Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,759 Posts
I think most of the people who go crazy with fist pumping are doing it as a natural reaction, it is just part of their personality and game. At this point in their career it is like second nature to them, and they somewhat rely on the energy and reaffirmation it provides for themselves. That said there are obviously some people who go wild and it really isn't all that genuine.

I myself will occasionally clench my fist if I win a key point, hit a superb shot, or something like that, but I really think people make themselves look quite retarded if they go overboard with the fist pumping or come on's. I think most people who do this are doing it not for the purpose of annoying people or as a ploy, it just kind of happens. Still though, I bet lots of people would be really suprised if they watched themselves playing and saw and heard the way they act after points.

·
Registered
205 Posts
delsa said:
It depends on how it's done and in which context...
I totally agree :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
I loved Nadals over the top first pump after that half volley against Soderling, i bet that f*cked him off no end in what is already an ill tempered match... :)

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Soderling was using the fist pump excessively yesterday. There is a line somewhere.

·
Registered
711 Posts
As a kid playing competitive tennis, that's what you do. It just becomes engrained in you, there's nothing wrong with that form of celebration. Unnecessary grunting is what I have a problem with.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I have no problem with it at all, unless it's being done on an opponent's UE. THAT is absolutely NOT DONE.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have no problem with it at all, unless it's being done on an opponent's UE. THAT is absolutely NOT DONE.
Unless it is an extremely critical point and it is done in a very subtle fashion. You have got to have fire and passion in the game to make up for players who may have lack of game.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Unless it is an extremely critical point and it is done in a very subtle fashion. You have got to have fire and passion in the game to make up for players who may have lack of game.
Yes indeed. There are situations when it's acceptable - setpoints, breaks - I don't think it's classy but I can surely understand why players do so on such moments.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
both.

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
Also I think for many it will always depend also on the factor which player is doing it. Because that's how people are and perceive it because especially the fans and constant followers of the game make up their mind about players at some time.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Ploy, only idiots do it i.e Nadal and Roddick

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
Ploy, only idiots do it i.e Nadal and Roddick
Do you further differentiate by how often a player does it, or do you say everybody who does it, no matter if once or 50 times, is an idiot?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts