post of the thread has now the link to the 128 Players Draw template, and a slightly changed template of the 32 Players Draw.

I want to share additional information not shown in the first post, that could be helpful to new managers.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Preliminar Settings

When starting the corresponding FITD thread in MTF, usually there are 4 starting posts, the first one about the FITD game, the 2nd about the rules, the 3rd about the points, and the 4th about the Draw of the tournament, in a Player 1 vs Player 2 format. To help making this 4th post of the Draw, you could fill the draw in the 02 Start Tab (column A). To the right, the column in gray color will update automatically, which you can select, copy and paste directly to the MTF thread.
If there is a change in the Draw, because of qualifiers being added, or withdrawals, you have to change the names in the A column; the gray column to the right will update automatically.

Initial 02 Start Tab

Tab with filled names in the A column (the names in the column to the right will update automatically)

You can copy the column and paste directly on the MTF thread

Also, in the 03 Results Tab you have to type the points for each round, according to the type of tournament.

You have to check / change the points, according of the tournament.

Step 1: Fill the 01 MTF Participants Tab

Step 2: Fill the 02 Start Tab

If you filled this tab in the Preliminar Settings, you can skip this step.
Anyway, you can check and change the Qualifiers placed in the tournament.

Step 3: Look the 03 Results Tab

Step 4: Back to the 01 MTF Participants Tab, and correct entries.

Step 5: Screen caption of 02 Start Tab

This step can be done copying the data from the Excel file, pasting it in Paint, and then uploading it on the MTF thread.

Select the full table, and copy it.

Paste the table in Paint, save the image, and attach it on the MTF thread.

Step 6: Back to 01 MTF Participants Tab, and fill the tennis results.

Sometimes, after the tournament starts, there are late withdrawals, being replaced by Lucky Losers. This means that every pick made by the MTF players have to be replaced by the Lucky Losers.

In this example, Rublev was participating in the tournament, but withdrew before his first match, being repaced by Lacko

In the 02 Start Tab, you have to replace "Rublev" with "Lacko". The numbers of "Lacko" are update automatically to zero (because no one picked Lacko, since he wasn't originally participating)

In the 01 MTF Participants Tab, you have to correct every Rublev pick, with Lacko. To do this, you can select the whole tab, and click Find and Replace > Replace "Rublev" with "Lacko".

There are "errors" to correct

Select the whole tab, and click Find and Replace > Replace

Search Rublev > Replace with Lacko > Replace All

Succesfully Replaced

If you watch the 02 Results Tab, the numbers of Lacko should be updated automatically to the correct numbers of people who chose Rublev / Lacko.

Step 7: Copy the table of the 03 Results Tab, and paste as values to 04 Sorted Results Tab

After the First Round is completed, in the 03 Results Tab, the results will update automatically. The points will have dynamic colors, with green tones. Usually after a round, you could change the color of the eliminated players to black.

03 Result Tab.

When you copy the table, and paste it as values (and with the format of origin), you will get the table that can be sorted. The points of each round will have dynamic colors in a Green / Red scale. Now, you can delete some unneccesary columns, and sort the table from max to min.

Table pasted in the 04 Sorted Results Tab

Adjusted Table, without unneccesary columns, and with appropiated sizes of columns.

The Total Points is copied to the right

You can select the full table from right to left (excluding the yellow column) and sort it

Sorted Table

Step 8: Screen caption to 04 Sorted Results Tab.

You can select the full sorted table, copy it, and paste in Paint.

Select the full table, and copy it

Paste the table in Paint, and attach it on the MTF thread

When each round of the tournament is completed, you have to repeat steps 6, 7 and 8.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw that, but it won't let me edit in browser...
I think the only way the Excel file can be edited is downloading it to the computer, and then edit the downloaded file. This is to keep "clean" the "original file", and ready for future managements.
Sadly I don't know if it can be used outside a Microsoft Windows computer.

·
Administrator
10,255 Posts
I think the only way the Excel file can be edited is downloading it to the computer, and then edit the downloaded file. This is to keep "clean" the "original file", and ready for future managements.
Sadly I don't know if it can be used outside a Microsoft Windows computer.
Hmmmm ok. Weird because I used the old 32 draw sheet on excel online this week in Basel but the 64 draw one doesn't give me the option to open in browser. Is it possible the share settings are different

Edit: oh crap, you gave editing privileges to the old 32 draw sheet. What I thought was a new spreadsheet must've been the exact copy you used. Sorry about that. You can probably delete the old link now. :sad:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmmm ok. Weird because I used the old 32 draw sheet on excel online this week in Basel but the 64 draw one doesn't give me the option to open in browser. Is it possible the share settings are different

Edit: oh crap, you gave editing privileges to the old 32 draw sheet. What I thought was a new spreadsheet must've been the exact copy you used. Sorry about that. You can probably delete the old link now. :sad:
:lol:
Interesting, in my daily activities I don't use this OneDrive thing, so I didn't know anything about editing the files online.
I just saw edited the 32 players file with your management. Don't worry about it, it's now an "example" of a finished management.

I think this link now has the 64 player draw with editing privileges:
https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArlMgkfDfofvgSzvCw5_RWN8v6vL

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
@Cristian i am looking to start managing some tournaments but when i go into the 32 draw sheet i am unable to edit as its in read only mode. Can this be fixed?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Cristian i am looking to start managing some tournaments but when i go into the 32 draw sheet i am unable to edit as its in read only mode. Can this be fixed?
No, it must be downloaded, and then it should be used as a file in a computer. That is to keep the drawsheet "safe" from eventual changes in the formulas.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
@Cristian Your links to the spreadsheets are coming up unavailable for me mate

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I don't know what could be the problem... Could you send me a screenshot of the issue?
I found a copy I saved to my computer so it was okay in the end.

When I click the new or old 32 draw files I get this

Edit: It's alright it was my fault! I was logged in as my old 365 log-in. Doh!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts