·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer inks deal with IMG

By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

Roger Federer has relented.

The 24-year-old from Switzerland, who is ranked No. 1 in the world, was the most high-profile athlete in all of the sporting world not to have representation. But on Monday, IMG, the world's largest sports marketing and management agency, announced it had signed him.

"Roger is an international superstar on and off the court and has emerged as a global icon," IMG chairman Ted Forstmann said in a statement. "I am delighted to have the opportunity to work with him both on his business and philanthropic efforts throughout the world."

Federer, who has earned almost $20 million on the court, currently has endorsement deals with Nike, Wilson, Maurice Lacroix and Swiss International Airlines. His parents and his girlfriend have previously handled much of his schedule.

"I continue to work with my team and can use the advantages of both the existing lean structure and a worldwide network at the same time," Federer said.

In an interview for ESPN's "Outside the Lines" filmed last month, Federer said he didn't have an agent because he wanted to be surrounded by people he could trust.

"I really have to say that is maybe one of the reasons I played so well," Federer said. "Because I was really sure what was going on off the court, so I was really happy on the court as well."

Many tennis agents were concerned that Federer did not have an agent because they believed that he was not maximizing his value on endorsement deals. If the world's best player wasn't getting top dollar, it could trickle down to the rest of the industry.

"If he's leaving money on the table, hopefully some of the rest of us can get a little bit of that," James Blake told ESPN, just days before he began his run to the quarterfinals in the U.S. Open.

Federer, who has six career titles, is coming off his second straight U.S. Open victory. The tennis racket used by Federer to beat Andre Agassi in the U.S. Open final is currently up for auction to benefit the victims of Hurricane Katrina. The top bid has surpassed $25,000.

IMG represents some of the world's top tennis players including Blake, Rafael Nadal, Maria Sharapova, Lindsay Davenport and Venus Williams.

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at [email protected].

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2166077

·
Mom 2 2 Beauties
11,927 Posts
Damn. I was hoping Roger could/would continue to hold out.

EDIT to add: This is the statement that irks me the most:

Many tennis agents were concerned that Federer did not have an agent because they believed that he was not maximizing his value on endorsement deals. If the world's best player wasn't getting top dollar, it could trickle down to the rest of the industry.
:fiery:

·
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
5,067 Posts
Fed and Rafa represented by same company IMG. ;)

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
It was a matter of time..................I'm not surprised.............I think it can be a wise decision.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
It's better for him. Now there's less reason for him to constantly have his family come with him. It'll put things in perspective, and help him mature some more.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Domino said:
It's better for him. Now there's less reason for him to constantly have his family come with him. It'll put things in perspective, and help him mature some more.
Robert doesn' t go to many events and Lynette only goes to a few more, maybe the real boss needed a break.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Fed gets an agent...Andre drops Nike for Adidas...what is this world coming to?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
Robert doesn' t go to many events and Lynette only goes to a few more, maybe the real boss needed a break.
I wanted to say that, but thought I might get bashing from Mirka fans.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Domino said:
I mean I am supposed to be a Fed hater, but we all know Mirka is the boss, but Federer is the moneymaker.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
I'm a bit surprised beceause a while back he said the structure was a long-term solution, unlike having no coach. Although in his statement he doesn't say anything about IMG replacing the current RF management team, just supplementing them. I think he did something similar with his communications - hired some firm in Germany to handle media and then his GF became his full-time personal assistant. My guess is the current team was a bit too lean (and not as experienced either) and the job was too stressfull.

Hopefully IMG won't have him doing silly TV commercials though.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Domino said:
You shouldn't get any...you won't from me at least. I'm sure the job she had was very stressful and this is probably a good thing for their relationship. I'm sure she'll continue to be his PA in some way or another.

·
F***ing have it
17,562 Posts
:lol: So that was the problem. Management stress was making her to eat like crazy :toothy: :smash: :tape:

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
mirkaland said:
I'm a bit surprised beceause a while back he said the structure was a long-term solution, unlike having no coach. Although in his statement he doesn't say anything about IMG replacing the current RF management team, just supplementing them. I think he did something similar with his communications - hired some firm in Germany to handle media and then his GF became his full-time personal assistant. My guess is the current team was a bit too lean (and not as experienced either) and the job was too stressfull.

Hopefully IMG won't have him doing silly TV commercials though.

As I said, I think it was a wise decision. These people have more experience. However, Roger seems like a smart chap so I do hope that he will still have his parents keep a close eye the decisions being made by IMG.

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
mirkaland said:
You shouldn't get any...you won't from me at least. I'm sure the job she had was very stressful and this is probably a good thing for their relationship. I'm sure she'll continue to be his PA in some way or another.

What does being a personal assistant have to do with IMG? They aren't taking away her job. And I doubt she is or ever was qualified to go to a business meeting and broker a financial deal on behalf of Roger. Of course, I don't know that much about her or them so I could be wrong. But I was under the impression that his parents handled that aspect of his life.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
mangoes said:
As I said, I think it was a wise decision. These people have more experience. However, Roger seems like a smart chap so I do hope that he will still have his parents keep a close eye the decisions being made by IMG.
Well Roger used the word "partnership" in the press release and the headline was "Roger Federer adds IMG to his team", so my guess is ultimately he'll still be calling the shots but his exiting team will get a break. It's probably better this way because after going solo for a few years Roger is wiser and won't allow himself to be screwed over in any way. His current team alone was never going to be able to get to the next level and turn him into a global brand, but with IMG on board the probably can.

·
F***ing have it
17,562 Posts
It reads IMG, not FMG so Mirka will keep her main job as long as she can keep her weight too :devil:

·
F***ing have it
17,562 Posts
mirkaland said:
His current team alone was never going to be able to get to the next level and turn him into a global brand, but with IMG on board the probably can.
:eek: :speakles: JesusFed perfume, JesusFed shoes and suit .. :bolt:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts