Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's up to create this site? I just may shoot myself if I have to keep listening to him during tennis matches. Not only does he find ways to get on his knees for boy Roddick no matter who's playing but his bias is on another level. I always expect bias when commentators are watching players from their country but this is down right brutal.

Watching him during this Blake/Santoro match is hilarious, when Blake breaks Santoro at love in the 3rd set: "THERE YOU GO JAMES, WHAT A TACTIC TO CONSERVE YOUR ENERGY IN THE 3RD SET TO BREAK SANTORO. SMART PLAY FROM JAMES."

Then comes the next game where Santoro breaks back James at love. What do we hear from Gimelstob? That entire game he did not say a word. Not a single word.

Oh yeah to make it worse, his voice is terrible for TV. It's not something you want to listen to for a long period of time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd listen to Ted Robinson by himself all day after having to listen to the Barry Tompkins/Gimelstob combo for IW.

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Who's up to create this site? I just may shoot myself if I have to keep listening to him during tennis matches. Not only does he find ways to get on his knees for boy Roddick no matter who's playing but his bias is on another level. I always expect bias when commentators are watching players from their country but this is down right brutal.

Watching him during this Blake/Santoro match is hilarious, when Blake breaks Santoro at love in the 3rd set: "THERE YOU GO JAMES, WHAT A TACTIC TO CONSERVE YOUR ENERGY IN THE 3RD SET TO BREAK SANTORO. SMART PLAY FROM JAMES."

Then comes the next game where Santoro breaks back James at love. What do we hear from Gimelstob? That entire game he did not say a word. Not a single word.

Oh yeah to make it worse, his voice is terrible for TV. It's not something you want to listen to for a long period of time.
Move to the UK - we don't get his commentary here :) Our commentators are still very biased though - I think it kind of goes with the territory!

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Commentators who commentate in a particular country are gonna be biased because of their audience.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'd listen to Ted Robinson by himself all day after having to listen to the Barry Tompkins/Gimelstob combo for IW.
I second that motion!!

He has such a frat boy mentality, that it's hard to listen to him talk. The Santoro/Blake was excruciating to watch because of Gimbelstob.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
If you hate him that much, then you should write directly to Fox Sports and tell them. That would take about the same amount of time as posting here at MTF.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
^^^ And probably do about the same amount of good.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I dont listen to him that match... Only youtube really but i agree...And his voice REALLY is annoying.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I hate Gimelstob too! And I am glad that we have this kind of threads to show our hate and do not keep it for ourselves!

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Hating and having someone die just because you don't like their commentary is a bit too much.

Reactions: DhammaTiger

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Gibelstob is exceptionally terrible. He just is not a great commentator at all. During Indian Wells when he said that Fish has one of the best serves on the tour, that's when I knew that he was crazy.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Move to the UK - we don't get his commentary here :) Our commentators are still very biased though - I think it kind of goes with the territory!
No, move to Egypt! Becaus ethe commentators are all football football football and can barely pronounce any players names...And they show football ads during rain delays which is way better that showing another match:eek:

·
Registered
914 Posts
I usually mute the commentary on all sporting events, except for a few done by people like McEnroe. They rarely tell you anything you don't know.

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
I usually mute the commentary on all sporting events, except for a few done by people like McEnroe. They rarely tell you anything you don't know.
I like hearing the sounds of tennis - the sounds the ball makes when it comes off the racquet, the squeaks of the shoes, the crack of the serves, the crowd reactions, when players talk to themselves, all that stuff. I've just learned to pretty much tune out the commentating, I dunno why other people feel the need to whine about it and wish bad things upon the people they don't like. Just tune it out, it's not that hard. Or laugh at it - that makes it fun.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts