Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I suggest we merge the rankings with the race. We have enough problems without having two separate ranking systems...

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Race should just really show how well you are doing through the year and mimic the Rankings. (So Mandatory's + best 10 other)

Rankings should be 52 week cycle. So YEC/WTF stays there until it is played again the following year (then it drops off and replaced by the new YEC points). EDIT: retracted :D

Qualifying for the current YEC should not include the previous years YEC points which is why the Race is important because it doesn't show those points at all. In this case, the rankings and race will always be slightly different, even for end of year as Rankings will still include YEC from year before.

I think in this case, Synesthetic should still be #1 ranked until after YEC 2016 has been played. EDIT: I just noticed the ATP drops the YEC points after Paris. So I retract my last comment. :D

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Okay, now that the season is over, shall we vote on whether the race should be merged with rankings (or only one kept)?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
So I guess the specific problems were as follows:

1. Having both Rankings and Race which are calculated in a different manner. There is no need for seeds in FITD so there is no point in having two.

Options:
A. keep both of them
B. keep just the Rankings format (where 24 tournaments are counted: 4 GS + WTF + 9 ATP 1000 + best 10 ATP250/500 tournaments)
C. keep just the Race format (where all tournaments played by a player are counted towards the ranking)

2. Reduce the number of tournaments in order to have less workload on managers and better managing overall.

Options:
A. Keep playing all tournaments.
B. Have a reduced number of tournaments. Tentative schedule:

Code:
Week 1: (250)Doha and (250)Brisbane or Chennai
Week 2: (250)Sydney
Week 3: (GS)Australian Open
Week 4: (250)Montpellier and (250)Sofia or Quito
Week 5: (500)Rotterdam and (250)Memphis or Buenos Aires
Week 6: (500)Rio and (250)Marseille or Delray Beach
Week 7: (500) Dubai and Acapulco
Week 8: (1000) Indian Wells
Week 9: (1000) Miami
Week 10: (250) Houston or Marrakech
Week 11: (1000) Monte Carlo
Week 12: (500) Barcelona
Week 13: (250) Estoril and Munich or Istanbul
Week 14: (1000) Madrid
Week 15: (1000) Rome
Week 16: (250) Nice
Week 17: (GS) Roland Garros
Week 18: (250) Stuttgart
Week 19: (500) Queens or Halle
Week 20: (250) Eastbourne
Week 21: (GS) Wimbledon
Week 22: (250) Bastad and Umag or Newport
Week 23: (500) Hamburg and (250) Gstaad or Atlanta
Week 24: (500) Washington and (250) Los Cabos or Kitzbuhel
Week 25: (1000) Montreal
Week 26: (1000) Cincinati
Week 27: (250) Winston-Salem
Week 28: (GS) USO
Week 29: (250) St Petersburg or Taiwan
Week 30: (250) Chengdu or Shenzhen
Week 31: (500) Beijing or Tokyo
Week 32: (1000) Shanghai
Week 32: (250) Stockholm and Antwerp or Moscow
Week 33: (500) Basel or Vienna
Week 34: (1000) Paris
Week 35: (WTF) London

ATP 250: play 21 out of 39 tournaments.
ATP 500: play 10 out of 13 tournaments
21 tournaments less to manage and we never have 3 tournaments in the same week.

3. Tournaments in the same week can all count for ranking (based on the specific ranking rules. I'm not sure what is the rule used right now.

Options: A. Only one tournament per week (the best result) can count for rankings, even if the player are allowed to play more).
B. All results can be counted for ranking regardless.

I think these are the main problems we can open some polls for. Does anyone agree? :)

·
Registered
17,559 Posts
So I guess the specific problems were as follows:

1. Having both Rankings and Race which are calculated in a different manner. There is no need for seeds in FITD so there is no point in having two.
At least for me the Race should be done in the same way as the ranking, maybe you can add that option too.

And by the way the current rule is that we just count one tournament per week

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
At least for me the Race should be done in the same way as the ranking, maybe you can add that option too.
You mean keeping a Race using the same rules as for Rankings, but considering just the tournaments from the current year? This way, at the end of the season, both Race and Rankings will become the same, right? Considering this, shouldn't we reduce the workload on whoever will take care of this and keep just the Rankings?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Well, since the next year I almost won't manage in TT because of deadline in Europe and I will have more time for FITD. I will try to updated rankings weekly.

But I really think we should make a change, the race and the ranking should have the same system.

@jervisjames

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I'm going to write here what I wrote to jervisjames: can we please just make the rankings in a google doc so that anyone (from the board, I mean, not anyone anyone) can update them if the need arises?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Giving that both Brian and jj offered to take care of this, I think they can both have access to a common file and update each when they have time. This way we can make sure that at all times there will be someone available to do it during the year and it won't be all work on one person.
@bry17may @jervisjames

·
Registered
875 Posts
Maybe a doubles FITD at the slams would be a nice addition?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts