Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SI Players lobs to Rafael Nadal just before the Open
As told to Richard Deitsch

ON HIS MANY NICKNAMES IN THE PRESS SUCH AS GLADIATOR, WONDER BOY, GERONIMO, HERCULES
I prefer Rafael. But just call me whatever you like.

ON HIS HOMETOWN OF MANACOR, ON THE MEDITERRANEAN ISLAND OF MAJORCA
It's a very small village. Everybody knows each other. I live by the sea and during the summer I go to the beach, play golf, watch movies and fish. In the first week of August I went out tuna fishing with Carlos Moya and I caught 12 fish!

ON LEARNING ENGLISH
I don't take classes very often because I'm always abroad. My English is not good right now, but I have the courage to speak and that is a big thing for me. English is not a hard language to learn. It's just a matter of practice. I also understand a bit of Portuguese and a bit of Italian but I don't speak them.

ON READING FOR RELAXATION
A few months ago I finished La Tapadora [John Grisham's The Partner] and I just read La Ciudad De Las Bestias [The City of the Beasts] by Isabel Allende. At the moment I'm not reading anything. Too busy.

ON WHAT THE LEFTY PLAYER DOES WITH HIS RIGHT HAND
Everything, except tennis. I write, play golf and eat with my right hand. I don't know why this is. Moya is the other way around. He is a righty in tennis but does everything else with his left hand.

ON HIS FLASHY OUTFITS
I don't have anything to do with the design. Nike gave me some pants to try on. I said I liked them and so I played with them. The look and outfit feels normal to me.

ON HIS MUSIC CHOICES
I like Latin music like Maná and Alejandro Sanz. Right now I'm listening to The Best of Me, the greatest hits of Bryan Adams. I like this very much.

ON WHAT STROKE HE WOULD STEAL FROM ANOTHER PLAYER
Roger Federer's forehand. It's the best.

ON HIS FAVORITE U.S. CITIES
New York and Miami. New York a little more because it seems more spectacular. The city itself, the buildings, the general city atmosphere. Espectacular.

ON HOW HIS LIFE HAS CHANGED SINCE WINNING MAY'S FRENCH OPEN
Not much. My friends are the same. When I go back to my city, I do the same thing with the same people.

ON HIS COMFORT ON HARDCOURTS
I made the finals in Miami and the fourth round in Australia, so I don't play so badly on hardcourt. But, obviously, I don't feel as comfortable as I do on clay. I don't look at goals for the U.S. Open. I know I have to be at my best level to play well there.

ON WHOM HE WATCHED GROWING UP
Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi. They are the players I most remember from when I was small. And of course Spanish players like Moya.

ON LIVING WITH HIS MOM AND DAD AND UNCLES
There's nothing bad about living at home. I have a family that I get along with very well. The time I get to be at home, I value a great deal because I'm not there much.

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
Nice Interview

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice interview :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
thnks for the post.

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
Thank you, Mirkaland. :)

In a lot of his interviews, you get the impression that he's indeed down to earth and he doesn't get carried away by all the hype.
But, obviously, I don't feel as comfortable as I do on clay. I don't look at goals for the U.S. Open. I know I have to be at my best level to play well there.
Let the others set incredible goals and let him just get on with things. One match at a time.
Indeed, he'll need to bring his best level to the USO.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah he is a cool kid and certainly seems to be flying under the radar screen this US Open. I know he went home after his loss in Cincy. Does anyone know when he arrived in NYC?

·
Registered
26,748 Posts
mirkaland said:
Yeah he is a cool kid and certainly seems to be flying under the radar screen this US Open. I know he went home after his loss in Cincy. Does anyone know when he arrived in NYC?
2 or 3 days ago i believe

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Thanks Mirkaland. for the Nadal Q and A..i'm impressed he reads Isabel Allende...& is this a Roger quote? "I would like to be loved, to have fans around the world. I had a moment last year when I felt people always wanted me to lose because I was winning too much. Now I think differently about that. Maybe losing in the Australian, but fighting and fighting, showed I was human. In Paris when I lost I felt the fans were for me. Those losses were so important to me. They made a difference in how fans see me and how I see the game."

·
Registered
369 Posts
:inlove: Aaaaaaaaaaaw, so cute !!! :angel:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
thanks Mirkaland, for posting the interview,it's really nice,and i really hope Rafael 'll keep his down to earth attitudes along while time goes on inshALLAh it's admirable..and it's wise of him to look that way at the Us open, hope he does his best too and gains better experience..(and results inshALLAH.. ;) )

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
:lol: Rafa liking Alejandro Sanz!:worship:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts